Hurricane Threat

Mr. SAS

We were supposed to be on the Pride as well leaving this Sunday. I decided to cancel even though it means losing money. The danger is just to great to risk and neither my or my family's lives are worth the possibility of not coming home.

Wow.. It's way too early to even think about that. They don't even know it's track yet. There is no way Carnival would ever risk anyone's life anyway. They are not going to risk harming their crew, passengers or their ship. They could just change the itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

last year we were scheduled to be in the Bermuda the same day the Hurricane hit the island. Carnival was well prepared and we all were routed down to San Juan instead. Was disappointed to miss Bermuda but at least everyone was safe and the seas were calm. Due to the difference in Port Costs we were all refunded a little. Also they provided us a 25% off another cruise if booked within 6 months.

Well we leave Monday with 4 newbie's coming along with us. I'm not worried in the least, Carnival will take care of us and not put us in harms way. However, we may be going thru some rough seas, so although I don't get seasick, I will be taking some meds with me in case the newbie's didn't bring any. Just hoping we actually get to board on Monday and not have to spend another extra day in Galveston since we plan on getting there on Saturday and exploring on Sunday. Might need to put a few bungee cords in my bag to keep closet doors and such closed.

Maybe I need to throw a hurricane watch party on Friday night for our group that is going......I'm sure that wouldn't cause the newbie's any worries.....right? :p

We leave Sunday too. We're on the Splendor heading to Jamaica, Grand Cayman & Cozumel. The storm seems to be tracking a little south of there at the moment. Honestly, it's too early to tell I think.

I'm slightly worried about our plans being interrupted but I'm not the least bit concerned about safety. I've sailed in the midst of a hurricane before & got stuck in Miami for a day after the cruise. That was the most fun cruise Ive ever been on! Lots of stories came from the experience. We'll have fun no matter what. That's my attitude. I just want to know the deal to prepare because I'm a planner that way.

My family and I are booked on the Dream departing from New Orleans on Sunday with ports of call in Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. Our kids will be out of school on fall break, so we rolled the dice with booking during hurricane season.

Of course, six days before our departure, a tropical disturbance is forming in the Atlantic. The National Hurricane Center is "predicting" a track right across our cruise path for late next week.

Does anyone have any experience with how the cruise line handles a hurricane threat? I can only imagine how much lost revenue a cruise would suffer from drink sales alone if they got anywhere near a major storm. I can envision a "worst case scenario" where Carnival might just write off Belize and Roatan and we hit Progreso, Cozumel and Key West instead.

Thoughts?

They will do whatever it takes to keep you safe.

Latest on L97.

Still forming. Hurricane hunters will be out this afternoon. Next 3-5 days should generate some better direction. Models are all over the place but ensemble models predict a sharp right turn to the north in the next 5 days bringing it up over the island of Hispaniola ( DR and Haiti) then up off the east coast between the mainland and Bermuda.

Tropical Weather Discussion

Statement as of 2:00 am EDT on September 27, 2016

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of mexico: Showers and thunderstorms associated with a broad area of low pressure located about 600 miles east-southeast of the Windward Islands continue to show signs of organization, and a tropical cyclone could be forming. If this trend continues, then a tropical depression or a tropical storm would likely form later today while the system moves west-northwestward to westward at about 20 mph. Interests in the eastern and central Caribbean Sea, including the northern coast of South America, should monitor the progress of this system, and watches or warnings could be required at any time. Regardless of development, heavy rains and strong gusty winds, possibly to tropical storm force, are expected to spread over the Windward Islands and portions of the southern Lesser Antilles beginning tonight and continuing into Wednesday. An Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft is scheduled to investigate the disturbance this afternoon. * Formation chance through 48 hours...high...90 percent * formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent

The big issue is having your embarkation/disembarkation port is being hit by a tropical disturbance!

This has always been my main concern - especially flying from Canada - there were times when the 'storm' was bordering the coastline and flights were being cancelled and airports closed - all I cared about was getting to the departure port - and once I was on the ship all would be fine!

...and I would also encourage doing some research on possible other ports in case you are diverted and need to find excursions or stuff to do!;)

I agree with those who say don't worry about it. At this point, things are still up in the air anyways. My personal advice would be plan to buy one of the internet packages so you can get online and look for alternate excursions when your ports get switched.This way you will be ahead of the game.

Well..that track isn't looking good for me..Grand Turk and Bahamas..

Any ideas of possible itinerary changes that could happen? Hey Bermuda..you're looking pretty good.. ;)

Count the white dots. They end 7 days from now. Assuming, a it's a BIG assumption, unless you're supposed to be in Grand Turk on October 4th h, the track won't affect you. Outside change that weather in Nassau, Freeport or 1/2 Moon Cay next Wednesday could be a little damp, if the storm spreads out.

so again folks, no need to get panicky and attempt to reroute excursions to new unknown ports yet.

The big issue is having your embarkation/disembarkation port is being hit by a tropical disturbance!

Yep exactly that happened to us in August of 2005 when Katrina hit South Florida, We were booked on a 4 day cruise and they sent email a day before saying that the cruise will now be a 2 day cruise and that they would either give all the money back if you want to cancel or if you still wanted to go on the cruise they will give 50 percent back plus a free cruise to use in the future (equivalent) to the 4 day cruise we booked, of course living in south Florida I took the 2 day cruise, 50 percent of my money back and another free cruise.

We were supposed to be on the Pride as well leaving this Sunday. I decided to cancel even though it means losing money. The danger is just to great to risk and neither my or my family's lives are worth the possibility of not coming home.

I am sorry, but I just don't understand that. The system is not even a tropical depression at this point. There is no reliable forecast tracks at this point. Carnival would never place the ships in harms way. If necessary, an itinerary change would be made. I think cancelling is a little much considering the facts at this point.

I simply cannot believe that someone cancelled their cruise and lost money over this!

"Safety", "Danger", whatever else?

Oy! Now I've heard it all! :eek:

Well Mr. Ubetti, I'm sorry that you don't understand someone whose family's lives are more important than money. I already lost an aunt to a horrible car accident when they were struck by a drunk driver. I'm just not willing to put any more family at risk. I'd rather be safe than sorry...