Hurricane Threat

Mr. SAS

This morning's models are in a bit of disagreement as to when and where the storm will turn north and how fast it will move northward. But consensus projection indicate it won't be over Eastern Cuba or Western Haiti or the channel between until next Tuesday and then steer north just outside the NC Outer Banks by the next weekend. So that bodes somewhat favorable for ships leaving Florida this weekend for Western and for Eastern/Southern Caribbean and even the Bahamas. Ways to steer around projected path. But could be an issue for Eastern and Southern C ships returning later in the week or leaving out of northern East Coast ports next weekend.

Leaving from Miami next Thursday, which looks like when it might come to the East coast of the US. We are going to Key West and Cozumel. What are your opinions? What Im afraid of is not being able to leave from Miami.

Hi all. Leaving from Miami on Saturday on the Sensation to the Bahamas and T and C. Travel in that area does not look good right now . What do you think Carnival will do as far as re routing? We are due back in Miami on Thursday.

LOL Tony you come back when we leave on that ship. I have the same concerns, we are going key west and cozumel

I am leaving on CCL Fantasy on Monday 10/3 from Miami to Key West and Cozumel. I'm very curious about how they will handle leaving the port with a hurricane in Cuba. I'm wondering if they will just skip Key West the next day and try to book it to Cozumel away from the storm. Has anyone every had a cruise leaving from Miami with a hurricane approaching the next day?

I was just watching Weather Channel. Still lots of uncertainty. There's a big ridge of high pressure over the Atlantic off the US East Coast and a low over the SouthEast US which will the jet stream a bit further south early next week. Projected tracks say over Eastern Cuba. Western Haiti Channel on Tuesday. That's Well east of Key West for those leaving Monday from Miami. I would venture all Bahama stops next week get cancelled. Hurricane should be closer parallel to NC by Thursday. Big bad stuff will be east of the eye. But impact of jet stream and high will be the determinants of how close to the Middle Atlantic, Northeast Matthew comes, probably by next weekend.

Again though nothing is for certain. Keep in touch with your cruise line for updates in itineraries or cancellations.

We're leaving out of FLL on Conquest on 10/9 for HMC, Grand Turk and Amber Cove, and the 2pm Tuesday plot is right near HMC.

Matthew had BETTER leave HMC without any storm damage or I shall be Very Put Out. :)

(I've been scheduled for HMC four times now...only made it twice. :eek: )

TS Matthew has now become a hurricane.

Yup, she just left force 12 (max) on the Beaufort scale and entered into level I hurricane territory with around 75 mph sustained winds.

I'm confident she will move further to the east as she moves north.

Cruises will be affected, en-route, but nothing cancelled (the full cruise) over the weekend. Departure ports will be fine. Port visits might likely be different.

Just keep her away from south Florida and I am happy! :D

Well, I may have jumped the gun. When the wife found out I cancelled the cruise do to the hurricane, she flipped her lid. I know she is angry, but safety first for me. She is trying to get ahold of Carnival right now to see if they can rebook her. I told her she couldn't, but she is trying anyway.

Well, I may have jumped the gun. When the wife found out I cancelled the cruise do to the hurricane, she flipped her lid. I know she is angry, but safety first for me. She is trying to get ahold of Carnival right now to see if they can rebook her. I told her she couldn't, but she is trying anyway.

You know , marriage is a two way street , right ? ;)

"Safety first" would be fine if you could point to even one large cruise ship that experienced a tragedy as a result of a hurricane. Otherwise you're just being irrational, and causing problems in your marriage for no reason.

I think I'd rather deal with Hurricane Matthew than the "S-storm" you wife might throw your way! :D

I am supposed to leave on Sunday on the Pride to the Bahamas. I knew the risk of booking during hurricane season. I just hope we end up going somewhere sunny. If I never get off the ship I am ok with that. I am going to have a great time no matter where I go.

