Plans settled for the most part but more questions...

tymike

Hi again!

So based on the idea that wine bought on the island might be 'off' I think I'll go with duty free? Am I correct? Sorry, I'm confused! :o

French red and white will be fine when bought on the islands. Champagne could be bought in the Carrefours on Papeete where turnover is high or in duty free or bought in the US and packed in your suitcase.

I personally find that champagne is more delicate and needs better temperature control. Also since it's not cheap you don't want to waste 50 to 100$ IMO. Also it won't move in the smaller stores and may be lying around for months.

When I speak of champagne I mean true champagnes from the Champagne region in France. I don't use the word loosely to mean Cava or cremant which can be both pleasant and cheap.

Hope you are no longer confused!

Darn, what was I thinking. When I've brought wine in has been in my checked bag but I really protect it well in a hard case and then seal it in a water proof bag ........ plus place the box/bag in the middle of my suitcase and stick soft stuff all around it. I taken wine in French Polynesia at least a dozen times not once has it been broken in my checked bags.

Darn, what was I thinking. When I've brought wine in has been in my checked bag but I really protect it well in a hard case and then seal it in a water proof bag ........ plus place the box/bag in the middle of my suitcase and stick soft stuff all around it. I taken wine in French Polynesia at least a dozen times not once has it been broken in my checked bags.

It's all in the packing!

I carry a supply of zip lock and bubble wrap liquor bags everywhere I go. Love to buy products from around the world to bring home.

It's been a sad day for me since the rules changed to not allow liquids in my hand. We used to bring back 6 to 9 bottles of beautiful olive oil from a friend's olive grove in Florence.

It's all in the packing!

I carry a supply of zip lock and bubble wrap liquor bags everywhere I go. Love to buy products from around the world to bring home.

It's been a sad day for me since the rules changed to not allow liquids in my hand. We used to bring back 6 to 9 bottles of beautiful olive oil from a friend's olive grove in Florence.

I so agree Emdee, having just returned from Florence with a single bottle of wine swaddled inside David's socks! Good idea about the bubble wrap liquor bags--will look at them. I would have loved to bring olive oil home--will have to settle for the Italian vendor in our farmer's market in Florida--he has olive oil with truffle oil!!!

That single bottle of wine came from the slopes of Mount Aetna, btw, from a visit to the Gambino Winery. It's a rosé, very expensive by our standards, and we intend to drink it this weekend with our belated Thanksgiving dinner.

I so agree Emdee, having just returned from Florence with a single bottle of wine swaddled inside David's socks! Good idea about the bubble wrap liquor bags--will look at them. I would have loved to bring olive oil home--will have to settle for the Italian vendor in our farmer's market in Florida--he has olive oil with truffle oil!!!

That single bottle of wine came from the slopes of Mount Aetna, btw, from a visit to the Gambino Winery. It's a rosé, very expensive by our standards, and we intend to drink it this weekend with our belated Thanksgiving dinner.

Cheese boutique in TO has great truffle oil. I got a stash from Croatia last year. I had bought a bunch then the ship gave everybody lovely gifts each day including truffle oil.

We have the Hilton Gold Card and were offered the basic breakfast buffet (no hot bar items) at the Moorea Hilton. It was a $10 upgrade for the hot bar. Beautiful property. Have a great time.

I have the HHonors card Reserve which somehow makes me gold 'status' with Hilton. I did not, however, get a free breakfast when I booked three nights at the Hilton in Moorea; I only 'got' free internet. Is the gold card different than gold status?

Thanks for any info!

Cheese boutique in TO has great truffle oil. I got a stash from Croatia last year. I had bought a bunch then the ship gave everybody lovely gifts each day including truffle oil.

Yum! Will look for it, but not sure I'll go to Mimico to find it.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I have the Hilton Citi Reserve card which gives you gold level in HHonors program. We stayed at the Hilton Moorea and received the comp breakfast. Recently stayed at the Hilton Atlanta and had the breakfast or 1000 points offered.

• 5 months later...

Just started planning for Tahiti cruise for March 2019. I know were pretty far away but I wanted to get some small details answered.

What kind of brand name liquors do they serve onboard?

What are the specialty restaurants and are they extra money$

Looking forward to getting a lot of info from the forum in the next year to help us plan our trip.

Thanks

Just started planning for Tahiti cruise for March 2019. I know were pretty far away but I wanted to get some small details answered.

What kind of brand name liquors do they serve onboard?

What are the specialty restaurants and are they extra money$

Looking forward to getting a lot of info from the forum in the next year to help us plan our trip.

Thanks

The 2 specialty restaurants are no extra charge, you just need to make your reservations once on-board.

As far as the liquors I'll let a few others chime in as I drink beer.

