Travel without passport

Leaving in two weeks and my friend just found out she needs to renew her passport for a trip to UK in November. She will need to surrender her present passport that is still good, RC website says she can use her license and original birth certificate. We are travelling from Miami to the Bahamas. Any insight appreciated.

Yes, assuming that she is an American citizen, she can use her valid driver's license and birth certificate (official government issued - not hospital type) for a closed loop cruise from Miami to the Bahamas. If she needs to send her birth certificate in with the passport then she is in trouble unless she has a second official copy of her birth certificate.

Yes, assuming that she is an American citizen, she can use her valid driver's license and birth certificate (official government issued - not hospital type) for a closed loop cruise from Miami to the Bahamas. If she needs to send her birth certificate in with the passport then she is in trouble unless she has a second official copy of her birth certificate.

OP stated she was going to the UK.

You better check with the state department. To my knowledge you must have a passport for international travel... :cool:

You might want to increase your knowledge. US Citizens on a closed loop cruise are NOT required to have have a passport.

Her passport has to be good for at least 6 months after her cruise, so she really can't use it for that either.

Also not true. If a passport isn't required, then there's no requirement for it to be good for at least six months.

In NOVEMBER... She should have her passport back for that trip.. Driver's license and birth certificate will work for the cruise..

It takes 6 to 8 weeks and I would not trust that..Tomorrow is Oct :eek:

Her passport should be over nighted for both vacations. It may not arrive in time for Nov. to the UK and if there is an emergency on her cruise, she needs a valid passport not expiring for six months out.

Just pay the extra money and play it safe.

If she is a US citizen going on a closed loop cruise, she only needs a government issued picture ID and a certified copy of her birth certificate.

Here is a link to the cruise line's website that confirms this information:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do

Here is a link to the CBP website confirming the same information:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

The posts saying she needs a passport are incorrect if her cruise is a closed loop cruise.

You better check with the state department. To my knowledge you must have a passport for international travel... :cool:

Original birth certificate w/raised seal and government issued ID (drivers license etc0 for cruise is OK but to clarify - Passport is required for international travel and should she have an emergency on the cruise outside the US she will be unable to fly home without a passport

Her passport should be over nighted for both vacations. It may not arrive in time for Nov. to the UK and if there is an emergency on her cruise, she needs a valid passport not expiring for six months out.

According to the government's website, it takes 4 - 6 weeks for a routine passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html

She also does not need a passport valid for 6 months if the cruise she is taking doesn't even require a passport to begin with.

If she has an emergency in the Bahamas, she can not fly back to the USA without a passport. She, or someone representing her will have to go to the American Embassy to do last minute paperwork taking time and possibly risking her life until the paper work is ready.

Why risk it?

Just have the passport over nighted and be safe and done with it.

You are correct that she does not need a passport in a closed loop cruise, but if one IS used it must not expire until six months out.

And if an emergency occurs during that closed loop cruise, she can not fly with a birth cert.

If she has an emergency in the Bahamas, she can not fly back to the USA without a passport. She, or someone representing her will have to go to the American Embassy to do last minute paperwork taking time and possibly risking her life until the paper work is ready.

Why risk it?

Just have the passport over nighted and be safe and done with it.

You are correct that she does not need a passport in a closed loop cruise, but if one IS used it must not expire until six months out.

And if an emergency occurs during that closed loop cruise, she can not fly with a birth cert.

She does not need a passport that doesn't expire six months out. Some countries require that, but many do not. You need to do your research before you keep posting that incorrect information.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/the-bahamas.html

As far as the what ifs, it is up to the friend of the OP to decide if they are comfortable traveling without a passport. There is an embassy in Nassua, so getting an emergency passport would not be as difficult as some like to make it out to be.

Passports are taking 4-6 weeks. If travel is in 2-4 weeks can expedite. If sooner than 2 weeks can go to passport center. It costs but sometimes it is necessary to get back in time. Calling passport center is very helpful for information and to track applications and renewals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is correct, just off Enchantment and we were required to present ourselves too Customs in Key West and as we embarked. We saw several people boarding with Driver Licenses and Birth Certificates.

Why would anyone want to risk it?

I'll bet all posting here never buy travel insurance either.

You are betting that nothing will happen.

Your cruise, not mine.:(

Have a great day!:)

Gotta live the perfect people! One thing to offer suggestion. Another to be condescending.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not betting anything, but if I were to take your bet, you would lose. I am providing the information the OP needed to help their friend and correcting all the inaccurate information. My opinion of what the OP's friend should do is irrelevant.

You really have no clue what you're talking about, do you? We purchase travel insurance. We also have passports.

However, it is flat out WRONG to say passports A) are NEEDED and B) have to have six months validity.

You want to give your opinion and say you would never travel without a passport? No one can argue with you. But to give out false information repeatedly does no one any good.

I pretty sure the OP said she is sending in her passport so she can go on the international trip, which leaves her without a passport for the cruise. Therefore, she can use her BC and a DL and she will be fine for the cruise.

You do not need the passport to be valid for 6 months to enter into the USA if you are a USA citizen. That rule is made by many countries, because a person can stay up to 6 months without getting a visa. Therefore, if you passport expires before 6 months, those countries are not very happy.

Overnighting it, does not speed up the process much. All it does is saves a day or two.

She is not concerned about emergencies, just getting on the ship. I'm sure if an emergency were to happen, she could still enter the USA, with some annoying hassles. The USA does not prevent USA citizens from coming back home. They just make you go through additional checks.

For the poster, it will be fine with the BC and DL.