Weather update from Carnival

cruzin Phillis

I understand your frustration as I am also on a 10/8 sailing, my husband and I are leaving tonight driving an alternate route from NC to avoid the storm. The Gov stated that all roads were open in FL and that there was not a shortage of gas, I just hope that by morning traffic is not too bad and most have made it back to their homes safely.

It looks like Carnival Magic is scheduled to get back to PC at 9:16am on 10/8, according to Marine Traffic, also I see the Victory made it back in to PC this morning. So I believe we will be able to cruise although maybe a late embarkation. We will have to wait for the port officials to give the okay.

I am just so thankful that most made it through this storm and I pray that all involved has minimal to no damage to their properties. Hopefully we will be on board tomorrow and all the stressing will be gone.

Hey! Do you have a link to an article or anything where the Gov. of FL said that? Thanks!

Ok I hear a lot of you saying "Kudo's to Carnival Cruise" however for those still "waiting" to hear updates we are NOT happy campers. I understand safety but geez louize it would be nice to know what the heck we are doing. Waiting until the "last minute" to let us know has me so stressed out.

Let me explain: We are suppose to go 10/8 out of Port Canaveral, they meaning everyone knew that area was going to get hit hard by the hurricaine "several" days ago. That said, we live out of state and live up north, our airline canceled our flight into Orlando for Friday, ok fine we adjusted and bought a one way airfare from another airline getting into Jacksonville Thursday (we also took an extra day off from work to get to Florida) now we had to rent a car to get to Port Canaveral, now we had to find a hotel because our hotel cancelled in Port Canaveral, this was so hard to find as most "safe areas" were booked completely. So now we are talking a rental car(we got price gauged paid 300 for a one way two days from Jacksonville to Port Canaveral), additional airfare (an additional 500), hotel for two nights, gas, food. Here it is 10/7 and update says "we will keep you posted and will let you know tonight 10/7". I'm thinking the cruise will go on however the stress of it all was/is out of this world. We felt we HAD to do this because the cruise line didn't cancel (yet) so we would loose money (insurance won't help because technically its not a "disrupted" trip--yet), thus is why were here riding out the hurricane (not fun). So for those in this forum just saying "better to be safe" and "Kudos" etc you may not be going through what some of us cruisers waiting to find out whats going on because we are suppose to cruise this weekend are going through so you truly don't understand the stress we are experiencing at this time and for the last few days. I understand this is hurricane season, we took our chance to book this cruise however, this is the most stressful experience I've ever had and would've really appreciated more updates than what Carnival is doing. :eek::eek::eek:

Sorry you are stressed out but spending all that extra money to stay in a hurricane area to not lose some money is slightly nuts . We were lucky in that the hurricane only skirted the coast but what if it was a direct hit . Plus the hurricane may loop around and cause a mess next week.

I think you're looking at the wrong Victory. The one docked at PC right now is Victory I. She usually docks on the other side of Fishlips, but they moved her to the passenger ship terminal a few days ago. Marine Traffic has Carnival Victory off the Keys.

Yes!!! You're right, I just saw Victory and being that I couldn't fine her near KW, I just assumed it was Carnival Victory. My bag!:D

PeanutButterandjelly..Boy do I understand your stress. We are here in Dallas and have also been dealing with the up and down emotions. One day we think it's a go, next it's for sure a no go. We were booked on the 2:10 flight to MCO today and of course, all flights cancelled today. The first flight leaving Dallas for MCO leaves at 6:05 tomorrow night, the 8th. If the ship does leave tomorrow evening...guess we'll miss it as our flight lands a little after 9:00 PM. Personally, I wish the ship would depart on Sunday so more people could have time to get there...Suppose we will have a definitive answer from CCL tonight after 6:00.

To all who are scheduled on The Magic October 8...Sincerely hope we get to meet and make this the best and most memorable cruise EVER!

Seaports

• PortMiami is open for normal operations.
  • Cargo Terminal Seaboard Marine is open.
  • Cruise passengers are encouraged to contact the cruise lines directly for itinerary information.

Airports

• Miami International Airport is fully operational.
  • Travelers should contact their airline regarding the status of their flight and make arrangements before coming to Miami International Airport.

