Double port charges for solo cruiser??

VegasMark

I recently booked a cruise through a TA. The cruise rate (including port charges) was $560 pp double occupancy or $1120 for a solo cruiser. Government taxes and fees were extra, and I was only charged "one set" of these fees. So of the $560, some part of that is port charges... let's just say it is $100. So my question is, why am I paying the $100 for the mythical second passenger in my cabin? Shouldn't I only pay $460 for the second passenger? Isn't the cruise line therefore pocketing the extra $100 that was supposed to be paid to the various ports? If I'm missing something here, please let me know. I'm just trying to noodle through this one. Thanks!!

I recently booked a cruise through a TA. The cruise rate (including port charges) was $560 pp double occupancy or $1120 for a solo cruiser. Government taxes and fees were extra, and I was only charged "one set" of these fees. So of the $560, some part of that is port charges... let's just say it is $100. So my question is, why am I paying the $100 for the mythical second passenger in my cabin? Shouldn't I only pay $460 for the second passenger? Isn't the cruise line therefore pocketing the extra $100 that was supposed to be paid to the various ports? If I'm missing something here, please let me know. I'm just trying to noodle through this one. Thanks!!

I can't speak as to what your TA charged you but Royal does not charge solo cruises double port fees and taxes. You need to take this up with your TA.

Royal's pricing would be something like this. $500pp + taxes($100)

2 people $1200

Solo $1100

Edited by Ourusualbeach

When I book solo over 25 times. The port charges were included in the fees and taxes. I would question the TA. I could just be the way they have it broken down on the invoice. Did you check the price yourself, on RCCL website by doing a mock reservation to see the total cost?

BTW I have never paid 200% for a solo cabin. Keep checking prices for a price drop, as long as it's before final payment.

Hello,

This side of the pond, 'Government taxes and fees' covers port fees - and (with RCI) I only every pay one lot of those.

I don't think you have a problem.

Regards,

Cublet

PS: This is not the case for Viking cruises however!

Edited by cublet

Thank you for the replies so far. I should have started this post with a history lesson. There are three categories you are charged for when you purchase a cruise: cruise fare, port charges, and government taxes. There was a time when cruise lines would not add port charges to advertised rates. There were lawsuits and now cruise lines must add port charges to the advertised cruise fare. This applies to fares in the US, I can't speak for international pricing.

So the advertised fare of $560 on my cruise includes the port charges. The $107 extra encompasses the taxes. I am only paying the $107 once, but as this is a 200% sailing, I need to pay the $560 twice. But I would argue that some portion of the second $560 is port charges for a non-existent passenger. So unless the cruise line is charged by the ports for each berth on the ship, regardless of its occupancy (I'd argue that this isn't the case, but I'm not sure).

Also, someone mentioned that they have never paid 200% on a solo cabin - kudos to you. I've been following early December sailings (a very slow time for cruise lines) for a couple of months, and the only exceptions to the 200% standard are a couple of NCL options and a couple of Carnival options. I'm happy with the deal that I got, I just want to know why I'm paying port charges for the mythical second person. Let me be clear that I'm not paying double taxes.

Thank you for the replies so far. I should have started this post with a history lesson. There are three categories you are charged for when you purchase a cruise: cruise fare, port charges, and government taxes. There was a time when cruise lines would not add port charges to advertised rates. There were lawsuits and now cruise lines must add port charges to the advertised cruise fare. This applies to fares in the US, I can't speak for international pricing.

So the advertised fare of $560 on my cruise includes the port charges. The $107 extra encompasses the taxes. I am only paying the $107 once, but as this is a 200% sailing, I need to pay the $560 twice. But I would argue that some portion of the second $560 is port charges for a non-existent passenger. So unless the cruise line is charged by the ports for each berth on the ship, regardless of its occupancy (I'd argue that this isn't the case, but I'm not sure).

Also, someone mentioned that they have never paid 200% on a solo cabin - kudos to you. I've been following early December sailings (a very slow time for cruise lines) for a couple of months, and the only exceptions to the 200% standard are a couple of NCL options and a couple of Carnival options. I'm happy with the deal that I got, I just want to know why I'm paying port charges for the mythical second person. Let me be clear that I'm not paying double taxes.

On all my invoices my cruise fare is listed as one line item, my taxes, fees and port charges are listed together as a seperate line item. The port fees are not included in the cruise fare.

On all my invoices my cruise fare is listed as one line item, my taxes, fees and port charges are listed together as a seperate line item. The port fees are not included in the cruise fare.

Mark, ^^^ this.

Port fees and taxes ARE lumped together.

And you pay only one set of those.

From a former TA perspective

When a TA calls in to get a price of a specific cabin, they are given a break down of the cost

the cost of the cruise

the cost of the non commissionables (port fees, fuel, ect) (often $200 or more)

the cost of the tax

Before a few years ago, a solo cruiser only paid the cost of the cruise x 2 and one non commissionable and one tax

Now they charge 2 non commissionable and one tax for a solo making it quite a bit more expensive than it used to be.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Same.

Op are you getting airlines (with their TSA fees and taxes) confused with the cruise stuff? When I book port fees and taxes are not shown up front as part of the fare. And they are clearly separated on the invoice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal changed this a few years ago. They didn't used to double charge

OK - So once again, port charges ARE included in the cruise fare and government taxes/fees are not. I pulled up this http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/23/travel/advertising-for-cruises-to-reflect-real-costs.html?_r=0 article from 1997 which states in part:

After an 18-month investigation by the Florida attorney general, six major cruise lines have agreed to advertise their prices to reflect the total cost of a cruise, including port charges. Until now, port charges, which can represent an added cost of as much as 30 percent, have usually been indicated in ads and brochures only by a notation like ''port charges and gratuities not included.''

So my original question still stands. :p Thanks again for the replies!

From a former TA perspective

When a TA calls in to get a price of a specific cabin, they are given a break down of the cost

the cost of the cruise

the cost of the non commissionables (port fees, fuel, ect) (often $200 or more)

the cost of the tax

Before a few years ago, a solo cruiser only paid the cost of the cruise x 2 and one non commissionable and one tax

Now they charge 2 non commissionable and one tax for a solo making it quite a bit more expensive than it used to be.

Thank you for this response - this makes sense to me. I wonder where the extra money goes? Either the cruise line's pocket, or the ports are taking it... either way I don't quite get it.

Thanks! :D