The word "Loyalty" leaves a bitter taste...

Dajo5601

QG "priority" disembarkation has always been an utter shambles until recently. You were asked to meet in the Grills lounge way up top, which isn't large enough for all the PG and QG pax at the same time, who ended up hanging about all over the place and exchanging "it's my seat and you're not getting it" glances. Then when the starting gun went off, everyone and their hand luggage fought for one of the two lifts serving the lounge (QV/QE). These on almost every occasion for the next 20 minutes ...... came up full of pax from other decks making the round trip to get to the bottom. Usually chaos ensued.

We quickly realised that the best idea was to mooch around by the chamapgne bar or by reception, depending on which door is in use and then flash a priority tag on the hand baggage at the staff members guarding the exit as soon as the gangway is opened. No feeling of being anything special, but the fastest and easiest way to the luggage hall.

I suggest Platinum and Diamond pax try something similar. There's no beating the law of the jungle at disembarkation!

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I think that it is inevitable that, with 3 ships in service and so many repeat customers, the number of platinum level passengers will have reached bursting point.

Priority boarding for non-grills is becoming less priority, the senior officers' drinks reception seems to be as busy as the Captain's cocktail party for the Britannia second sitting and the wine tasting is more like a production line than a lesiurely treat. This is not so much Cunard's fault as ours !

Perhaps it is time :eek: for Cunard to reconsider its levels and what it offers at each one. People will get upset, but we are witnessing that at times, the current set up is not sustainable.

Not much difference in price between Oceania and the QG.

I believe Oceania are less expensive than PG and taking into consideration the included soft drinks, coffees and virgin cocktails plus current offers of OBC offer excellent value.

Gratuities are more expensive but the whole experience with the smaller ships, passenger staff ratio is far superior to Cunard.

We still travel with Cunard from the UK but Oceania are our cruise line of choice.

We have stopped travelling in the Grills as they do not offer good value in our opinion, even more so when we read of the downgraded menus.

Cunard diamond members.

Edited by Glenndale

I don't know about others, but on the Fashion Week cruise everybody from the "fashion industry :confused:" was invited and it was, of course, crowded

Don't understand why you are still unhappy about this. You have mentioned this on another thread.

It certainly wasn't crowed, I was there. The Senior Officer's party is not only for Platinum & Diamond guests, we have covered this before. The clue is in the title! ships officers are entitled to invite anyone as their guest,often this includes VIP's and noted guests, who may or may not have travelled on Cunard before.

This is just like "Come Fly With Me" and their "Speedy Boarding":

This does look like a funny sitcom. Much more funnier than the crap that is broadcasted here in the USA on the crappy American TV Networks ABC,CBS,Fox,NBC and I might as well also add the CW. Does anyone here in the USA ever watch the CW? Because I certainly don't. Regards,Jerry

Maybe, the offering something "free" as an incentive for repeat bookings is like a Ponzi scheme. .

They know that it's an easy sell when people are wrapped up in the relaxed cruise atmosphere. Who cares to check the price when brains are left at home.

David.

Don't understand why you are still unhappy about this. You have mentioned this on another thread.

It certainly wasn't crowed, I was there. The Senior Officer's party is not only for Platinum & Diamond guests, we have covered this before. The clue is in the title! ships officers are entitled to invite anyone as their guest,often this includes VIP's and noted guests, who may or may not have travelled on Cunard before.

As always the voice of reason and experience Bell Boy.

In matter of fact I recall on two occasions when you and I disembarked and we waited in Todd English with all sorts of goodies to munch with our coffees.

Now i know Todd English is no more but the space is.

As always the voice of reason and experience Bell Boy.

In matter of fact I recall on two occasions when you and I disembarked and we waited in Todd English with all sorts of goodies to munch with our coffees.

Now i know Todd English is no more but the space is.

And the goodies are still there.

Two points.

1. Going to happen more and more as numbers of high level members increases

2. Does anyone really think that a mega conglomerate shows loyalty to their customers?

Good morning GUT.

Your point 1 tells us more than anything that Cunard remains very popular, particularly with those who appreciate the overall product: and quite rightly so.

Point 2 is equally true although, having always subscribed to the view that loyalty works both ways, I am as guilty as most of exercising my right to choice where cruising is concerned.

I will have done six non Cunard cruises between my last QM2 Voyage and the next booked and there are at least 5 scheduled between the one after that.

I can't remember exactly when I achieved Diamond status, it was so long ago.

Whelky wife and I enjoy all the minor 'perks' that go with that level we would be loathe to throw our toys out of the pram at either the loss of a Senior Officer's Party or lack of a 'privileged' area to wait on disembarkation day.

Life is too short.

Good morning GUT.

Your point 1 tells us more than anything that Cunard remains very popular, particularly with those who appreciate the overall product: and quite rightly so.

Point 2 is equally true although, having always subscribed to the view that loyalty works both ways, I am as guilty as most of exercising my right to choice where cruising is concerned.

I will have done six non Cunard cruises between my last QM2 Voyage and the next booked and there are at least 5 scheduled between the one after that.

I can't remember exactly when I achieved Diamond status, it was so long ago.

Whelky wife and I enjoy all the minor 'perks' that go with that level we would be loathe to throw our toys out of the pram at either the loss of a Senior Officer's Party or lack of a 'privileged' area to wait on disembarkation day.

Life is too short.

While that seems to be true about Cunard remaining popular it also seems true of the other lines.

Because Cunard doesn't sail Australia much, we mainly sail Princess and notice the same thing.

While that seems to be true about Cunard remaining popular it also seems true of the other lines.

Because Cunard doesn't sail Australia much, we mainly sail Princess and notice the same thing.