From carnival:

Carnival Fantasy – 10/7/16 departure

PortMiami has re-opened and Carnival Fantasy will be alongside Terminal E at 2:00PM. Check-in is now scheduled from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM and we will sail shortly thereafter. Please disregard your previous check-in time on your boarding pass.

We plan to operate a cruise visiting Key West on Saturday and pending a full port assessment by Bahamian authorities to determine if the destination can support our visit on Sunday, we will also call on Nassau on Sunday. Alternatively, we will have a Fun day at Sea on Sunday. We will confirm the itinerary after sailing.

Given the uncertainty Hurricane Matthew has caused, should guests wish to cancel, they may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL. Guests will receive a full refund as well as any pre-paid gratuities, Carnival shore excursions and any FunShop purchases. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks.

Carnival Ecstasy – 10/8/16 departure

The Port of Charleston will likely be closed on Saturday and, as a result, Carnival Ecstasy is not expected to arrive until Sunday. If the port re-opens on Sunday, we will operate a six-day cruise departing Sunday. Once we have a better understanding of the storm’s path, we will confirm the ports of call on our itinerary. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day of their cruise fare as well as a refund for pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Refunds will be automatically processed to the original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened cruise.

Given the uncertainty Hurricane Matthew has caused, should guests wish to cancel, they may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL. Guests will receive a full refund as well as any pre-paid gratuities, Carnival shore excursions and any FunShop purchases. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks.

Carnival Elation – 10/8/16 departure

The Port of Jacksonville is presently closed to all marine traffic. Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Duval County area, including the Port of Jacksonville, will be bearing the impact of a category 4 storm on Friday evening and early Saturday morning. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. We will remain in close contact with them regarding their plans to reopen once the storm has passed and will provide you an update as soon as we have more definitive information.

Carnival Glory - 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Glory cruise departing on Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Magic – 10/8/16 departure

Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of the storm all throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and assuming the port reopens on Saturday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening.

We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide an update after 6:00 PM.

Carnival Splendor – 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Splendor cruise departing Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes become necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Sunshine - 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Sunshine cruise departing on Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Valor – 10/8/16 departure

Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of the storm all throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and assuming the port reopens on Saturday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening.

We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide an update after 6:00 PM.

Carnival Conquest - 10/9/16 departure

The Carnival Conquest cruise departing on Oct. 9 remains as scheduled at this time. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly

Carnival Pride – 10/9/16

Due to the current forecast track of Hurricane Matthew, it is not safe for us to navigate south. Therefore, in order to steer clear of the storm’s path and ensure our guests’ comfort and safety, we will now operate a seven-day cruise with calls in Saint John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Pre-purchased shore excursions for Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport, as well as any difference in government fees and taxes, will be automatically refunded to guest’s Sail & Sign accounts. Information about shore excursions in Saint John and Halifax will be available once guests are on board. Those guests who opt to sail on the modified itinerary will receive a 100.00 USD per person credit to their onboard Sail & Sign accounts. Additionally, guests will receive a 25 percent future cruise discount off a two to seven-day voyage.

Guests scheduled on this voyage who wish to cancel may do so and receive a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

We have reservations on a cruise for the carnival fantasy tomorrow. Apparently our flight got cancelled and in top of that the port of Miami is closed . We are currently trying to reschedule our flight but there are two factors that are stopping us . 1. Carnival will not tell us until AFTER 10:30 am tommorow if the ports are going to be open .By the time they tell us the situation with the ports , most of the flights will be sold out . (Thousands of travelers will be trying to book flights to ft. Lauderdale/Miami that day . 2. Carnival will not give us a specific embarkation time IF THE PORTS ARE OPEN, making it impossible for us to rebook a flight . This is total bull sh-t and I wish that Carnivsl wod consider the fact that people are coming around the country and leaving us in limbo messes up are travel plans.

Yup, 1st post. Yup, it's Carnival's fault they don't know when the port authority will clear the port. Yup, it's Carnival's fault the airport has been closed.

Hey! Do you have a link to an article or anything where the Gov. of FL said that? Thanks!

No link, but we heard this, this morning on TV, TWC channel I think, he was stating there was no gas shortage in the state and all roads were open. He also talked about power outages and that some have already had power restored.

