Alaska formal nights

camper49

My friends were on the Royal or Regal this past March and he was told no jacket = no MDR. They went to the buffet instead.

I guess the Maitre D on that sailing decided to enforce the jacket rule.

Be prepared for that to happen. It's not unusual no matter what people say or will tell you. No need to be disappointed as that's the dress for the dining room.

Pam,

I agree. I actually like getting all dressed up since it is the only time i do. My DH wears a suit and even my DS wears a coat and tie. DH used to wear tuxedoes when we first started cruising but not anymore.

I really do not like seeing people in jeans at dinner or without a jacket. I wish that the dress code would be enforced.

If people do not want to dress up then they can go to the buffet or to the specialty restaurants. Or they can cruise on NCL etc.

Just my opinion so nasty comments.

My friends were on the Royal or Regal this past March and he was told no jacket = no MDR. They went to the buffet instead.

A long sleeve dress shirt would have sufficed in place of the jacket and the sleeves can be rolled up when sitting down. Problem solved.

If a jacket is desired many guys just hang it on the chair for decoration.

I have never heard of this happening. I wear khaki pants and used to wear a long sleeved dress shirt but now wear a guayabera shirt without any problem. Years ago I wore a sport coat sans tie only to take it off and hang it on the back of the chair as decoration. I have never worn a tux, suit or tie in the MDR on formal nights. It would be interesting to know if the person was going to TD or ATD. From my last experience (29 day cruise) it appeared on that ship that pax in TD were more conforming to the alleged "dress code" than pax in ATD. Usually we do ATD but this last cruise we did TD because our friends did not like ATD. I had no problem on the 5 formal nights. We have sailed on the Royal and Regal and never had a problem on formal night in ATD.

We sailed on the Regal last February out of Port Everglades.

Edited by satxdiver

Is a shirt & tie ....no jacket...acceptable on formal nights?

Camper 49, a nice shirt and tie will be fine for your Alaskan cruise. I used to drag a suit jacket with me that I'd hang on the back of the chair while we ate dinner. I got smart a few years ago and now I leave it at home. We cruise out of Seattle on Princess at least once a year, sometime twice.

My friend was in a pair of slacks and a dress shirt but no tie or jacket. That is why he got turned away.

It was the fact that he probably had a short sleeve shirt on which caused the problem. Occasionally they enforce the "long sleeve shirt" rule but most times not.

I'm going with the guayabera shirt next cruise & see how that works out. I bought one 20 years ago & haven't used it hardy since.

They're very comfortable & cool.

Our last Princess cruise was on the Coral (March 2016). Our table became friendly with one of the Maitre D's. We asked him why it seems that some ships hold to the dress code and some don't. He told us it is up to the head Maitre D to decide if they will let someone in who is dressed in less than the suggested dress code for the MDR. On that cruise on the Coral, he told us they were told by their boss that if men were dressed in long sleeve shirt and dress pants they could be allowed in, but nothing less than that on formal night. No polo or T-shirts or jeans would be allowed. The suggested dress for men on formal night is jacket with tie. He also said he has been told on other ships to say nothing. He said there is one Maitre D, he had worked under that will not let men in the MDR on formal night without a jacket. We asked why the difference between ships? He said most just don't want to deal with it but there are a few holdouts who will enforce what Princess prefers that you wear on formal night. He went on to say if the dining room staff had their way the dress code would be enforced, but many times if passengers complain to the management they will not back them up. I for one wish they would just give it up. I love to dress up, but it takes something away from it if I am dressed to the 9's with the people beside me in jeans & a polo shirt.

Edited by ksm77

Our last Princess cruise was on the Coral (March 2016). Our table became friendly with one of the Maitre D's. We asked him why it seems that some ships hold to the dress code and some don't. He told us it is up to the head Maitre D to decide if they will let someone in who is dressed in less than the suggested dress code for the MDR. On that cruise on the Coral, he told us they were told by their boss that if men were dressed in long sleeve shirt and dress pants they could be allowed in, but nothing less than that on formal night. No polo or T-shirts or jeans would be allowed. The suggested dress for men on formal night is jacket with tie. He also said he has been told on other ships to say nothing. He said there is one Maitre D, he had worked under that will not let men in the MDR on formal night without a jacket. We asked why the difference between ships? He said most just don't want to deal with it but there are a few holdouts who will enforce what Princess prefers that you wear on formal night. He went on to say if the dining room staff had their way the dress code would be enforced, but many times if passengers complain to the management they will not back them up. I for one wish they would just give it up. I love to dress up, but it takes something away from it if I am dressed to the 9's with the people beside me in jeans & a polo shirt.

I've never actually asked a Maitre D's or head waiter but What you say seems to be factual from my experience. If they did enforce the dress code to the letter it would only infuriate some of the passengers & cause complaints about their attitude, which no one wants on their record. It's easier to just disregard most of the violations except for the worst offenders and just let them slide on by.