And are you chaps from down under equally uptight when Princess 'reneges' on some of the small 'loyalty' perks?

Or is that exclusive to Cunarders?

The automatic entitlement to the Senior Officer's Party, is a relatively new introduction. It used to be up to the Officers themselves, who they invited.

On our second trip on QE2 we were invited.

It's true, that more and more people are attaining the higher loyalty levels, especially as it is not what you spend, or even just the days on board, but also the number of cruises, so if we spend around £5K each on a 2 week trip, it is the same as somebody going to Hamburg for a couple of days, spending £500.

We get the "days" and they get the "cruises". At that rate we probably spent around £40,000 each before becoming Diamond whilst it is possible to achieve the same status for less than £8,000 each by counting the short trips.

That's where it goes wrong and that's why there are so many clogging up the benefits.

A new tier is required which would also acknowledge the spend.

Stewart

The automatic entitlement to the Senior Officer's Party, is a relatively new introduction. It used to be up to the Officers themselves, who they invited.

On our second trip on QE2 we were invited.

It's true, that more and more people are attaining the higher loyalty levels, especially as it is not what you spend, or even just the days on board, but also the number of cruises, so if we spend around £5K each on a 2 week trip, it is the same as somebody going to Hamburg for a couple of days, spending £500.

We get the "days" and they get the "cruises". At that rate we probably spent around £40,000 each before becoming Diamond whilst it is possible to achieve the same status for less than £8,000 each by counting the short trips.

That's where it goes wrong and that's why there are so many clogging up the benefits.

A new tier is required which would also acknowledge the spend.

Stewart

Why would you want a new 'tier' ?

I think we all should be grateful for the benefits we still receive or be it occasionally.

Of late, their appears to be more class distinction 'speak' than ever on the Cunard Forum, unlike being on the actual ship were there is none or not seen.

Look at P&O forums and how they have altered their loyalty with changing the tiers and all the passengers who moan about the 'new system'.

Be happy with what we have, you should never want for the unexpected - it could end in tears. (so to speak)

Edited by Pennbank

And are you chaps from down under equally uptight when Princess 'reneges' on some of the small 'loyalty' perks?

Some are.

Personally I think most of the perks aren't worth much, well to me anyway.

Of late, their appears to be more class distinction 'speak' than ever on the Cunard Forum, unlike being on the actual ship were there is none or not seen.

What post spoke of class systems, I seem to have missed it? and the relevance.

Every other loyalty programme is based upon spend (Tesco, Morrisons, British Airways etc) so why shouldn't Cunard's?

Surely it is only a matter of time before the WC benefits are revised. It seems rather stupid that you could get to Platinum status by just taking short cruises in the cheapest of cabins.

Celebrity recently revised their loyalty scheme, taking into account number of days on board, and grade of cabin. I think they have now got theirs on a better footing than Cunard!

I know many will not like what I am saying, but the current scheme is obviously unsustainable, by comments on this thread.

Wander over to the Princess boards. Barely a day goes by where someone isn't outraged about something related to membership tier perks :)

Perk outrage is to Princess what dress code violation outrage is to Cunard. That should give you an idea of the intensity of uptightness.

All that said, I find Princess' perks to be a little better than Cunard's perks. But just as there are many Platinums and Diamonds on Cunard, Princess has a lot of Platinums and Elites. Same issues regarding crowding out status functions.

Surely it is only a matter of time before the WC benefits are revised. It seems rather stupid that you could get to Platinum status by just taking short cruises in the cheapest of cabins.

Celebrity recently revised their loyalty scheme, taking into account number of days on board, and grade of cabin. I think they have now got theirs on a better footing than Cunard!

I know many will not like what I am saying, but the current scheme is obviously unsustainable, by comments on this thread.

I arrived at Platinum with Princess quickly due to their status credits being applied doubly to singles who cruise in balconies and triple for solo suite passengers. They are far more generous than Cunard. Cunard has been much harder - I reach Platinum next cruise (based on days and cruises taken). No additional credits for booking higher grades either.

Every other loyalty programme is based upon spend (Tesco, Morrisons, British Airways etc) so why shouldn't Cunard's?

I agree. Perhaps they should introduce status credits based on grade of stateroom booked. Single credit for Britannia, 1.5 for BC, double for PG, triple for QG (Q7-3) and quadruple for QG (Q2-1) - keeping in line with how airlines do it. As people ascend the tiers they might earn bonus credits even, redeemable for various things (on board credit, shopping, cruise discounts, etc).

Exactly! Well said.

Hi BigMac1953,

Sorry :( but I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with you about the loyalty level being decided by total money spent with Cunard.

I can see good arguments for a system where the levels are decided only by the total number of nights on board however.

But if it was decided by money, then a similar unfairness (to the current system that upsets many) is created.

First-time passengers spending only a few weeks in a Q1 could easily attain a higher level than a couple who been sailing with Cunard for many, many years on longer cruises, but only in Inside Cabins.

That doesn't seem fair to the loyal passenger, to me.

As for the argument about short cruises v long cruises; I was once asked by a passenger "Is it fair that someone who has done only two voyages goes straight to "Diamond", whereas we have done a mixture of cruises over a great many years, showing real loyalty, but had to wait a very long time to get to Diamond?".

Conversely, I can imagine that a passenger who does an entire World Cruise in Queens Grill might be surprised (and annoyed) to discover they've more trips to do before they get to Diamond status!

If the system was to change, then total number of nights (regardless of money spent, or indeed, number of cruises taken) seems, to me at least, the fairest way to run a future loyalty system.

Sorry to have disagreed with your point, and thank you for all your great posts :)

Edited by pepperrn