Hurricane Threat

Mr. SAS

I am sorry, but I just don't understand that. The system is not even a tropical depression at this point. There is no reliable forecast tracks at this point. Carnival would never place the ships in harms way. If necessary, an itinerary change would be made. I think cancelling is a little much considering the facts at this point.

I understand that it isn't a full blown hurricane yet. But as I replied to Mr. Ubetti, it's not worth the risk. Once your on the ship and it does become a hurricane, there is no way to get off to stay safe by that time.

I understand that it isn't a full blown hurricane yet. But as I replied to Mr. Ubetti, it's not worth the risk. Once your on the ship and it does become a hurricane, there is no way to get off to stay safe by that time.

There is no risk. If you were going to lose money anyway you should have just waited until more was known. The system is too far out at this point to know where it will even go. It could fizzle out and become nothing. People panic and overreact when there is nothing to worry about yet.

And I'm not sure what a family member passing away from a car accident has to do with anything. No one is going to put their family at risk for a vacation. And neither is a cruise line. They won't sail into a hurricane and put thousands of people at risk. They have and do adjust scheules and ports as they determine where a system will go.

So yes I agree it's crazy for someone to cancel at this point.

Your answers don't make sense. Wasn't there risk just allowing someone to drive a car?

Well Mr. Ubetti, I'm sorry that you don't understand someone whose family's lives are more important than money. I already lost an aunt to a horrible car accident when they were struck by a drunk driver. I'm just not willing to put any more family at risk. I'd rather be safe than sorry...

If cancelling is your way of staying within your comfort zone, then by all means, go ahead and cancel. Fears, rational or not, are real, and if being on a ship that may be affected by a rainstorm can cause you discomfit, then stay home.

There is nothing anyone here can say that will allay your fear.

You will be doing right by cancelling for yourself, your family, and the other passengers on the cruise.

Edited by evandbob

I sailed through Hurricane Ivan on a Royal Caribbean ship. We were in Aruba and had to book it across the Caribbean to get to St Lucia before the storm got into the Gulf. It made for a bumpy night but we were never unsafe. We missed out on Curacao but made the best of it in St Lucia. I have never sailed through or around a storm on Carnival but I trust that they would make the right decisions to keep everyone safe. But to each their own in making decisions that are best for their family.

That being said, we are sailing out of NOLA a week from tomorrow to Cozumel, anyone know what ports, if any, they might re-route to if the storm doesn't turn like they are expecting it to. Growing up on the coast I know they have ZERO idea where its going until the storm gets there :)

Well Mr. Ubetti, I'm sorry that you don't understand someone whose family's lives are more important than money. I already lost an aunt to a horrible car accident when they were struck by a drunk driver. I'm just not willing to put any more family at risk. I'd rather be safe than sorry...

My life is more important than money..I've lost family due to tragic accidents. But I'm not going to jump the gun and cancel a cruise because I'm scared and uninformed. And I'm not remotely scared about this.. A cruise ship is the BEST possible place to be during a hurricane..they have awesome technology to follow where the storm is and route around it. Why in the world would you think Carnival would put anyone at risk?

I'm watching the storm..its looking like it will probably hit where I'm cruising to..still uncertainty though. I'm concerned because I don't want to miss my ports but dang, I'm not about to cancel! Carnival will figure it out, its not their first rodeo :)

This morning's update...Not a tropical depression yet.

Tropical Weather Discussion

Statement as of 8:00 am EDT on September 28, 2016

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of mexico: Reports from an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft indicate that the strong tropical wave located near Barbados is producing winds of 40 to 45 mph. Regardless of whether or not the system becomes a tropical storm before it moves through the Lesser Antilles, tropical-storm-force winds and heavy rains will spread across Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, and St. Lucia today. Satellite and surface observations suggest that the circulation associated with the system has become better defined, and the reconnaissance aircraft is beginning its mission to determine if a tropical storm has formed. The system is moving westward to west-northwestward at around 15 mph, and is expected to pass over the Lesser Antilles later today, and move over the southeastern Caribbean Sea tonight and Thursday.

