Hurricane Threat

Mr. SAS

Yeah, since many of you asked, my wife was not able to get rebooked. Needless to say, she is not happy. In fact, I spent the night at my brother's last night since things around the house were tense. I still maintain I did the right thing, whether anyone else agrees or not. She'll eventually see things my way and get over it. Everyone else that is sailing this weekend, stay safe, hope there are no issues.

Wow!!! We are leaving tomorrow on the Glory and I want to cancel because I am a little scared , but my DH want to go on the cruise and I think my marriage comes first

So we are going . Everything is going to be ok.

Wow!!! We are leaving tomorrow on the Glory and I want to cancel because I am a little scared , but my DH want to go on the cruise and I think my marriage comes first

Don't even think of cancelling! That guy was a fool and it may cost him his marriage. (At least if I were his wife it would.)

Analyze... that storm won't even make it to Jamaica until Monday. Florida ports will likely have beautiful weather leaving as the storm is still days away. probably if you were going to Bahamas ports you will instead go on a Western itinerary or another that avoids the trouble. And... while you enjoy a wonderful time the storm will have passed by the time you get back. They deal with this all the time... they will take you on a nice vacation, and not anywhere near a hurricane. Go and have fun!

Now a Category 4 hurricane at the 5:00PM advisory. Jamaica is now under a Hurricane Watch. Itinerary changes are likely going to be coming.

Indeed, and you can be certain there will be itinerary changes, unless you are going west.

However, looking at the chart, Matthew should lose some energy as it passes over the islands. Still formidable, but probably going back to a "2" by Tuesday.

You cruisers will be fine. Don't panic, do something dumb, and cancel! The cruise line WILL keep you safe.

Me, I can't cancel as I am 5 miles from the beach in SE Florida, and we can't move the house. However, I'm confident we will dodge another bullet. Maybe a little wind and rain, maybe. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale should be just fine for departures.

Absolutely no reason to cancel. That guy that cancelled did so with no valid reason. You are going to go and have a great time!! Even if the itinerary changes, you are still on a cruise!!

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Changes so far...

Splendor doing reverse itinerary (Cozumel, GC, Jamaica) instead of Ja, GC, Coz

Paradise doing reverse (Coz then GC)

Sensation doing Cozumel,and GC instead of 1/2 moon and G Turk

I'll LYK if I hear of any others...

I am certainly not concerned with the safety of our cruise. Carnival isn't going to risk a $750 million ship never mind the lives of 5,000 passengers and crew. Shoot, the lost revenue of drink sales alone would be enough to keep any cruise line away from storms.

I am more curious about how the change of ports of call might happen. I have spent weeks researching and plotting out each of our stops. Now I may need to scramble our plans. And I hoped to hear others' accounts of itinerary changes.

In 2006 we we're on the Legend and a hurricane was right in front of us. Coming from NY . Ports we Booked we're San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortola. Ports we went to were pt. Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport. Quite the difference. CCL gave a $25 per person inconvenience fee.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

Changes so far...

Splendor doing reverse itinerary (Cozumel, GC, Jamaica) instead of Ja, GC, Coz

Paradise doing reverse (Coz then GC)

Sensation doing Cozumel,and GC instead of 1/2 moon and G Turk

I'll LYK if I hear of any others...

I've been guessing that would happen, but where did you hear this? It's not on the site yet. I don't want to contact tour vendors until it's official.

Just got on an email concerning the pride, with no changes to the itinerary as of yet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got one concerning Splendor. They reversed our ports (no problem, I figured) but they have us listed as sailing from & to TAMPA! I'm flying to Miami tomorrow morning! How the hell are we getting to Tampa! How the hell am I getting back to Miami for a 1:30pm flight from Miami! :eek:

I'm on hold with guest services. They're trying to find out what's going on. I knew about the itinerary change before her. As she was reading through info she told me the room was going nuts with other Splendor guests calling.

Just got one concerning Splendor. They reversed our ports (no problem, I figured) but they have us listed as sailing from & to TAMPA! I'm flying to Miami tomorrow morning! How the hell are we getting to Tampa! How the hell am I getting back to Miami for a 1:30pm flight from Miami! :eek:

I'm on hold with guest services. They're trying to find out what's going on. I knew about the itinerary change before her. As she was reading through info she told me the room was going nuts with other Splendor guests calling.

Try not to worry, it has to be an error. Splendor would not fit under the Sunshine Skyway![emoji33]

Hopefully, going over Cuba will knock it down a lot, but this one scares me a bit. :eek:

Yeah much better the captive Cubans endure the storm than folks who could whole up in Miami for a day... [emoji849]

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but that just sound bad.

Try not to worry, it has to be an error. Splendor would not fit under the Sunshine Skyway![emoji33]

A lovely woman in guest services confirmed that it was, in fact, an error! It's funny, I totally knew Splendor wouldn't fit into Tampa, but I panicked so quickly & started looking up rental cars and never stopped to let logic set in! ;)

The guest services rep was fantastic. I felt terrible for her because she has no clue what was going on. Apparently all the change emails went out to the guests & then went to the staff next. So they're getting calls they have no resources to answer. Not great planning on carnival's part. All's well that ends well though!

Now to reschedule excursions...

Splendor is reversing (Coz, GC, jam)

Sensation looks like going to be Costa Maya on Monday and Cozumel in Tuesday... But things seem to still be a bit fluid with all the shuffling going on.... Port ops is really scrambling for ALL the cruise lines moving ships around!

We live in Key West and, looking at the storm, if it moves just a little west before it turns north, we're in it. Hopefully, going over Cuba will knock it down a lot, but this one scares me a bit. :eek:

Hi Patrice,

I live a lot closer to the potential path than you do, at Boca Raton.

We are just at the potential edge of it, and I expect it to move further to the northeast. You need something to make it move west, and it's just not there for that to happen, even in forecasts 5 days from now, as depicted below.

You would need a low pressure area close to Florida for it to feed on, and we will not have that. Higher pressure will push it away.

Don't let the green lines on the map concern you, those are barometric isobars, indicating lines of constant pressure, and Florida looks good at 1008 millibars, standard is 1013. No worries.

Just expect the usual afternoon thunderstorms, maybe. We had those today.

While I am not a professional meteorologist, I had to learn a lot about this over 40 years as a pilot. The knowledge keeps us alive!

The Conch Republic will be fine.

*** Disclaimer***

I could be wrong and we have another "Wilma" to deal with, but I doubt it. Remember the news media likes to stir things up to make Publix and Home Depot happy.

9lh.gif

Edited by loubetti

Yeah much better the captive Cubans endure the storm than folks who could whole up in Miami for a day... [emoji849]

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but that just sound bad.

Are you for real? WE LIVE IN SOUTH FLORIDA! :eek:

We're in the same boat.... get it ? We cruise on the Fantasy Mon Oct 3. Don't know whats worse? Riding the waves or hearing my wife's I told you so's...:rolleyes:

None of us are in or on a boat we are on ships! ;) BTW if you have to say "get it" it tells you how 3rd grade it is!

Dang it. We leave Monday on the Elation. First time we've been able to snag a villa on HMC. Disappointed, but that's what happens when you book in October. :D There's no way I'd even consider canceling.

Same here! My kids were so excited about the villa. I'm pretty certain tindering won't be an option for HMC- or anywhere else for that matter- on Wednesday. I've been trying to figure out what an alternate itinerary may be, but I don't see how we get around a cat 4.. maybe pushing cat 5... Can we get far enough out of the way?:(

First cruise