Shorex question

Troban

We have 4 picked need 1 more or we loose out as I understand it.

Question is once we get on board can we change them around?

This is O life promotion.

Also trying to decide whether to do Peggy's Cove/Halifax via o tour or use car I already have rented. Is there lots more to see doing on own?

Thanks in advance, I know this is minor compared to Matthew and issues but gotta decide..

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I do not think you can swap them around once onboard .. I would ask O your get your TA to check for you

You need to book 14 days prior to the sailing date though

For things to do in Halifax area I would ask on the Canada/New England ports of call forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

In Halifax it is pretty easy to get around without a car but if going out of town the car will be handy

Edited by LHT28

I got thru to O today, got the 5th booked it would not allow me to on website.

They verified that once booked I can change them up to 36 hours prior to excursion.

They verified that once booked I can change them up to 36 hours prior to excursion.

I would not count on this as a certainty. You may or may not be able to change this type of excursions (O Life) - you can exchange paid excursions prior to cancellation.

Check again.

Also trying to decide whether to do Peggy's Cove/Halifax via o tour or use car I already have rented. Is there lots more to see doing on own?

Thanks in advance, I know this is minor compared to Matthew and issues but gotta decide..

Two years ago I was deciding between car rental or a tour. I chose the car rental and was glad I did. As soon as we debarked, I headed for Peggy's Cove, which was an easy drive. We had the place pretty much to ourselves for half an hour before the hoards of buses started arriving, which dramatically changed the beauty and tranquility of the place. Then drove and toured the fort (they had guides). Then drove to and toured the signal station. Would never have been able to do all those things on the tour bus and much more enjoyable visit. Done DYI in several ports and some lend themselves to it better than others and this is one of the best.

We will be going from Rome to Venice August 30, 2017. Now that OLife is making it more likely that we will consider Oceania excursions, I am curious as to how to get excursion reviews. I posted to this year's roll call and asked for any feedback from people after the trip on ship excursions. No posts from anyone.

Is there any forum for Oceania specific ship excursion reviews? Doesn't seem like it works well when people post questions to the main list.

Mary

We will be going from Rome to Venice August 30, 2017. Now that OLife is making it more likely that we will consider Oceania excursions, I am curious as to how to get excursion reviews. I posted to this year's roll call and asked for any feedback from people after the trip on ship excursions. No posts from anyone.

Is there any forum for Oceania specific ship excursion reviews? Doesn't seem like it works well when people post questions to the main list.

Mary

There is a "Ports" forum, but it isn't specific to Oceania Cruises, so really your best bet is to read as many overall reviews of your itinerary as you can find in Oceania Reviews and on the main Oceania Board.

That said, I would not invest a lot of time in trying find them. You will find that blisters, backaches, and poor sound systems write most opinions after a cruise. :o

With such a limited time in each of the Ports, you will need to do your homework and develope a short list of what you absolutely MUST SEE.

Even then, you will probably be making some difficult decisions about what to leave out, even if you use private guides and write your own itinerary.

To use an Oceania tour, unless it suits your needs perfectly, would be a false economy.

I would suggest reading about each port, compiling an "ideal" itinerary, and then comparing it to what Oceania offers.

A no extra cost Excursion is fantastic, but if you never get to see the Hypogeum because of it, you will have lost money by taking advantage of it.

How many more trips are you taking to Malta? :cool:

local_21_0_temp-1373953857-51e4df41-620x348.jpg

http://www.maltacultureguide.com/index.php?page=article&article_id=24

Make your reservations TODAY ;)

We used a private guide for four of us in Halifax/Peggy's cove. It was a six hour tour and think we saw much more than we could have if we rented a car. That being said if we were only two the cost might have been too high to make it worthwhile. There is a lot to see.

I have friends who just returned from a tour of Canadian Maritimes. I had recommended Peggy's Cove, as my family very much enjoyed it years ago. My friends found it so crowded (no parking except far down the road) that they drove by. So, perhaps the Oceania shore excursion is a good idea. It's a lovely spot.

I just returned from one of Regatta's Canada/New England cruises. We had been to PC before so opted to rent a car (easy & close by) to drive to Lunenburg. It's a beautiful town a little farther than Peggy's Cove, with other options for low-keyed sightseeing near by. For someone who hasn't been to Peggy's Cove, however, I would probably recommend just going there on a ship's excursion. Yes, it's definitely crowded and touristy, but we enjoyed it long ago. There's a webcam you can google to get an idea of how many people are there. Halifax time is an hour later than EST.

I agree with the others who suggest doing research and deciding what to do instead of relying on excursions offered by the cruise lines. Occasionally they get cancelled before you reach the port, which is disappointing. Usually you can do more on your own if you're willing to hire a guide or rent a car. Of course, there are often disappointments and frustrations involved there, too. For example, renting a car for Peggy's Cove and navigating there is easy, but in some places, it is not - and of course, some people are always worried about getting lost, getting back to the ship late, or having an accident. If you rent a car, I'd suggest having a good GPS or phone with GPS to make navigating easier.

As for excursions, I only tried to "change" one, and my situation was different. However, Oceania did bend over backwards to do what I wanted. I had been really afraid of one excursion selling out before I boarded, and this late in the season, there was no other way to get to see what I wanted to see in Havre St. Pierre. Therefore, I booked the Oceania excursion a week pre-cruise. The info online indicated I could cancel up to the day of boarding, which I ended up doing when I decided to use shipboard credit and book onboard. However, once I boarded the ship, I discovered the cancellation information had not gotten to the ship in time, and I had tickets in my stateroom. Destinations staff told me that, despite what the website says, excursion info is pulled from the website and sent to the ship several days pre-cruise, thus the tickets and billing. They had to jump through some hoops to see if the credit I was owed had already gone through, if not, ask that a credit be issued, and book me again for the excursion. I felt bad, but happy that they were willing to do that. Therefore, my advice to others is to take the "cancel up to the day before boarding" statement on O's website with a grain of salt and only cancel an excursion 3 days in advance to make it easier and more stress-free for all.

Canada/New England cruise was fabulous, and Regatta was too. Our travel mates indicated they plan to post more on it, so hopefully that won't come too late to help you!