Thanksgiving on the Sunshine?

WayTooCool

We were on the Sunshine Thanksgiving 2014. Pretty typical dinner choices. Turkey was fine. The pumpkin pie was a disappointment. But it was neat being on the ship during a holiday week since we had the whole family. There wasn't a whole lot different for the cruise as a whole, though.

If you like football, get to the sports bar early. It was crowded, but fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have cruised during thanksgiving 6 years in a row. Last year we were on Sunshine. They didn't put up any Christmas decor. But when we were on Glory a few years before they did have Christmas decor up. The menu on thanksgiving has the option turkey and dressing and pumpkin pie for dessert. They had the football games on in the sport bar. Other than that you they don't do anything else special.

A few years ago on Thanksgiving aboard the Freedom we were hanging out on the Lido deck and a helicopter at about 1000 feet upstarted circling the ship trailing a banner saying "Happy Thanksgiving From Carnival Cruise Lines"

A few minutes later some dark objects began falling from the hovering helicopter. They began hitting the deck and splattering everywhere. Turns out, they were live turkeys!! People were running and screaming and it was shear pandemonium and chaos with blood and feathers everywhere.

Later that night, Brad the cruise director, totally bewildered and disheveled, assembled everyone in the main theater to apologize and ended it by stating "As god is my witness .. I thought turkeys could fly."

One of my favorites

There were 13 of us (family and friends) who cruised on the Sunshine last Thanksgiving.

We didn't really know what to expect either but we had a great time! It was crowded which we expected since it was a holiday and lots of kids are out for the entire week of Thanksgiving now (including ours).

Weather was great that time of year - still hot but not unbearable.

Didn't do the turkey for Thanksgiving in the MDR because it didn't look appealing to me, but some others did and said it was ok.

Like others have said, other than the turkey offered on Thanksgiving it's pretty much just like any other week of cruising. There weren't any Christmas decorations up yet but they did have some Black Friday sales in the shops.

Have fun - wish we were going again!

Don't expect too much. Turkey and dressing in the MDR...the turkey looks like a a processed turkey meat. Not good and forget the dressing, the pumpkin pie, IMHO, not edible.

The buffet has a whole turkey that they carve.

Christmas decorations will be going up on some ships, just depends on the schedule for the ship you are on. JH gives out a schedule usually a few weeks before hand.