Dress standards on Cunard, adherence to.

NSWP

Crickey I don't think Cunard could handle us as passengers. We did finish up in the naughty corner when we rolled up to the MDR on a formal night in casual wear on our UK Princess cruise - well they did have "surf & turf" on the menu which we couldn't resist. The maitre d handled the situation with a great deal of flair to his credit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is a nice meal.;)

Another crazy thing re Cunard. We were on QM2 last year Brisbane to HK. One of the formal nights was the night prior to HK so they requested our luggage outside the door by 6 pm yet the men were all expected to wear a jacket to dinner. Consequently all the men in our group ie 6 couples ate in the buffet. Been there done that but won't be going back on a Cunard ship in a hurry unless it is an incredible bargain price.

Edited by Tara Jane

Another crazy thing re Cunard. We were on QM2 last year Brisbane to HK. One of the formal nights was the night prior to HK so they requested our luggage outside the door by 6 pm yet the men were all expected to wear a jacket to dinner. Consequently all the men in our group ie 6 couples ate in the buffet. Been there done that but won't be going back on a Cunard ship in a hurry unless it is an incredible bargain price.

That's unusual in that they mostly do not schedule a formal night on either embarkation evening or the night before disembarkation.

6 pm seems very early to have luggage out. I wonder why that was. I was on the same sector as Pushka but I can't remember what time it was for us. I think I would have remembered if it was really early though. I know I did not eat dinner in the buffet :)

Sorry to hear you didn't like Cunard Tara Jane.

Edited by Aussieflyer

It was ok just not what I expected of Cunard. Glad I did it as now I know, like all things in life.

Yes, we actually queried the fact luggage was requested to be out so early. Was ok for those not disembarking, or if the guys had wanted to leave their jackets out but after 15 nights of wearing a jacket to dinner they were pretty pleased to have an excuse not to.

It was ok just not what I expected of Cunard. Glad I did it as now I know, like all things in life.

Yes, we actually queried the fact luggage was requested to be out so early. Was ok for those not disembarking, or if the guys had wanted to leave their jackets out but after 15 nights of wearing a jacket to dinner they were pretty pleased to have an excuse not to.

Was it actually formal dining (as you said in an earlier post)? Why I ask is that jackets are worn every night and it sounds like when you said the fellows had had enough of jackets, rather than suits or tuxes, it sounded to me more like an informal dress night. Just interested.

As it is DH wears a jacket always when travelling (flying/ship) so he would it would've been OK for him.

I think most cruise lines have their good points and bad points. Of the mainstream one I prefer the cabins on Cunard to Princess though I think Celebrity are a good size as are RCI. Food I've found is generally pretty good on all considering the number of people they are cooking for. I prefer the specialty restaurants on X and RCI better than the others. I like the ambience on Cunard though, better than RCI I think. Depends on where Princess and X are sailing as to what the passenger mix and feel onboard is like.

I'm a person of eclectic tastes - I think I would sail on just about anything if it meant having a holiday :D

Edited by Aussieflyer

Not next year, last formal night on our QM2 Sydney-HK is on 14 March, disembark on 18 March. Sure one still has to wear a jacket on non formal night, tie optional, ok with that.

I have never heard of a Line having a formal embarkation night and the night before disembarkation.

Crickey I don't think Cunard could handle us as passengers. We did finish up in the naughty corner when we rolled up to the MDR on a formal night in casual wear on our UK Princess cruise - well they did have "surf & turf" on the menu which we couldn't resist. The maitre d handled the situation with a great deal of flair to his credit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bet the Brits on board were whispering, 'Look at those people, they must be Orstralians, they have no class, they should not be allowed in here, dressed like that.' lol. Heard it said on P&O UK.

Not next year, last formal night on our QM2 Sydney-HK is on 14 March, disembark on 18 March. Sure one still has to wear a jacket on non formal night, tie optional, ok with that.

I have never heard of a Line having a formal embarkation night and the night before disembarkation.

I would think it was most likely not a formal night but as you may well know, a jacket is required every night in the Britannia room (MDR). I normally travel with a sports jacket anyway and as such it is easier to wear (or carry) than pack.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I bet the Brits on board were whispering, 'Look at those people, they must be Orstralians, they have no class, they should not be allowed in here, dressed like that.' lol. Heard it said on P&O UK.

