White Bay no longer primary port for Princess

The_Big_M

When White Bay terminal opened, it was the primary port for Sea, Sun and Dawn Princess when in Sydney.

However, a few months back Princess appear to have reprioritised the Sydney ports. Now those ships will use OPT as the primary and only go to White Bay when OPT is not available.

I'm happy with the change myself, but am not sure of the driver. Costs changed as well this year, so not sure if it was that and/or a combination of logistics or passenger preferences, or maybe just scheduling with P&O.

Anyway, good news imo for those on Princess cruises through Sydney.

When White Bay terminal opened, it was the primary port for Sea, Sun and Dawn Princess when in Sydney.

However, a few months back Princess appear to have reprioritised the Sydney ports. Now those ships will use OPT as the primary and only go to White Bay when OPT is not available.

I'm happy with the change myself, but am not sure of the driver. Costs changed as well this year, so not sure if it was that and/or a combination of logistics or passenger preferences, or maybe just scheduling with P&O.

Anyway, good news imo for those on Princess cruises through Sydney.

Could it have something to do with the requirement for low sulphur fuel at White Bay?

Could it have something to do with the requirement for low sulphur fuel at White Bay?

I doubt it, since those regulations applied to all of Sydney Harbour. Though there's a recent update this year which has nullified the legislation, but they're still voluntarily complying...

http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/MediaInformation/white-bay.htm

Possibly it is the Harbour Authority making the allocation, I doubt that the cruise lines get to pick and choose. Last November the Dawn Princess left from WB and returned to OPT, this November it is doing the reverse, out OPT back WB.

Edited by Russell21

Yes, I must say that I would have thought it would be the Port Authority who allocates the terminal space - naturally taking into consideration the size of the ships. I note that for our next two cruises, the Sea Princess leaves from the OPT in April and the Sun Princess leaves from White Bay in November.:)

Yes, I must say that I would have thought it would be the Port Authority who allocates the terminal space - naturally taking into consideration the size of the ships. I note that for our next two cruises, the Sea Princess leaves from the OPT in April and the Sun Princess leaves from White Bay in November.:)

Yes, Princess still uses White Bay, when another ship in OPT has taken priority. In November, Carnival Spirit and Explorer are berthed in Sydney on the same days so take priority since they can't use White Bay. However, when there isn't another ship that needs OPT, Princess has switched to using it instead of basing at White Bay.

We are supposed to be leaving on Dawn Princess on 6th November from

OPT back into white bay, can someone see if there is another ship in on

that date.

The Explorer of the Seas is at OPT on the 20th November.....your return date

Edited by cheznandy