Model tracks haven't really changed.

I'd venture that Western C cruises leaving this week will be okay.

Eastern and Southern cruises, leaving this week may have some rough seas heading into the SE Caribbean, but ships can maneuver around the storm if needed.

PBFP2008... I empathize with your concerns. And you have to do what you believe to be the best for you. You certainly won't have a nice cruise if you and your family are on pins and needles worrying about a storm. Those of us who've been through this on cruises and elsewhere, have a different perspective given our experience. Personally, I've sailed through tropical storms on smaller vessels than the Pride. I was on an Apollo recovery mission in the Navy on a converted WWII destroyer, bouncing around 3 days in the middle of a Cat 1 waiting for the capsule to land. I've been on sailboats racing across the Pacific with storms blowing us at twice the rated hull speed and big waves building and crashing behind us.

So I feel pretty comfortable on any large ship in a storm or rough seas. But that's my experience.

I hope you do rebook a cruise on the Pride in the future. But perhaps look at dates other than from end of July to end of November to avoid the majority of these events from disrupting your vacation. Best.:)

This morning's update...Not a tropical depression yet.

Tropical Weather Discussion

Statement as of 8:00 am EDT on September 28, 2016

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of mexico: Reports from an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft indicate that the strong tropical wave located near Barbados is producing winds of 40 to 45 mph. Regardless of whether or not the system becomes a tropical storm before it moves through the Lesser Antilles, tropical-storm-force winds and heavy rains will spread across Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, and St. Lucia today. Satellite and surface observations suggest that the circulation associated with the system has become better defined, and the reconnaissance aircraft is beginning its mission to determine if a tropical storm has formed. The system is moving westward to west-northwestward at around 15 mph, and is expected to pass over the Lesser Antilles later today, and move over the southeastern Caribbean Sea tonight and Thursday.

Model tracks haven't really changed.

I'd venture that Western C cruises leaving this week will be okay.

Eastern and Southern cruises, leaving this week may have some rough seas heading into the SE Caribbean, but ships can maneuver around the storm if needed.

Thanks for the update!

I certainly do understand this, but there is absolutely no need for such concerns in this situation. Your analogy to a car accident is also irrelevant.

Decisions made under such potential storm situations and lives being important, come from ignorance of the true facts.

No one's lives are in danger. The ship is not going to crash or sink. Carnival will do all they can to keep you safe. Some rough seas? Perhaps, but no "danger" there.

Sadly, you seem to be of the same mind set as the OP with your perception of these situations.

Wayyyy blown out of proportion. :cool:

Oh, BTW, as you must have signatures turned off, my name is Lou Betti. Google it, see who I am.

Edited by loubetti

I understand your concerns, but it still makes no sense. What risk do you think there is?? The ship will not be anywhere near a hurricane or any tropical storm. Some rough seas? Possible. Dangerous? Absolutely not. Carnival will not put a multi-million dollar ship and its guests in harms way. Again, I understand your concern, but there is absolutely no risk.

Don't know whats worse? Riding the waves or hearing my wife's I told you so's...:rolleyes:

I'll take the waves...

And we don't even know your wife!!! :p

Seriously, the cruise lines (for the most part) re-route to avoid the storms, so I don't think waves should be "that" bad. Waves, to a certain extent, can be fun and make for good sleeping too!

Looks like its formed, name is Matthew. latest forcast from National hurricane center

At 1100 AM AST (1500 UTC), the center of Tropical Storm Matthew was

located near latitude 13.4 North, longitude 60.7 West. Matthew is

moving toward the west near 21 mph (33 km/h). A westward motion with

some decrease in forward speed is expected during the next couple of

days. On the forecast track, the center of Matthew will move

through the Windward Islands during the next couple of hours, and

move over the eastern Caribbean Sea through Friday.