Supposed to sail Saturday on the Glory. Carnival told us they wouldn't refund us at all even though there is no way we can get into Ft. Lauderdale/Miami. The only flight option is a Saturday morning that arrives at 3:45 in FLL. The rest are either canceled or extremely overpriced/at impractical times due to being booked last minute.

But tbh a life is worth more than a cruise at this point. At least we can book another one in the future and suck up the loss.

It's Carnival's job to provide the cruise, not how you get there, or don't.

I am watching Sensation pull back into the Port of Miami live right now. it looks like a nice day there. Glad to see the port and people are fine.

I called at 12:15 to try to book the Sensation, since I had just enough time to leave work early, pack, and get to Miami. It could have been a weekend cruise with no vacation time used and a chance to talk to the people who probably went to great lengths to get on the ship, but bookings were closed, so no deal.

Ok I hear a lot of you saying "Kudo's to Carnival Cruise" however for those still "waiting" to hear updates we are NOT happy campers. I understand safety but geez louize it would be nice to know what the heck we are doing. Waiting until the "last minute" to let us know has me so stressed out.

Let me explain: We are suppose to go 10/8 out of Port Canaveral, they meaning everyone knew that area was going to get hit hard by the hurricaine "several" days ago. That said, we live out of state and live up north, our airline canceled our flight into Orlando for Friday, ok fine we adjusted and bought a one way airfare from another airline getting into Jacksonville Thursday (we also took an extra day off from work to get to Florida) now we had to rent a car to get to Port Canaveral, now we had to find a hotel because our hotel cancelled in Port Canaveral, this was so hard to find as most "safe areas" were booked completely. So now we are talking a rental car(we got price gauged paid 300 for a one way two days from Jacksonville to Port Canaveral), additional airfare (an additional 500), hotel for two nights, gas, food. Here it is 10/7 and update says "we will keep you posted and will let you know tonight 10/7". I'm thinking the cruise will go on however the stress of it all was/is out of this world. We felt we HAD to do this because the cruise line didn't cancel (yet) so we would loose money (insurance won't help because technically its not a "disrupted" trip--yet), thus is why were here riding out the hurricane (not fun). So for those in this forum just saying "better to be safe" and "Kudos" etc you may not be going through what some of us cruisers waiting to find out whats going on because we are suppose to cruise this weekend are going through so you truly don't understand the stress we are experiencing at this time and for the last few days. I understand this is hurricane season, we took our chance to book this cruise however, this is the most stressful experience I've ever had and would've really appreciated more updates than what Carnival is doing. :eek::eek::eek:

They cant make a decision until they know if the port is going to be open or not. As of right now, it is still closed and they can't make a decision until port officials determine it is safe to repoen. They are still experiencing gusts of 100+ at the Cape right now as I write this accordng to the Weather Channel.

http://www.portcanaveral.com/About/News-Releases/PORT-CANAVERAL-STATUS

Count your blessings. 800+ people in Haiti have been killed by this storm so far.

Yup, 1st post. Yup, it's Carnival's fault they don't know when the port authority will clear the port. Yup, it's Carnival's fault the airport has been closed.

Those damn passengers! Always expecting to be treated fairly, and thinking that they have right to know what's going on.

Those damn passengers! Always expecting to be treated fairly, and thinking that they have right to know what's going on.

Seriously??? I guess they can predict the effects of a Hurricane before it happens. Wow, they must be amazing! Maybe they can tell us if the Dolphin's will cover the spread this week against the Titans too. :p

Do some not realize that cruise ships do not operate in a vacuum? If a port was closed, and people were encouraged to evacuate, and power is out, and airports closed, and warehouses are closed, and trucks aren't running...how is a cruise ship to get restocked, who will man the terminal (and maybe without power), who will man the parking garages, are stevedores available?

A cruiseline needs to keep all the plates spinning to get their ships into and out of port. Any one break in the supply chain can have devastating affects.

If I were scheduled to cruise from Canaveral this weekend I would have just decided to throw in the towel as soon as millions of people were evacuated from the coast. Carnival, and most other cruiselines, will definitely either refund the cruise fare or apply the fare to another sailing.

If people are out money for hotels, and airfares, etc. that isn't Carnival's fault. Insurance would have covered that.

This myopic view that seems to be prevalent on Cruise Critic by some just blows my mind. What ever happened to plain common sense?

