Insecticide spraying

lagoon380

Les, I just wanted to say I love your avatar photo:)

After all these years, I know what you look like:p

Remind me of someone in the job I used to work with;)

Yes, in my twilight years I have come out of my shell Chez.

They used to spray all incoming flights to Australia but haven't seen it done for ages now (though there was one recently but I can't remember where I was, certainly not inbound to Australia). It was not so much for disease of humans but rather to kill off any bugs that might affect Australia's crops and agricultural products. Have been at a number of land resorts where spraying for mosquitos around the grounds is a daily occurrence.

Have never seen the practice on a ship.

You mustn't fly very often ! Its still done regularly on many flights inbound into Aus. Its fully dependant on whether the airline has already done it prior to people boarding in accordance with Aus inbound requirements. I have had in in the past 12 months flying back from both South America, New Zealand and also Norfolk island incoming and outgoing.

And yes you are right - its nothing to do with human conditions and zero to do with Zika - all to do with pesky hitchhikers that can destroy out agriculture. Away from the view of passengers planes are sprayed many times a day - in addition to the spraying when we are on board.

I've not personally experienced it on any ships. No idea if any practices are in place in the Caribbean etc for Zika itself.

You mustn't fly very often ! Its still done regularly on many flights inbound into Aus. Its fully dependant on whether the airline has already done it prior to people boarding in accordance with Aus inbound requirements. I have had in in the past 12 months flying back from both South America, New Zealand and also Norfolk island incoming and outgoing.

And yes you are right - its nothing to do with human conditions and zero to do with Zika - all to do with pesky hitchhikers that can destroy out agriculture. Away from the view of passengers planes are sprayed many times a day - in addition to the spraying when we are on board.

I've not personally experienced it on any ships. No idea if any practices are in place in the Caribbean etc for Zika itself.

Whilst I haven't done much international travel this year :( (only one to SE Asia and Japan/Hong Kong then a separate trip to NZ in the next couple of months), I do usually fly 3 or 4 times international long haul a year and can only remember once in the past few years having them come through and spray. Now if they do it before I board then that is a different thing - they may well do this and I wouldn't be surprised at all. Was just saying I haven't seen it happen in the past few years as a passenger on board. They used to do it every flight back in the old days.

Edited by Aussieflyer

The spraying of the aircraft is depending on if it is the regular one that is coming to Australia. By this I mean there is a spray that last for a while and a certificate is held in the cockpit, with the date the aircraft was fumigated, which entitles that aircraft not to be sprayed. Prior to landing in Australia, a radio report is provided to Australian Government with the date on which the aircraft was last fumigated. If it has expired then the aircraft is sprayed. If the airline is sending rotating the aircraft then that aircraft is sprayed prior to or on arrival. As an example I work for an overseas international carrier and we send the same registered aircraft to Sydney all the time, if we change the registered aircraft number to one that has not been fumigated then we do have to spray the aircraft.

Thanks for the information woods cruise. That makes perfect sense as subs occur at varying times depending on whether a plane has gone tech or has some other IRROPS issue. QF (and I presume other airlines) have subbed planes for flights I have been on/booked in the past. The most annoying thing is that my seat choice may change :(