What If...

babs135

Working on the assumption that I will be fit enough to travel (see other thread) a new concern has arisen - slightly dramatic and over the top - sorry.

A number of media outlets are reporting a long hard winter so I have a number of questions.

We sail mid December and will be going down to Southampton the day before so that should be okay, but has the weather ever prevented the ship, QM2, sailing for any length of time and how would that impact on the rest of the voyage. We are disembarking in New York but have 4 nights before boarding the Breakaway so would be desperately unlucky to miss the connection.

Similarly has there ever been a time when the ship couldn't get into Southampton and what would happen.

Apologies for the negative post, just how I'm feeling at the moment. Will try a more cheerful thread next time:D

I don't know about the conditions at Soton or what might keep QM2 in port there.

In 2010 we were delayed overnight in Brooklyn as a hurricane headed toward Newport. We left about 12 hours late and skipped our first port of call in Newport and went to Boston on the following day as scheduled.

On a TA they might be able to make up several hours delay en route. On the same 2010 cruise out of New York we were delayed about 6 hours in Quebec City due to equipment issues and didn't make up any of that time and we went under the Verrazano Bridge around 11 AM instead of 5 AM.

I think it would be unusual for a Southampton departure to be delayed by as much as a day.

I think the only thing that would stop departure would be high winds. If the weather is bad and a lot of people are delayed then it's possible QM2 will wait a few hours. QM2 has the power to make up time in a 7 night crossing if Cunard are willing to pay for the extra fuel it will take to get her up to top speed.

Lanky Lad is spot on. High winds (and they would need to be very high) would do it. We have departed Southampton in snow, rain, fog, and no delays. The only time I recall ever being delayed was when a passenger, sadly, passed away on deck as the lines were being singled up. Took a short time for the medics to handle it but a couple of hours for the paperwork. Hopefully you will not have that problem on your voyage.:eek::D

I think the only thing that would stop departure would be high winds. If the weather is bad and a lot of people are delayed then it's possible QM2 will wait a few hours. QM2 has the power to make up time in a 7 night crossing if Cunard are willing to pay for the extra fuel it will take to get her up to top speed.

Good point - she was designed to make a crossing in 6 days. Should the ship be late out of port the number of passengers who would otherwise need their Cunard-arranged disembarkation flights re-booked would justify the extra fuel to get back on schedule.

I was on a winter WB crossing a few years ago when liner QM2 was slowed by serious storms during the first few days of the voyage :eek: .

In order to arrive reasonably on time QM2's speed was increased as soon as calmer seas and clearer weather appeared.

She "steamed" continiously in excess of 27 knots (I seem to remember we were told 28-29 knots at night) for almost all the remainder of the crossing.

We arrived in New York... one hour behind schedule :) .

Try doing that on a cruise ship ;)

Lanky Lad is spot on. High winds (and they would need to be very high) would do it. We have departed Southampton in snow, rain, fog, and no delays. The only time I recall ever being delayed was when a passenger, sadly, passed away on deck as the lines were being singled up. Took a short time for the medics to handle it but a couple of hours for the paperwork. Hopefully you will not have that problem on your voyage.:eek::D

If I had that problem, I'd rather it be at the end of a great voyage, as opposed to the beginning!

I've sailed out of Soton 15-ish December on the Mary the past five years. There have been some chilly and gray, one damp, days, but nothing to worry about weather-wise. You'll be in Southampton the day before, no matter any weather, QM2 will sail as scheduled. Certainly QM2 will arrive in Red Hook/Manhattan as scheduled. I don't think there'll be a paralyzing blizzard in Manhattan 21-22 December, probably no snow at all. You'll make all connections. Really, you needn't worry.