Hurricane Threat

Mr. SAS

Going to be on the Splendor leaving today. Our itinerary has been changed in that we will be in Cozumel rather than Jamaica on Tuesday. But wondering what the weather conditions will be in Cozumel on that day. We're supposed to do a beach day...:confused: Just wondering what to expect...windy...rain...?

This will be our first "sea vacation" during a hurricane...:cool:

We're leaving on Splendor today too! The storm should not impact the weather in Cozumel. Tuesday is showing as mid 80s with scattered showers. Every other day in the forecast is exactly the same. We should be fine! :)

The pride is going to New York City and St. John.

Not quite the vacation I was planning since all we brought was warm weather clothes. Oh well it's still better than being at work.

We will be safe, and now I have the chance to see the 911 memorial that we've wanted to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might want to consider buying tickets Before you leave if you will also want to visit the museum, or want a guided tour of the memorial.

Directly from the NWS/NHC. Their forecast discussions can be very interesting. In an earlier discussion about Matthew they confirmed that NONE of the hurricane forecast models predicted the abrupt increase in Matthew's strength to a Cat 5...the first Cat 5 hurricane in the Atlantic basin since 2007.

Up until one hour prior to landfall, they were still insisting Charley was going to make a direct hit on Tampa in 2004. The best they can do is take well educated guesses. The best we can all do is have a plan, a back up, and a Hail Mary for all of the possible scenarios.

We booked our flight to Miami for next Saturday 10/8, to sail same day. The hurricane will be far from Miami by then but our problem is that we fly out early in the am from NYC, and some computer models put the hurricane over NY/CT early Saturday. We booked the flight through Carnival and it is non refundable or modifiable unless for weather. Carnival said today that it is too early today to declare the weather issue and switch us to Friday and we have to check back Wednesday. Sucks not knowing anything until Wednesday!

We booked our flight to Miami for next Saturday 10/8, to sail same day. The hurricane will be far from Miami by then but our problem is that we fly out early in the am from NYC, and some computer models put the hurricane over NY/CT early Saturday. We booked the flight through Carnival and it is non refundable or modifiable unless for weather. Carnival said today that it is too early today to declare the weather issue and switch us to Friday and we have to check back Wednesday. Sucks not knowing anything until Wednesday!

Consider your other options and have them in front of you when you call Wednesday. Look to airports further north or south which might be accessible to you. Have flights you see showing availability on Thursday evening or Friday morning in front of you when you call. Ask them specifically for seat assignments. If they seats will be assigned at the gate, tell them to find a flight where you can get assignments, otherwise it is probably an oversell situation and you will be in about the lowest pecking order for getting any available seats.

We booked our flight to Miami for next Saturday 10/8, to sail same day. The hurricane will be far from Miami by then but our problem is that we fly out early in the am from NYC, and some computer models put the hurricane over NY/CT early Saturday.

No way- not even close to NYC by then. It's only moving at about 6 mph.

Find a new model. :rolleyes:

at201614_5day.gif

Not to be to dramatic, but I urge those travelling to the Caribbean on any of the boats to rethink your decisions. My brother Bill was being me this will be the deadliest hurricane since Katrina. It is so big and destructive, they are looking at catagorying it at a Cat 6. Would be a first. Please, if you decide to go against my advice, make sure you have your life vests with you at all times!

I was cruising during Katrina. I never even had to use an umbrella, much less a life jacket. Folks, as others have already said, Carnival WILL keep their ships, and thus you, far away from any risk of damage. Matthew is large, but it does not, nor will it, encompass the entire Caribbean at the same instant.

Hmm... Wonder what that will mean for ships heading back to Port Canaveral next Saturday... Might be a rough ride!

If the path stays as they're predicting right now, I was thinking the same thing. Looks like currently some forecasters are predicting Friday and Saturday off the coast of northern Florida and the Carolinas. I know storms like that can change direction quickly though.

Will be following because my sister is on Magic right now, due to return to Port Canaveral next Saturday.

