Cancellation, no insurance, no refund, WHAT?

Riemercruisin

We have relatives who had to cancel on very, very short notice because of a medical situation that came up. Surprise, surprise, Carnival decided to be really nice and gave them a credit of about 2/3 of the cruise fare to use on a future cruise within a year... which they did. It never hurts to call them and ask nicely. Sometimes they will be nice back.

Don't just call and ask to cancel though... call and ask them to reschedule later. That approach gives them some latitude to offer some concessions, which they occasionally do.

Edited by James in SA

We follow the opposite approach - If we had purchased for every cruise we would be out more money that the cost of two cancellations. It is called "self insurance" ...

But everyone has different risk tolerances and mitigation strategies ...

until you have to be airlifted to anywhere, could be the price of 50 cruises. To the OP, that $99 insurance charge is looking pretty attractive

Consider yourself lucky. 25+ cruises, 2 claims due to medical. Money well spent. Husband used to complain about buying it until we needed it.

What is the cost of insurance and how many cruises is a break even point? Missing 2 our of 25, means you would have paid insurance on 23 cruises. Curious if that was actually money well spent. When I priced it out, seems it was roughly 10% of the cost of the cruise, so as long as you get over 10 cruises in, you have come out ahead, right?

Re-reading this, 2 claims ON the ship due to medical? Or canceling ahead and getting a refund due to medical? I think travel insurance to cover medical/evac is certainly worth it :)

Edited by BNBR

I have never taken trip insurance for a cruise (sometimes for air) and never will. My medical insurance through my company has always reimbursed me for out of the pocket medical issues when I have been at sea.

Your 50 against the literal thousands of people posting they wish they had and the millions who did purchase and loved the extra security it provided...... I like the odds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So do the companies selling the policies

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is the cost of insurance and how many cruises is a break even point? Missing 2 our of 25, means you would have paid insurance on 23 cruises. Curious if that was actually money well spent. When I priced it out, seems it was roughly 10% of the cost of the cruise, so as long as you get over 10 cruises in, you have come out ahead, right?

Re-reading this, 2 claims ON the ship due to medical? Or canceling ahead and getting a refund due to medical? I think travel insurance to cover medical/evac is certainly worth it :)

It sure is.......

Sent from my iPhone

I never get trip cancellation insurance but I always get trip medical insurance. The way I look at it is I can take a 2 - 3K hit id for some unlikely reason we have to cancel a trip. I can't take a 50K+ hit if we encounter a medical emergency.

That's there job. One claim could be $35,000 (easy).

Sent from my iPhone

Not sure what cruise you are taking that is $35000 but trip cancellation insurance is extremely profitable for insurance companies.

Get Medivac and see what the bill comes out to be... Hey if you can afford the risk and be your own insurer ---> GREAT! But most of us LITTLE PEOPLE do not want to risk our financial well being due to the unknown...

I hate insurance companies like everyone else ---> until you need them!

Edited by KCpumkin

Get Medivac and see what the bill comes out to be... Hey if you can afford the risk and be your own insurer ---> GREAT! But most of us LITTLE PEOPLE do not want to risk our financial well being due to the unknown...

I hate insurance companies like everyone else ---> until you need them!

trip cancellation and medical insurance are two different products. You can buy medical coverage without trip cancellation insurance.

Edited by CheapieD

I have never taken trip insurance for a cruise (sometimes for air) and never will. My medical insurance through my company has always reimbursed me for out of the pocket medical issues when I have been at sea.

Wow you better double check that as it is extremely uncommon. Will they also cover the $50,000 for a medical evacuation?

trip cancellation and medical insurance are two different products. You can buy medical coverage without trip cancellation insurance.

Very True! I think passengers know what's best for themselves. I have medical problems that may cause problems before, during or after my cruise. I choose not to risk it. This issue comes up so much on this board and their is never a winner or loser. It is a choice by the individual :)

Wow you better double check that as it is extremely uncommon. Will they also cover the $50,000 for a medical evacuation?

I have always been reimbursed for anything that would be covered by my policy if I was in an area where my HMO does not have a facility nearby. They always ask why didn't I go to a nearby hospital and we say that we were are sea or overseas etc. They have covered ship doctors fee's, procedures on ship even when we are kept several days in the infirmary, prescriptions etc. We only pay whatever the copay would be if we were seen by our local doctor. And out of pocket expenses are capped at just over $3,000 per year per person

I have always been reimbursed for anything that would be covered by my policy if I was in an area where my HMO does not have a facility nearby. They always ask why didn't I go to a nearby hospital and we say that we were are sea or overseas etc. They have covered ship doctors fee's, procedures on ship even when we are kept several days in the infirmary, prescriptions etc. We only pay whatever the copay would be if we were seen by our local doctor. And out of pocket expenses are capped at just over $3,000 per year per person

I would really caution you to start rechecking those coverages due to annual policy changes and also due to the "Affordable Care Act" and the havoc it has caused many employed people with what the Government called Cadillac Health care Plans which in their wisdom have been outlawed.