Jumped the gun is right! Even though Matthew is now a class 2 hurricane, Carnival will take every precaution. We have been diverted twice due to hurricanes. Go with the assumption that the captain will keep the thousands of passengers and crew onboard safe. I hope your wife re-booked the cruise!

"Safety first" would be fine if you could point to even one large cruise ship that experienced a tragedy as a result of a hurricane. Otherwise you're just being irrational, and causing problems in your marriage for no reason.

Indeed! What logic is there to this "safety first" comment. Indeed, irrational reaction caused by ignorance of ships, their operations and weather.

Perhaps cruising is not for him? :cool:

I have survived three hurricanes while cruising. There is nothing t fear. On one we went to Cozumel (there were 18 ships...yes 18) to avoid the storm. On another we were delayed departing Miami and remained at the pier while the storm passed over Miami. We couldn't return to Fort Lauderdale on another and went to Tampa where the got us all rooms at hotels. Nothing to fear. We are booked on MSC leaving Miami next weekend and I don't expect any issues :D

Well, I may have jumped the gun. When the wife found out I cancelled the cruise do to the hurricane, she flipped her lid. I know she is angry, but safety first foxr me. She is trying to get ahold of Carnival right now to see if they can rebook her. I told her she couldn't, but she is trying anyway.

So was your wife able to rebook? I sure hope so!!

The updating NHC graphic posted above by loubetti (it's awesome that it updates) now shows Matthew will be a Major hurricane as it approaches Jamaica. :o

The 8 am Wednesday plot shows the center to be just past the Bahamas, but downgraded to "only" a regular hurricane by then. :(

The updating NHC graphic posted above by loubetti (it's awesome that it updates) now shows Matthew will be a Major hurricane as it approaches Jamaica. :o

The 8 am Wednesday plot shows the center to be just past the Bahamas, but downgraded to "only" a regular hurricane by then. :(

I've been watching & I saw that too. We're supposed to be in Jamaica Tuesday. :eek: I'm curious what will actually go on. Will we do the itinerary in reverse starting with Coz or alter completely?

Regardless, we're in full on packing mode today & flying to Miami tomorrow morning. We've been joking around about "where in the world will the Splendor go?" My son (7) thinks France & my daughter (11) is betting on Hawaii :p They dream big!

I've been through this hurricane dealie twice. I know we'll be safe & have fun. In fact, the cruise that was the hardest hit was the most fun cruise I've ever had!

Yeah, since many of you asked, my wife was not able to get rebooked. Needless to say, she is not happy. In fact, I spent the night at my brother's last night since things around the house were tense. I still maintain I did the right thing, whether anyone else agrees or not. She'll eventually see things my way and get over it. Everyone else that is sailing this weekend, stay safe, hope there are no issues.

I've been watching & I saw that too. We're supposed to be in Jamaica Tuesday. :eek: I'm curious what will actually go on. Will we do the itinerary in reverse starting with Coz or alter completely?

Regardless, we're in full on packing mode today & flying to Miami tomorrow morning. We've been joking around about "where in the world will the Splendor go?" My son (7) thinks France & my daughter (11) is betting on Hawaii :p They dream big!

I've been through this hurricane dealie twice. I know we'll be safe & have fun. In fact, the cruise that was the hardest hit was the most fun cruise I've ever had!

It could go either way. Hitting Coz first then Jamaica would keep you out of the storm entirely. The Captain may choose to sail through the Florida Straits around Western Cuba instead of heading between Cuba and Haiti and put you in Jamaica first as scheduled. But I don't see any reason you should miss either unless the Hurricane doesn't turn north as expected.

Yeah, since many of you asked, my wife was not able to get rebooked. Needless to say, she is not happy. In fact, I spent the night at my brother's last night since things around the house were tense. I still maintain I did the right thing, whether anyone else agrees or not. She'll eventually see things my way and get over it. Everyone else that is sailing this weekend, stay safe, hope there are no issues.

Wish you the best on that. Might have costed you your role as family travel planner.:p