Freedom of the Seas - Nov 12, 2016

teej813

Greetings! First time cruiser and new poster.

My wife and I will be boarding Freedom in about 5 weeks for our first cruise. I've spent time browsing this forum and reading your cruise/cruise line reviews for tips and tricks to get us ready. Thanks for the guidance and thanks to Cruise Critics for providing us a space to share and learn from each other.

Suggestions for first timers? Anyone else boarding Freedom on Nov 12?

TJ

Edited by teej813

My wife and I will be boarding Freedom in about 5 weeks for our first cruise. I've spent time browsing this forum and reading your cruise/cruise line reviews for tips and tricks to get us ready. Thanks for the guidance and thanks to Cruise Critics for providing us a space to share and learn from each other.

Suggestions for first timers? Anyone else boarding Freedom on Nov 11?

TJ

Welcome to cruise critic. There is a rollcall for each cruise where people on your sailing post. Are you sailing November 12th though, not the 11th? Here is a link to the rollcall for November 12th?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2190888

Congratulations on your first cruise - it is very addictive - would not be surprised if you find the NEXT Cruise area to book a future cruise.

I'll be one of your fellow passengers.

A few tips

Try to get to the ship between 11 a.m. - 12 noon.

After boarding you can go the Windjammer (WJ) on deck 11 for a buffet lunch. If you want to purchase a drink package they will be available at the entrance between the 2 elevator banks.

If you plan on specialty dining there will be representatives on the Promenade (deck five) with special offers.

The ice show is a must - Studio B on deck 3.

If you are a smoker there is a lounge on deck 5 called the Connoisseur Club.

The entrance to the helipad (front of the ship) for sail-away is accessible from deck 4 by walking up the stairs to deck 5.

Breakfast is available daily in the MDR (sit-down) or at WJ (buffet).

Read the daily cruise compass to see what things to do or see on the ship .

Mostly, remember that your on a cruise with another 4,000+ passengers who have paid good money to have a good time, which is a pretty good recipe for YOU to have a good time.

Good stuff, Matt. Thank you!

You're the second to mention the ice show. We'll make sure to make time for that. We're not smokers and only moderate drinkers... wine with dinner is more our speed. We are very much looking forward to meeting everyone, seeing some amazing sights, and relaxing on deck.

Go to your library and check out a guidebook on your ports. Know something about the places you'll visit will enhance your time ashore! And, you might find the things that interest you don't require pricey excursions at all!

You are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard....that can save you a bit, too!

Good stuff, Matt. Thank you!

You're the second to mention the ice show. We'll make sure to make time for that. We're not smokers and only moderate drinkers... wine with dinner is more our speed. We are very much looking forward to meeting everyone, seeing some amazing sights, and relaxing on deck.

Make sure you check out the Royal Promenade. There is Sorrentos for pizza and Cafe Promenade for little sandwiches and desserts. The pizza is okay but it is much better if you have them make you one. It takes about 10 minutes, you choose the toppings, it is about the size of a small plate. They can make a gluten free pizza too. Both of those locations are included in your cruise fare but also have stuff you can buy, like specialty coffee at Cafe Promenade.

We really enjoyed the show Once Upon A Time. Ice show was good too.

CB,

2 bottles would probably get the wife and I through the entire cruise. Thanks!

Our ports are Labadee, San Juan, St. Maarten, and St. Kitts. From what I'm reading, there are dozens of great things to see and do. Since this is our first, I'm thinking sight seeing over activities.

Mema,

Royal Promenade. I've made a note. Thanks! And funny you mention gluten-free... I am. I've heard nothing but good things about food on RC and their gluten-free options. Pizza sounds great.

Robyn,

I have! Looking forward to meeting you at the MM.

I know the name is Solarium. I meant to type this but typed in Serenity, the name of the adult only area on Carnival. If there is one thing I love about CC, it is that someone can't wait to correct a post. Hasn't anyone ever thought one thing but said or wrote something else?

I know the name is Solarium. I meant to type this but typed in Serenity, the name of the adult only area on Carnival. If there is one thing I love about CC, it is that someone can't wait to correct a post. Hasn't anyone ever thought one thing but said or wrote something else?

A single word, Solarium, and a smiley face have you pretty worked up. Of course people think of one thing and type another at some point or another, I just put the name of the actual area you meant to type so the first time cruiser would not be looking for the wrong place when they went on their first cruise.

We are also sailing with you, and are very excited! As you are checking out this website (or any others), and if you read reviews of the ship, keep an open mind. You sometimes get two reviews of the exact same sailing, and one hated it, and the other loved it. A cruise is what you make of it, in my opinion. Yeah, there may be a few little "blips", things you are not too fond of, but if you go with the idea that you are going to have a great vacation, you probably will!

Def check out the roll call, there are over 100 of us signed up already! Looking forward to the whole experience.... we are traveling with good friends, taking a few days to drive down from Ohio, and then the cruise, then a few days traveling back to Ohio.

See you on board!!!

Molson,

Cool to know we can skate. I grew up in Michigan so skates LOTS when i was a kid. But haven't skated in decades. Will def have to try this! Thanks.

Joyful,

Thanks for the advise. We really don't know what to expect. But the fact that so many people here have cruised dozens of times tells me it can be an excellent experience. Really getting excited.

• 2 weeks later...
A single word, Solarium, and a smiley face have you pretty worked up. Of course people think of one thing and type another at some point or another, I just put the name of the actual area you meant to type so the first time cruiser would not be looking for the wrong place when they went on their first cruise.

Lol,weldon gets fired up pretty easy!

Would not last a minute in my firehouse

Nope

Welcome to all the new cruisers to Royal and The Freedom of the Seas. This is our favorite ship and class in the fleet and we will be doing our 54 and 55th cruise on her back to back on Dec.4th. Almost forgot will leave in 12 days on the Oasis. Have a wonderful cruise. Bob & Nancy, The Villages Florida

Suggestions for first timers? Anyone else boarding Freedom on Nov 12?

TJ

Just thought I would advise about Cafe Promenade. They have prices posted on the wall above the display counter for SPECIALTY COFFEES. The free coffee is available in the back. Also in the display cases the sandwiches and desserts, cookies are free. Many first timers walking by see the price list and think everything is a price item. Bob

• 3 weeks later...