Canada/New England Cruise

consig1

I live and work in Bar Harbor. In late October weather could be cozy or very cold. I recommend you pack for all possibilities if you wish to be comfortable. If you plan to visit the summit of Cadillac Mountain, be aware, the winds up there can be brutal.

I'm on the October 8th cruise and just looked at the 15-day forecast for all the ports, it looks like (right now) it will be in the 50's or 60's during the day (obviously the farther north the cooler it is) and 40's or 50's at night. I'm bringing jacket with zipper liner and gloves. Definitely sweatshirt and sweater weather.

We live in CT. We have always do warm cruises but have been chilly leaving out of Fl in January. Is being on deck doable or outright freezing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We are doing the Canada/New England to Fort Lauderdale on October 22 starting in Quebec. Like you we live in CT and as you know we can have very warm weather or very cold weather that time of year. I am planning for both so I am bringing a sweatshirt plus a light fleece jacket that I can use to layer. I have used this combination on all my northern cruises and it worked out well. I am also bringing a hat, scarf and gloves because we plan on doing a whale watch in Bar Harbor. I think that will be pretty cold but the fleece will keep me nice and toasty. I do plan on being out on deck for this cruise. I go out during the day to look for wildlife. I like to go out at night to look at the stars and hopefully on this one the Northern Lights. I feel pretty confident that my sweatshirt and fleece will keep me warm.

It was chilly for us in August off the coast of Maine a few years ago. I don't remember it being particularly cold, though, when we were on our cruise to New England/Canada in early October. We did not spend much time on deck.

Cruising on Regal Oct 22nd. Can anyone tell me how cold it is on deck and what is needed to stay warm?

I'm on the October 1st cruise and likewise checked the 10 day forecast. It's rain/shower with temps of 60s/50s. Will have layers and light jacket. Will probably get colder on your cruise.

I noticed that the OP lives in Connecticut. So he/she is already aware of the Northeast weather that time of the year,...and its about the same in New England as on Long Island Sound ....except often a few degrees cooler. But the weather should not be a huge problem for the OP. A few days before your trip...just start looking at the various 2 week long range forecasts (i,e, Accuweather, Weather Channel, Weather Underground, etc) all post long range forecasts. While they are often wrong when it comes to rain/snow...we have found they do a pretty decent job forecasting temperature trends. When we do a cruise such as Canada/NE we watch the forecasts a few days before we actually pack, and keep watching every day until we actually pack (usually the day before we leave for our trip). We adjust our packing to the forecasts...but always take enough stuff to cover their errors :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We are doing the Canada/New England to Fort Lauderdale on October 22 starting in Quebec. Like you we live in CT and as you know we can have very warm weather or very cold weather that time of year. I am planning for both so I am bringing a sweatshirt plus a light fleece jacket that I can use to layer. I have used this combination on all my northern cruises and it worked out well. I am also bringing a hat, scarf and gloves because we plan on doing a whale watch in Bar Harbor. I think that will be pretty cold but the fleece will keep me nice and toasty. I do plan on being out on deck for this cruise. I go out during the day to look for wildlife. I like to go out at night to look at the stars and hopefully on this one the Northern Lights. I feel pretty confident that my sweatshirt and fleece will keep me warm.

We're on the same cruise, the Caribbean Princess. We'll see Northern Lights? I've always wanted to see them. We live in California and they've occurred here only 1 time and I missed them. I'd love to see them and the Autumn leaves. I'm dressing warm but bringing clothing for warm weather for the Caribbean cruise on the Royal. We'll experience 2 seasons.

We're on the same cruise, the Caribbean Princess. We'll see Northern Lights? I've always wanted to see them. We live in California and they've occurred here only 1 time and I missed them. I'd love to see them and the Autumn leaves. I'm dressing warm but bringing clothing for warm weather for the Caribbean cruise on the Royal. We'll experience 2 seasons.

I live in Montreal and we are too far south to see the Northern Lights. There is also too much light pollution in the city to see them. The same is true for Quebec City. You may have some luck in PEI, but I believe they are more common in the winter. If you do see them, enjoy the rare sight!

We're on the same cruise, the Caribbean Princess. We'll see Northern Lights? I've always wanted to see them. We live in California and they've occurred here only 1 time and I missed them. I'd love to see them and the Autumn leaves.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The conditions have to be just right but if it is a dark clear night there may be a chance to see them. I always look for them when I go north. I once saw a display outside of Greenland while doing a northern crossing. It lasted for over an hour and took up half the sky.

The leaves have started to change here. Not in it's full glory yet but noticeable. I hope it is not too far gone for you on the cruise. It usually peaks here in CT mid October.