Well IMO if they (whoever) do not follow the dress code of (any) line, they deserve to be tut tutted at. Those who choose not to do the correct thing, bring the rest of us 'Orstralians' into disrepute. And no, I don't subscribe to the arguments, "It's my holiday time and I should be able to dress as I please" or "it doesn't hurt you the way I dress". It detracts from the overall atmosphere and ambience and it does annoy me. There are also plenty of land based venues with dress requirements not just Cunard :D

That has reminded me about a cruise I did on Arcadia in 2012. I was on from Singapore to Sydney however after I boarded many more Australians boarded in Hong Kong to Sydney due to cheap prices and the ship going to Japan after the tsunami and radiation risk caused prices to plummet on that cruise.

During the entire voyage the cruise director on the morning announcements was making it clear about the dress code and it was clear that the announcements were directed at Australians. He would pretty much state that of an evenings when it is formal that passengers not in formal attire were not permitted to enter the crows nest, main dining rooms and any bars throughout the ship that were designated formal. They would be permitted to dine at the buffet and sit by the pool. He then had to explain what formal actually was. He even made announcements for smart casual nights stating that shorts were not acceptable anywhere below decks on the ship after 6pm.

At that time P&O was run differently than it is today and was more focused on stylish cruising. Now that they have changed livery and have larger ships I am not sure what the line is like as I have been sailing with Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ever since.

Well IMO if they (whoever) do not follow the dress code of (any) line, they deserve to be tut tutted at. Those who choose not to do the correct thing, bring the rest of us 'Orstralians' into disrepute. And no, I don't subscribe to the arguments, "It's my holiday time and I should be able to dress as I please" or "it doesn't hurt you the way I dress". It detracts from the overall atmosphere and ambience and it does annoy me. There are also plenty of land based venues with dress requirements not just Cunard :D

Like.

I have a dream of sailing one of the Cunard ships into (or out of ) New York but I think my husband (a Queensland brought up Australian at that) would find the dress requirements trying.

Might have to go with just my daughter one day

We sailed out of New York on the QM2 in July and you should have heard the fuss my 15 year old made at the prospect of having to dress for dinner!

As it turned out, the formal nights became the kids favorite and they loved dressing up so much that they have instituted formal night rules at home several times since our return!

As an aside, hubby did fine with one suit (black dinner suit) for the formal nights and a jacket & pants for the informal nights. He was able to do a bit of mixing and matching.

And our luggage was delivered to our cabin around 1pm on embarkation day!

Very true about some of the restaurants on land, I think people should respect the guidelines rather than push them.

Edited by MicCanberra

We sailed out of New York on the QM2 in July and you should have heard the fuss my 15 year old made at the prospect of having to dress for dinner!

As it turned out, the formal nights became the kids favorite and they loved dressing up so much that they have instituted formal night rules at home several times since our return!

As an aside, hubby did fine with one suit (black dinner suit) for the formal nights and a jacket & pants for the informal nights. He was able to do a bit of mixing and matching.

And our luggage was delivered to our cabin around 1pm on embarkation day!

It is totally doable having the full tux for formal night and a separate jacket for the other evenings. I like the idea of the occasional formal night at home as long as we can go the other way as well.:D

I have a dream of sailing one of the Cunard ships into (or out of ) New York but I think my husband (a Queensland brought up Australian at that) would find the dress requirements trying.

Might have to go with just my daughter one day

That's the spirt - I might be going solo though still working on DH :)

That's the spirt - I might be going solo though still working on DH :)

Not solo. We just need to get our dates in sync. August 2018 maybe? Partner doesn't understand taking six days to fly less than 5 hours.

Edited by Pushka

On another social media site relevant to cruising...a couple of contributors from another continent made harsh comment about Australians travelling on Cunard having 'No class' due to their failure to dress appropriately.

I resembled that remark and copped a flogging.

Mr Gut and I might have to sort some of them out on our respective QM2 cruises next year.

BTW Cunard people refer to their sea journeys as 'Voyages' not 'cruises.'

Did Transatlantic twice last year on P&O UK 'Aurora.' (Southampton - NY, up to east coast of USA/Canada - 25 days). Going over it was a 6 day crossing and 5 days back.

Rough 10 metre seas, Force 11 gales, fact of life in that Ocean, that was in Sept/Oct. But the Aurora was built for World Cruising and she handles the big seas pretty well. Low deck, mid ships is the go.