Do some not realize that cruise ships do not operate in a vacuum? If a port was closed, and people were encouraged to evacuate, and power is out, and airports closed, and warehouses are closed, and trucks aren't running...how is a cruise ship to get restocked, who will man the terminal (and maybe without power), who will man the parking garages, are stevedores available?

A cruiseline needs to keep all the plates spinning to get their ships into and out of port. Any one break in the supply chain can have devastating affects.

If I were scheduled to cruise from Canaveral this weekend I would have just decided to throw in the towel as soon as millions of people were evacuated from the coast. Carnival, and most other cruiselines, will definitely either refund the cruise fare or apply the fare to another sailing.

If people are out money for hotels, and airfares, etc. that isn't Carnival's fault. Insurance would have covered that.

This myopic view that seems to be prevalent on Cruise Critic by some just blows my mind. What ever happened to plain common sense?

FYI- until Carnival cancels the cruise with or without insurance you lose all your money you have wrapped up into this cruise. Maybe you dont care about losing thousands of dollars but alot of us have worked hard to save money for this and either would like it to happen or get a refund. Carnival will resume I think and it may be delayed and it may not but Carnival is waiting until the last minute like yesterday to cancel after thousands already arrived not their fault but they can write off losses passengers cannot. A storm hit, its over now clean up and carry on back to business as usual we just went thru a hurricane on the west coast as well

We have reservations on a cruise for the carnival fantasy tomorrow. Apparently our flight got cancelled and in top of that the port of Miami is closed . We are currently trying to reschedule our flight but there are two factors that are stopping us . 1. Carnival will not tell us until AFTER 10:30 am tommorow if the ports are going to be open .By the time they tell us the situation with the ports , most of the flights will be sold out . (Thousands of travelers will be trying to book flights to ft. Lauderdale/Miami that day . 2. Carnival will not give us a specific embarkation time IF THE PORTS ARE OPEN, making it impossible for us to rebook a flight . This is total bull sh-t and I wish that Carnivsl wod consider the fact that people are coming around the country and leaving us in limbo messes up are travel plans.

Carnival is not responsible for opening and closing of ports. That is up to Port Authority. They have to wait until they are notified of when the port will reopen. These things have to be taken into consideration when booking a cruise out of Florida during the hurricane season. Another good reason to have travel insurance.

You just made the case for why Carnival should allow people to cancel without penalty. It's just insane and fool hardy for Carnival to expect people to take planes, trains and automobiles to head into the abyss for one of their damn cruises. Just let them cancel and refund their money without question. There will be another day to cruise. This is not it. They need to do the right thing. Greedy. Greedy.

Edited by Thorncroft

You must be the "peanutbutter" xx nutty. Please excuse Carnival, the ports, airlines for making safety #1 including you...

We here who went through the storm did not have fun. It was not a field trip

At least when you get home ... your house will still be there.

You just made the case for why Carnival should allow people to cancel without penalty. It's just insane and fool hardy for Carnival to expect people to take planes, trains and automobiles to head into the abyss for one of their damn cruises. Just let them cancel and refund their money without question. There will be another day to cruise. This is not it. They need to do the right thing. Greedy. Greedy.

I agree, during a big event like this where travel is restricted and the possible upcoming cruise being impacted with bad weather most dont want to pay thousands just to be seasick. It would be a better thing to just reroute to Cozumel. Bahamas just got the crap kicked out of it and should give them a week off to clean up and gather their lives as well. Im driving up from Tampa hopefully tomorrow if the cruise is still on and I dont know how its going to be, traffic, road closures ect. If I cant get to the port why shouldn't I be refunded? I know its not Carnivals fault but they can write off a loss I cannot and yes I have the insurance but I dont think I should have to fight them for it

You must be the "peanutbutter" xx nutty. Please excuse Carnival, the ports, airlines for making safety #1 including you...

We here who went through the storm did not have fun. It was not a field trip

At least when you get home ... your house will still be there.

and now for the juvenile personal attacks:confused:

Update from Port Canaveral -

As of 4pm EDT - The port will remain closed to travelers and visitors until at least 12 noon tomorrow (Saturday October 8th).

Currently under assesment. Employees and Staff are allowed to return.

Thats per the phone number listed on the Port Canaveral Website.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

It seems you are in the minority again. Poor you and your sad attempts to constantly bash bash bash. .