New strain of Noro coming.....

Noro is a virus that is consumed, so wash your hands often, don't put hands near your mouth and don't eat with your hands and you will be fine.

When you say near your mouth, just how near, is near?

Am I safe holding the other end of a beverage or should I use a long straw or get a shot of Demostos in my drink? :p

Am I safe holding the other end of a beverage or should I use a long straw or get a shot of Demostos in my drink? :p

And what does one do when the barperson opens your screw-top with their hands.:confused:

Holding a glass or can is fine, just don't lick you fingers or bite your nails.;)

No,lol, was making a point about the biggest germ collectors out there, its MONEY.

True that.

There have been some intensive tests on cash and all the different residues that are on it, and it's the dirtiest common object around. Paper would gather more than plastic, but still if you're obsessed about cleaning stuff as some seem to be that would need to be your target.

It's certainly true that other objects can hold residual bacteria too - many of which are bodies are well accustomed to and able to handle - but if you're going to focus on what has the greatest risk of bacteria count, money would be your main threat. So good on ya! ;)

Is the cause period. One needs to wash hands for 30 seconds they say. I have been on over 50 cruises Noro free, got it I am sure at my local Senior Center.Worse 3 days of my life. AmodiamD cured diaharea immediately but The wracking ab pains lasted whole 3 days. No cure.Avoid public baths on ship.

Edited by zoncom

Is the cause period. One needs to wash hands for 30 seconds they say. I have been on over 50 cruises Noro free, got it I am sure at my local Senior Center.Worse 3 days of my life. AmodiamD cured diaharea immediately but The wracking ab pains lasted whole 3 days No cure..Avoid public baths on ship.

Is the cause period. One needs to wash hands for 30 seconds they say. I have been on over 50 cruises Noro free, got it I am sure at my local Senior Center.Worse 3 days of my life. AmodiamD cured diaharea immediately but The wracking ab pains lasted whole 3 days. No cure.Avoid public baths on ship.

Good advice.:D

True that.

There have been some intensive tests on cash and all the different residues that are on it, and it's the dirtiest common object around. Paper would gather more than plastic, but still if you're obsessed about cleaning stuff as some seem to be that would need to be your target.

It's certainly true that other objects can hold residual bacteria too - many of which are bodies are well accustomed to and able to handle - but if you're going to focus on what has the greatest risk of bacteria count, money would be your main threat. So good on ya! ;)

Yo, tbm, yep again I was just making a point regarding money which everyone seemed to had overlooked.

No matter what anyone does, they/we are going to come in contact, with the virus.

All one can do is minimise the damage, stay healthy, and chuck some salt over your left shoulder.

We just keep washing our hands, and the main point is try to keep hands away from ones face, esp the mouth.

Even scratching your ear, will allow an entry point for a bacteria.

I knew I read about germs on money:) My recall was that some tests showed more germs on money than on a toilet :eek:

It's 4 1/2 years old but,

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/germs-in-your-wallet-can-make-you-sick/story-e6frfmd9-1226309803591

Guess the cashless system on-board makes the most sense :) Now the just need to have touchless pay-wave type transactions.

Best you can do is be sensible, not obsessed and washy, washy.

I knew I read about germs on money:) My recall was that some tests showed more germs on money than on a toilet :eek

Best you can do is be sensible, not obsessed and washy, washy.

Totally agree, now lets talk about residual cocaine, on American bank notes, esp $100 bills.

Hepatitis-C contamination

The contamination of paper money is not limited to simply that of cocaine and other illicit drugs. Health officials warn that a silent Hepatitis-C epidemic could be brewing. Drug users with hepatitis who share with others the rolled paper note (or straw) used to snort cocaine can facilitate the transfer of the disease to thousands. As drug users are frequently impaired, they can easily fail to notice small traces of blood on these rolled banknotes.[15] This is considered to be of particular concern, as eight out of ten carriers are unaware of their status (as hepatitis can lie dormant for decades), and have little in the way of access to regular healthcare .[16] This higher risk for contracting hepatitis-C has also been noted by the American National Institutes of Health (NIH).[17][18] Without treatment, hepatitis-C can lead to chronic liver disease

Not that anyone needs to be alarmed.:eek::eek:

True that.

But you do not handle it on a cruise ship.

My point of cleaning the cruise ship cabin on arrival is simply the same as purchasing travel insurance. You have invested thousands of dollars into a holiday for you to have a good time and enjoy yourself so it stands to reason you should protect yourself.

A cruise ship these days is sadly a culprit that has those viruses present. The first thing everyone does on a ship when boarding is unpack and hang up their clothes. I would be willing to bet money that none of the stewards clean those coat hangers or television remote or even on the inside of drawers. You have no idea if the past cabin occupants had the virus and if the cabin has been cleaned properly.

By going through a cleaning ritual on embarkation you are doing yourself a favour as well as anyone else that uses the cabin after you. It is a pay it forward system. If you keep it clean and others do the same then there is less chance of getting sick on your holiday.

Its all about minimising risk.

Same as the work place. People who are sick should have the common decency to stay away from work and not infect others by turning up.

Well I handle money on a cruise ship.

And handle money before I embark.

Small denoms for excursions, tips, etc.

Money to pay ship bill etc,etc.

Then of course there is the cruise card, which is handed over to be scanned, thrown on tables, used to tighten reading glasses screws, used to touch lift buttons instead of fingers, used for the power supply in cabins, used to pick teeth, the list goes on and on and on.

Have a great day.:):)

But you do not handle it on a cruise ship.

You may not, much. But the point is perspective. If you need to live in a glass bubble outside, go ahead onboard. However, it's alarmist to make a fuss about some elements onboard if you happily live with worse elements ashore. Just follow the standard advice on cleanliness in this thread - and which should be common knowledge elsewhere - of washing your hands before putting them anywhere near your mouth, eyes and so on.

Edited by The_Big_M

You may not, much. But the point is perspective. If you need to live in a glass bubble outside, go ahead onboard. However, it's alarmist to make a fuss about some elements onboard if you happily live with worse elements ashore. Just follow the standard advice on cleanliness in this thread - and which should be common knowledge elsewhere - of washing your hands before putting them anywhere near your mouth, eyes and so on.

Its not alarmist. The main point is that norovirus is not as easy to pick up in public due to the free movement of people. On a cruise ship you are confined to the ship and as I previously stated if norovirus is in the cabin then there are areas that the steward has failed to clean and you can easily pick it up from.

Its not alarmist. The main point is that norovirus is not as easy to pick up in public due to the free movement of people. On a cruise ship you are confined to the ship and as I previously stated if norovirus is in the cabin then there are areas that the steward has failed to clean and you can easily pick it up from.

Poor logic there.

If you come into something contaminated in public and practice poor hygiene, the outcome will be the same. The only difference will be a lack of certainty about where the vector originated: transport, work, shops, home...?

Yes, if there is norovirus in the cabin from the single previous passenger who did not notify, and you pick it up from touching the remote control then rub your eye, you may infect yourself. The same as if the single shop assistant on land you buy something from has it and hands you back your change, put it in your wallet then rub your eye. No difference.

Just because the ship is a fairly contained environment doesn't make it inherently more risky.