Up until one hour prior to landfall, they were still insisting Charley was going to make a direct hit on Tampa in 2004. The best they can do is take well educated guesses. The best we can all do is have a plan, a back up, and a Hail Mary for all of the possible scenarios.

I remember that one well, my mother lived in St. Pete. I'm in NJ and I was on the phone with her constantly worried for her. It just did a halt and complete turn around heading west.

Going to be on the Splendor leaving today. Our itinerary has been changed in that we will be in Cozumel rather than Jamaica on Tuesday. But wondering what the weather conditions will be in Cozumel on that day. We're supposed to do a beach day...:confused: Just wondering what to expect...windy...rain...?

This will be our first "sea vacation" during a hurricane...:cool:

Cozumel is nowhere near the hurricane's path. Look at a map, it will make you feel better.

The one ship says it's going to sail an hour early.....does that happen a lot? We are flying in the morning of the cruise in November and my husband doesn't want insurance but can they just switch the sail time like that?

Carnival waited until the last minute with us to bail on Cabo's. We sat outside the port for hours. Then you have to wait for the port to clear so you can leave. The port loses a lot of business when a ship doesn't come ashore and it's not always easy to find an alternate port. Carnival did a fantastic job steering clear of the storm and getting us back to Cabo on what would have been a sea day.

The one ship says it's going to sail an hour early.....does that happen a lot? We are flying in the morning of the cruise in November and my husband doesn't want insurance but can they just switch the sail time like that?

Penny wise and pound foolish. I'm assuming spending $50K for an emergency medical evacuation if one of you comes down with appendicitis or gall stones or something will be no problem for your budget.

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I believe this scenario occurred a few years ago with whichever ship was regularly sailing out of Puerto Rico. A storm was coming in and the port authority was shutting down the port and told the CCL ship to leave. It left several hours early with whoever was onboard. They attempted to get the rest of the guests to the ship once the storm passed, but many people missed the ship (and were refunded).

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Just got off the Splendor Sunday Morning. Matthew was lingering out there and a we were given constant updates. We had to skip Curaçao and went to Aruba a day early. Stupid storm really messed up long established plans. Oh well, the weather was still nice even though the water was a bit choppy.

I remember that one well, my mother lived in St. Pete. I'm in NJ and I was on the phone with her constantly worried for her. It just did a halt and complete turn around heading west.

I also remember this 1, we were on Captivia Island and had to leave on Thursday, sailing from PC on Saturday. Went to Disney World and Charley actually followed up. We sailed on Saturday with a empty ship because they closed the airports on Friday at noon, but that did not effect us, always fly early in hurricane season Our first stop was Key West and Disney bussed the people down, after getting permission from the Jones Act. That thing sounded like a train over us on Friday, all the way to the port we saw the damage. The ship actually sailed behind the storm and made it to port, staying safe.

Track of the storm has really changed this morning. A much more westerly turn now, before it makes a northeasterly turn to head out to sea hopefully. What does this mean? Grand Turk and HMC will be impacted more, and sailings out of fla and this coming Saturday's cruise out of charleston.

a few years ago my wife took the dream out if cape canaveral. As we arrived ar the port we were handed paper notices of route change to western riute in place if the eastern we booked. We got onboard abd cancelled our excursions. rebooked new ones. at the drill we were told they changed their minds. Why? there were couples who planned weddings in st thomas. The weather was horrible. We hugged the coast of cuba. I did question carnivals judgment. So one never knows who makes these decisions.

Track of the storm has really changed this morning. A much more westerly turn now, before it makes a northeasterly turn to head out to sea hopefully. What does this mean? Grand Turk and HMC will be impacted more, and sailings out of fla and this coming Saturday's cruise out of charleston.

Yep waiting to see what happens with our cruise (Sensation)leaving from Miami on Thursday to key west and Cozumel, Who knows if they can even depart or if the Sensation can even get back on time from where they are now.