Hopefully Princess will align themselves with the rest of the cruise industry very shortly.

We LOVE to dress up on most cruises. We shop for new clothes, shoes, etc... However, for our Alaskan cruise next year, with all the extra packing I'll be doing...jeans, bulky clothes and sweaters...coats...scarves/mittens, etc... We'd like to bring the MDR dress down a notch.

I just don't want to have to bring three suitcases for two people-- with the airline baggage fees, ugh!! And I don't want to have to avoid the MDR as that is one of the highlights of cruising for us.

DH is going to try the dress slacks, dress shirt and tie sans jacket thing....perhaps with a sweater if it's cold enough. I hope we're allowed in enter. ;)

Edited by rgmacm

We LOVE to dress up on most cruises. We shop for new clothes, shoes, etc... However, for our Alaskan cruise next year, with all the extra packing I'll be doing...jeans, bulky clothes and sweaters...coats...scarves/mittens, etc... We'd like to bring the MDR dress down a notch.

I just don't want to have to bring three suitcases for two people-- with the airline baggage fees, ugh!! And I don't want to have to avoid the MDR as that is one of the highlights of cruising for us.

DH is going to try the dress slacks, dress shirt and tie sans jacket thing....perhaps with a sweater if it's cold enough. I hope we're allowed in enter. ;)

He'll be fine.

Because lots of people attach a land portion to their 7 day cruise, you will see more jacketless men on formal nights. Even tho you can separate "cruise"clothes" from "land clothes" and have the ship hold those clothes when not onboard, many want to only concentrate on the daywear layers.

No one looked like they just came from bear hunting on formal nights when we cruised last month. I was actually impressed everyone looked like they made an effort to spruce up.;)

We just enjoyed a cruise on the Star Princess. Here is my experience. Maybe it will be helpful.

The first formal night I made my husband wear a suit, one other person at our table had a suit, and 4 others had a button down shirt on with no jacket or tie.

The second formal night we sat with different people. Husband just wore the dress shirt and tie. One man had a suit and tie on and the other man had a button down shirt.

My casual overall observation was that everyone looked nice. More men wore a nice looking shirt either long sleeved polo or button down. A little less than half of the men wore a suits/jackets/ties. I did see several men, as well as several women wearing tuxedos.

My husband detests the whole suit thing. Because of packing the suit and dress shoes we checked an additional bag with the airline, so we could send that ahead of our land tour. The airline charged us $70 ($35 with the airlines each way). Additionally 2 of our 3 suitcases were destroyed by the airline so we had to make a trip to Walmart to buy a new suitcase before the start of our tour. Another added expense.

All I can say is that is the last time I pack a suit, but that is just from my experience and interest level. Although I find it fun to dress up at times, my husband does not. We do like the food in the dinning room and the entire Alaskan experience, but for that trip especially it was an unnecessary hassle to drag along that suit. He would have been more comfortable in a nice shirt and slacks and casual shoes.

Had the maitre d refused men without jackets on our cruise, there would have been a half empty dinning room and a very overcrowded buffet. I can't even imagine that happening really. Good times had by all.

We just enjoyed a cruise on the Star Princess. Here is my experience. Maybe it will be helpful.

The first formal night I made my husband wear a suit, one other person at our table had a suit, and 4 others had a button down shirt on with no jacket or tie.

The second formal night we sat with different people. Husband just wore the dress shirt and tie. One man had a suit and tie on and the other man had a button down shirt.

My casual overall observation was that everyone looked nice. More men wore a nice looking shirt either long sleeved polo or button down. A little less than half of the men wore a suits/jackets/ties. I did see several men, as well as several women wearing tuxedos.

My husband detests the whole suit thing. Because of packing the suit and dress shoes we checked an additional bag with the airline, so we could send that ahead of our land tour. The airline charged us $70 ($35 with the airlines each way). Additionally 2 of our 3 suitcases were destroyed by the airline so we had to make a trip to Walmart to buy a new suitcase before the start of our tour. Another added expense.

All I can say is that is the last time I pack a suit, but that is just from my experience and interest level. Although I find it fun to dress up at times, my husband does not. We do like the food in the dinning room and the entire Alaskan experience, but for that trip especially it was an unnecessary hassle to drag along that suit. He would have been more comfortable in a nice shirt and slacks and casual shoes.

Had the maitre d refused men without jackets on our cruise, there would have been a half empty dinning room and a very overcrowded buffet. I can't even imagine that happening really. Good times had by all.

Didn't you wish you had known about all that before you left on your trip. It would have made everything much easier.

YES! :D

With so many adding land trips pretty or post cruise, the Alaskan itineraries are more informal. But like on yours, we found many in dress shirts without jackets on our trip in August. Most had sport coats, but almost as many without. No one showed up sloppy looking that we saw. DH too his sport coat and tie. His choice, as it was not mandatory.