Reports from an Air Force hurricane hunter aircraft indicate

that maximum sustained winds are near 60 mph (95 km/h) with higher

gusts. Gradual strengthening is forecast during the next couple of

days, and Matthew could become a hurricane by Friday.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 205 miles (335 km)

primarily to the notheast of the center.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 1008 mb (29.77 inches).

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND

----------------------

WIND: Tropical storm conditions are expected to spread over

the southern Leeward Islands and northern Windward Islands witin

the next few hours and continue into this evening.

RAINFALL: Matthew is expected to produce total rainfall

accumulations of 4 to 8 inches across the Windward Islands and

southern portions of the Leeward Islands through Thursday. These

rains may produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides.

Rainfall totals of 1 to 2 inches are expected farther to the north

into the northern Leeward Islands, including the United States and

British Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

--------------------

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the French Islands of

Guadeloupe and Martinique.

The government of Barbados has issued a Tropical Storm Warning for

Barbados, Dominica, and St. Vincent and the Grenadine Islands.

The government of St. Lucia has issued a Tropical Storm Warning for

St. Lucia.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...

* Guadeloupe and Martinique

* St. Lucia

* Dominica, Barbados, St. Vincent, and the Grenadine Islands

Interests in Bonaire, Curacao, Aruba, and elsewhere in the Lesser

Antilles should monitor the progress of Matthew.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor

products issued by your national meteorological service.

Edited by lele100

So for those of us on the pride oct 2, if projections are correct, what is plan b for the eastern Caribbean route out of Baltimore?

That's what I'd like to know as well. We are also going on the Pride Oct 2nd.

I'm having nightmares of the last time we were "supposed" to be on the Pride when Hurricane Sandy hit.

We were on the ship (and my mother was unpacked!), and they canceled our cruise while we were on it. They made us get off. Needless to say, I need to quit scheduling cruises out of Baltimore in October. ugh.

Edited by medianeh

So for those of us on the pride oct 2, if projections are correct, what is plan b for the eastern Caribbean route out of Baltimore?

I wish I knew. Maybe they'll just change our order of the ports? Or change the itinerary completely? I just learned that you can signup for text alerts so make sure you do that.

I wish I knew. Maybe they'll just change our order of the ports? Or change the itinerary completely? I just learned that you can signup for text alerts so make sure you do that.

Where did you sign up for text alerts?

Edited by stanatbil

Where did you sign up for text alerts?

This kind person told me how:

Originally Posted by cruiser fanatic View Post

Go to your online check in. Select your name. Click, guest information. Click, edit contact information. Under mobile phone, there will be an option to subscribe to the text alerts. Check the box to subscribe.

This will be my first cruise- sailing out of JAX on Monday for 5 nights to the Bahamas. What will become Matthew will go westward if it strengthens, but more likely will take a north turn and go right over the Bahamas the first of next week. Where could they reroute to for that itinerary? I don't see many options for only 5 nights, but I'm hoping someone else may know. Plan B?

This has always been my main concern - especially flying from Canada - there were times when the 'storm' was bordering the coastline and flights were being cancelled and airports closed - all I cared about was getting to the departure port - and once I was on the ship all would be fine!

...and I would also encourage doing some research on possible other ports in case you are diverted and need to find excursions or stuff to do!;)

Me too..it is getting there and then the arrival and departure ports. In the end the epic stories are the best. Like the big first and rare family trip of this sort to Hawaii with dad and mom in their 40's and snowmobiling out 5 miles to paved road one by one with quickly packed suitcases to Hawaii a couple of days early. The snow that year was epic in the Rockies and we were at 6000 feet. Only real issue was dad bringing no summer clothes due to hell of getting his 5 women there..and all that blizzard snowmobiling and driving. Snow was 2 people high that year at ranch entry coming home. Weather patterns are changing so much over the decades...

Good thoughts for all on this...

Edited by sjn911