Insecticide spraying

lagoon380

On some flights they spray the plane with insecticide either before you board or in some cases while you are on board just before landing.

This is to control things like the Zika virus etc.

What about cruise ships, do they also spray the ship with insecticide?

On some flights they spray the plane with insecticide either before you board or in some cases while you are on board just before landing.

Not on any I've been on.

Not many insects on a ship either.

I've only seen this when flying to the Galapagos Islands. About half way through the flight the attendants walk through the plane opening the overhead bins. Once they are all open they then walk through spraying into the bins over the passengers heads. My wife breathed through her scarf and I through the top of my undershirt. I think those actions gave us a false sense of protecting our lungs than doing much good.

I understand that only on P@O and Carnival was the killer Spray mandatory normally done at muster drill :D

Regards

John

They used to spray all incoming flights to Australia but haven't seen it done for ages now (though there was one recently but I can't remember where I was, certainly not inbound to Australia). It was not so much for disease of humans but rather to kill off any bugs that might affect Australia's crops and agricultural products. Have been at a number of land resorts where spraying for mosquitos around the grounds is a daily occurrence.

Have never seen the practice on a ship.

I have never been aware of this happening on a cruise ship, but have mainly been on RC with just 1 Carnival cruise (local).

Only ever have had this on a flight once. It was flight from USA to Sydney some years ago. Upon arrival, the announcement was that there was some issue with the paperwork - the certificate had expired or something & that the crew would be coming thru spraying something that was safe to us. Just what you want after travelling for 24+ hours :( They sprayed from pressure pack cans, and soon after we disembarked.

This was before the zika virus issue arose.

Edited by mr walker

Haven't seen it on a ship but who knows if cabin stewards are doing when they clean or do the changeovers.

That's what I was thinking. Who knows whats in those bottles that hang off the trolleys and who knows what they do or spay when we are not in the cabin.With the number of people using each cabin there would have to be some sort of spraying....even if its just for the beds.

That's what I was thinking. Who knows whats in those bottles that hang off the trolleys and who knows what they do or spay when we are not in the cabin.With the number of people using each cabin there would have to be some sort of spraying....even if its just for the beds.

Exactly. It may only be Glen 20 or it may be something much more powerful.

Don't know who he is but apparently he is 50.

Busy boy that 'Stewart.' LOL.

Back to topic...only time I have observed spraying in an aircraft, apart from red wine, coffee and tea going up in turbulence is back in 97, on Cathay Pacific, from HK into Sydney, almost choked us. We have flown from Europe to OZ via HK, Singapore, Bangkok, a lot, but not seen the Mortein out on those infernal flying machines, since 1997.

Re Zyka virus, we are heading to Central America in November, Island Princess - Panama Canal. We have warnings from Princess/US Dept of Health. Some on the roll call are freaking out re Zyka. We are just taking Tropical strength Aeroguard, if required for the jungle walks.

Edited by NSWP

Busy boy that 'Stewart.' LOL.

Back to topic...only time I have observed spraying in an aircraft, apart from red wine, coffee and tea going up in turbulence is back in 97, on Cathay Pacific, from HK into Sydney, almost choked us. We have flown from Europe to OZ via HK, Singapore, Bangkok, a lot, but not seen the Mortein out on those infernal flying machines, since 1997.

Re Zyka virus, we are heading to Central America in November, Island Princess - Panama Canal. We have warnings from Princess/US Dept of Health. Some on the roll call are freaking out re Zyka. We are just taking Tropical strength Aeroguard, if required for the jungle walks.

Just make sure your wife is not pregnant before she travels??? - strong deet based repellants should keep you safe and apply day and night.

Edited by Bpos

Just make sure your wife is not pregnant before she travels??? - strong deet based repellants should keep you safe and apply day and night.

Hah, Hah, pure GOLD, you have observed our avatar photo, over 60 but under 70, pregnant, oh dear. LOL. We had two foals, back in ye olde 1970's.

Edited by NSWP