New strain of Noro coming.....

And could be said that ships, could be the cleanest of a lot of venues, with the deep cleaning that happens often.

But then the cycle starts over again.

Some people are so over paranoid, that maybe it borders on a compulsive obsessive problem.

Oh my god someone sneezed and coughed.

Run, run, run for your lives.

Poor logic there.

If you come into something contaminated in public and practice poor hygiene, the outcome will be the same. The only difference will be a lack of certainty about where the vector originated: transport, work, shops, home...?

Yes, if there is norovirus in the cabin from the single previous passenger who did not notify, and you pick it up from touching the remote control then rub your eye, you may infect yourself. The same as if the single shop assistant on land you buy something from has it and hands you back your change, put it in your wallet then rub your eye. No difference.

Just because the ship is a fairly contained environment doesn't make it inherently more risky.

No you are missing my point entirely and are way off mark.

I am simply cleaning something that could have been contaminated by previous passengers with the virus that would definitely not have been cleaned by any cruise staff at any time for the entire duration the cruise ship has been in service.

No you are missing my point entirely and are way off mark.

I am simply cleaning something that could have been contaminated by previous passengers with the virus that would definitely not have been cleaned by any cruise staff at any time for the entire duration the cruise ship has been in service.

Given you wrote: "The main point is that norovirus is not as easy to pick up in public " I think I addressed that point quite adequately. What you wrote here does not relate to that point at all.

As for cleaning something because [paraphrasing] 'it hasn't been cleaned ever', it makes mrsandmrs analogy even more apt. Doubt those banknotes have been cleaned either, so go for your life! :D

Totally agree, now lets talk about residual cocaine, on American bank notes, esp $100 bills.

Hepatitis-C contamination

The contamination of paper money is not limited to simply that of cocaine and other illicit drugs. Health officials warn that a silent Hepatitis-C epidemic could be brewing. Drug users with hepatitis who share with others the rolled paper note (or straw) used to snort cocaine can facilitate the transfer of the disease to thousands. As drug users are frequently impaired, they can easily fail to notice small traces of blood on these rolled banknotes.[15] This is considered to be of particular concern, as eight out of ten carriers are unaware of their status (as hepatitis can lie dormant for decades), and have little in the way of access to regular healthcare .[16] This higher risk for contracting hepatitis-C has also been noted by the American National Institutes of Health (NIH).[17][18] Without treatment, hepatitis-C can lead to chronic liver disease

Not that anyone needs to be alarmed.:eek::eek:

I don't use $ notes for my Coke supply, I just get it in a can from the bar.:cool:

Given you wrote: "The main point is that norovirus is not as easy to pick up in public " I think I addressed that point quite adequately. What you wrote here does not relate to that point at all.

As for cleaning something because [paraphrasing] 'it hasn't been cleaned ever', it makes mrsandmrs analogy even more apt. Doubt those banknotes have been cleaned either, so go for your life! :D

I ignore their posts. They would never survive in the Royal Australian Navy and would get their backside kicked big time over cleaning stations with their attitude.

I addressed a possible access point for norovirus to infect someone on a cruise ship due to previous passenger contact that is never cleaned or washed. The crew take care of the rest if you care to observe. Have you never seen them cleaning the handrails, spraying the corridors and taking away all the items people touch and washing them.

taking away all the items people touch and washing them.

So they wash the basketballs between each persons handling of them. Or the steering wheels of the dodgems on Ovation. Hell I better give up the bean bag toss or wear gloves when I handle those deck coits poles. Card games should be banned and those crevices in the chess pieces are a veritable petri dish of rampaging micro organisms.

I don't have an issue with what you personally do as its none of my business but I do enjoy a good debate based on logic (and a little lightening up) and for every example you have given I can throw back (as others have done with the money example) just as many where the virus can be spread.

The only thing needed is exactly the action advised by the ships. Wash your hands well and often and avoid touching your face.

Edited by woodyren

So they wash the basketballs between each persons handling of them. Or the steering wheels of the dodgems on Ovation. Hell I better give up the bean bag toss or wear gloves when I handle those deck coits poles. Card games should be banned and those crevices in the chess pieces are a veritable petri dish of rampaging micro organisms.

I don't have an issue with what you personally do as its none of my business but I do enjoy a good debate based on logic (and a little lightening up) and for every example you have given I can throw back (as others have done with the money example) just as many where the virus can be spread.

The only thing needed is exactly the action advised by the ships. Wash your hands well and often and avoid touching your face.

Its just a risk minimising precaution like travel insurance. There are some things that the crew are likely to clean and some things that will never be cleaned in the entire life of the ships service.

I am glad I do what I do because I once paid a small fortune for a 31 night cruise on the Golden Princess around South America from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles. There was a sickness outbreak on that ship that I was on and I managed to get through the entire cruise without getting sick. Did my cleaning ritual help? I will have no idea if it did or not but to me it was a precaution worth taking to enjoy the cruise.

I dont use money on cruises and I dont use lifts on ships. I think they are moot points anyway because my cleaning ritual is only based on a precaution that the previous occupant of my cabin may have had the virus and it may not have been cleaned properly.

Agreed, washing hands often and not touching your face is the best practice. Cleaning objects and handrails around the ship that get touched often will help minimise the spread but will not stop it as there is just too much to clean regularly.

Its just a risk minimising precaution like travel insurance. There are some things that the crew are likely to clean and some things that will never be cleaned in the entire life of the ships service.

Exactly, minimising the risk of contact is a good thing. Some people go further than others, as for me, I prefer to utilise my holiday time by practicing good hygiene (washing hands often) and avoiding touching my mouth, etc. with my hands. It has worked so far and I hope it continues to be effective.

Exactly, minimising the risk of contact is a good thing. Some people go further than others, as for me, I prefer to utilise my holiday time by practicing good hygiene (washing hands often) and avoiding touching my mouth, etc. with my hands. It has worked so far and I hope it continues to be effective.

Exactly that is all I am doing. If by random chance the previous occupant of my cabin had norovirus and have left traces of that virus in my cabin then my precaution is just that to remove any traces of it. I like to relax on holidays and really enjoy them which is why I will take that extra precaution to make it all work. Working with people on a daily basis I think my immunity to some things is pretty high because I am constantly in contact with other people and some often sick.