Please follow up, I had one of those kind of plans and as of last year because my HC plan was deemed too good my premiums have Tripled, my $2500 Annual Ded is now $10,000pp.

Bottom line because you may have been covered let me assure you that it is not necessarily the case for 2017.

Do yourself a favor and ask!

I use MedJet Assist - Annual policy and

The Trip Insurance Store - Steve

Edited by JVilleGal

What about medical costs in port? Can you front the $$ needed to receive medical treatment in port? Can you pay for the hotel and airfare should the ship medical team determine they can not supervise your onboard medical care and put you off ship at the nearest or next port?

I would really caution you to start rechecking those coverages due to annual policy changes and also due to the "Affordable Care Act" and the havoc it has caused many employed people with what the Government called Cadillac Health care Plans which in their wisdom have been outlawed.

Please follow up, I had one of those kind of plans and as of last year because my HC plan was deemed too good my premiums have Tripled, my $2500 Annual Ded is now $10,000pp.

Bottom line because you may have been covered let me assure you that it is not necessarily the case for 2017.

Do yourself a favor and ask!

I use MedJet Assist - Annual policy and

The Trip Insurance Store - Steve

I am actually reviewing coverage for 2017 enrollment and my deductible per person is staying at $750/year and out of pocket costs maximums are staying at $3,150/year - yes there is some increase in premium but the caps make all the difference. One major medical issue paid for and no more copays for the rest of the year.

Not sure what cruise you are taking that is $35000 but trip cancellation insurance is extremely profitable for insurance companies.

I don't generally concern myself with how much profit a company makes when it sells me a product, I only care that I can what I'm paying for (and in the case of insurance that would be peace of mind if nothing else).

That price was for a claim.....average claim paid. What difference does it make how profitable it is. Obviously if there was no profit they would not offer it (like all insurance by the way). The important factor is at what cost (the premium - which in all probability is pretty low) does it offer protection against extreme situations (and all smaller ones as well I might add).

I am actually reviewing coverage for 2017 enrollment and my deductible per person is staying at $750/year and out of pocket costs maximums are staying at $3,150/year - yes there is some increase in premium but the caps make all the difference. One major medical issue paid for and no more copays for the rest of the year.

Ahhh I'm talking about claims outside of the US. Unless it specifically includes in writing you may well have an issue. Maybe it's a stupid question but call and protect yourself anyway!

That price was for a claim.....average claim paid. What difference does it make how profitable it is. Obviously if there was no profit they would not offer it (like all insurance by the way). The important factor is at what cost (the premium - which in all probability is pretty low) does it offer protection against extreme situations (and all smaller ones as well I might add).

Where do you find that the average claim paid is 35k? I think you are interchanging trip cancellation insurance with medical coverage. These are two different products that are many times bundled together. The reason the premium is low is that the probability of having a claim is low.

Trip cancellation: in the majority of cases is not needed.

The time frame for filling a claim is (not counting your airfare) after the final payment date or for nonrefundable deposits. (So 60-90 days before the cruise). So not only do you need to cancel for an approved reason it has to cause you to have monetary loss and has to happen in a small window.

While there are some exceptions I would guess most people pay for their cruise with a credit card. If you travel frequently pick a card that provides "trip cancellation and interruption insurance"

I also hear people say they can't afford to lose the money if they have to cancel, but the reality is they are still spending the same amount on the cruise if they go or if they don't go. (In fact they would spend less since they wouldn't have drinks, souvenirs etc). They just would not receive anything for the outlay of cash.

If you want to make a case for medical coverage when abroad I would agree with you that is a valuable item to have and can be bought for a reasonable amount of money.

Trip cancellation 8-10% of trip cost, capped payment and multiple coverage limitations No

Medical coverage approx $35-$50 for 50k coverage Yes

I'm one that never travels without travel insurance. It saved our bacon several years ago. I had to be hospitalized for 5 days post cruise. The insurance covered additional cost of the hospital, additional days for my husbands lodging, and a rental car plus a food allotment. The MD's would only let me fly home in first class and the flight had to be completed with me being airborne less than 4-5 hours. This meant a overnight stay on the way home. Again we received nice lodging, rental car and meals. My out of pocket, zero! Plus they made all of the travel arrangements and paid the fees to get the flights rebooked.