Numbers,

I barely drink but I took pictures of the photos of liquor available in the piano bar.

Is there a thing particular you like.

I recall they had Black Label and Chivas scotch and Glen livet malt.

Belvedere and Grey goose vodka

A couple of gins.

A number of liqueurs.

Tequila was Jose Cuervo Patron was at an extra cost

Let me know what you are interested in and I will check my photos.

Thanks for info, might has well ask, what type of beers do they offer?

I'm pretty simple with my beer .... heck, Firestone is a stones throw from my home so it's 805.

I do recall they had Tahitian beer, Hinano and Tabu. Of course the American stuff like Bud, Coors and Ultra. European including Heineken & Guinness. I'm sure there are others, maybe someone else will chime in.

FYI, I send a message to the head bartender to let me know what they stock in the bar. I'll let you know what he says.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

You hit all the marks in your post. We like all those brands. We are planning to extend our stay after the cruise, is there a duty free shop to buy liquor on the ship to take with us to the hotel?

I'm pretty simple with my beer .... heck, Firestone is a stones throw from my home so it's 805.

I do recall they had Tahitian beer, Hinano and Tabu. Of course the American stuff like Bud, Coors and Ultra. European including Heineken & Guinness. I'm sure there are others, maybe someone else will chime in.

FYI, I send a message to the head bartender to let me know what they stock in the bar. I'll let you know what he says.

Thank you for the info.

Numbers,

I barely drink but I took pictures of the photos of liquor available in the piano bar.

Is there a thing particular you like.

I recall they had Black Label and Chivas scotch and Glen livet malt.

Belvedere and Grey goose vodka

A couple of gins.

A number of liqueurs.

Tequila was Jose Cuervo Patron was at an extra cost

Let me know what you are interested in and I will check my photos.

You hit all the marks in your post. We like all those brands. We are planning to extend our stay after the cruise, is there a duty free shop to buy liquor on the ship to take with us to the hotel?

No duty free. If you stay in a suite B and above you will get two bottles of your choice.

Would suggest you buy it in LAX duty free.

Liqueurs are baileys, Cointreau, grand marnier , Godiva, Chambord.

No cognac only an awful Armagnac. DH is not allowed to drink it!

Ports both white and ruby including LBW. Sherry not sure Sandemans or Bristol Cream. I think the Gins are Bombay and Tanqueray. They also have Jacks and Makers Mark.

I looked at my pics so I could write this! I have friends coming with us in July so wanted to send them the pics so took photos of the bar contents.

No duty free. If you stay in a suite B and above you will get two bottles of your choice.

Would suggest you buy it in LAX duty free.

Liqueurs are baileys, Cointreau, grand marnier , Godiva, Chambord.

No cognac only an awful Armagnac. DH is not allowed to drink it!

Ports both white and ruby including LBW. Sherry not sure Sandemans or Bristol Cream. I think the Gins are Bombay and Tanqueray. They also have Jacks and Makers Mark.

I looked at my pics so I could write this! I have friends coming with us in July so wanted to send them the pics so took photos of the bar contents.

Thanks

Did you get your own airfare or did you get it through he cruise line?

Thanks

Did you get your own airfare or did you get it through he cruise line?

We have done it all.

Thru the cruiseline

Via United and Hawaiian Air on our own

Via ATN Auckland on our own

This July Air France.

If you get the cruise air the transfers and day rooms are included.

Otherwise you leave the ship at 9.30 and book a room yourself.

The ATN planes are old and very uncomfortable. This summer we fly AF Biz returning on the day flight in economy. We have flown ATN Biz in the past but they don't have flatbed yet. Hawaiian we were in premium economy but the United was Biz flatbed.

It just depends on your priorities.

If you are doing a pre or post cruise it makes sense to book your air as there will be deviation charges.

Hi, is beer FREE on Paul G cruise? thank you. How difficult to reserve the 2 Specialty restaurants (La Veranda and Le Grill?)?, how soon should I reserve them in order to be sure i will be on "board". What type of food do they serve in each of these specialty rest. Thank you for your time, sorry for having too many questions.

Yes beer is free. And you book your restaurants after you get on board. It's not hard and depending on how many are on board you can get at them several times if you want. We enjoy the LeGrill because we like to sit outside or the open room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes beer is free. And you book your restaurants after you get on board. It's not hard and depending on how many are on board you can get at them several times if you want. We enjoy the LeGrill because we like to sit outside or the open room.

What kind of food served in the spc.rest.?

thank you for your info. tho. To wait until being on the ship and stand in the long line like the rest of the guests for reserving the Specialty dinners sounded like a "no fun" thing to do. Other cruise ship allows guest to reserve the spc.dinners online either 60 days or 90days before embarkation.