Weather update from Carnival

cruzin Phillis

In case anyone has not seen it yet:

Carnival Victory – 10/6/16 departure- canceled

Based on the latest forecast track and no discernible shift in the storm’s path towards the central east coast of Florida as we had hoped, it is anticipated that the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of Hurricane Matthew throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed and port officials have had the time to complete their assessment and make a determination on when the port is safe to re-open.

Given the above, unfortunately, we will be forced to cancel Carnival Victory’s cruise that we had hoped to operate tomorrow. Guests will receive a full refund as well as any pre-paid gratuities, Carnival shore excursions and any FunShop purchases. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks. We will also provide a 25 percent discount off a future two or three day cruise.

Carnival Sensation – 10/6/16 departure

The Greater Miami area will be experiencing the strongest effects of Hurricane Matthew late Thursday evening and in the early morning hours of Friday. Once conditions become safe on Friday, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and, assuming the port reopens on Friday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening. We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide you an update after 10:30 AM tomorrow. If PortMiami re-opens on Friday, we will operate a three-day cruise, visiting Nassau on Saturday pending a post-storm assessment of the port.

Guests who opt to sail on the shortened voyage will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day of their cruise fare as well as pre-purchased shore excursions for Key West and Cozumel. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks Also, gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened cruise.

As previously indicated, should guests scheduled on this voyage wish to cancel, they may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL. Guests will receive a full refund as well as any pre-paid gratuities, Carnival shore excursions for Key West and Cozumel and any FunShop purchases. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks.

Carnival Fantasy – 10/7/16 departure

The Greater Miami area will be experiencing the strongest effects of Hurricane Matthew late Thursday evening and in the early morning hours of Friday. Once conditions become safe on Friday, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination on when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and, assuming the port reopens on Friday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening. We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide you with an update after 10:30 AM tomorrow.

Given the uncertainty Hurricane Matthew has caused, should guests wish to cancel, they may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL. Guests will receive a full refund as well as any pre-paid gratuities, Carnival shore excursions and any FunShop purchases. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks.

If PortMiami reopens on Friday, we will operate the scheduled itinerary with an overnight call in Nassau, pending a post-storm assessment of the port.

Carnival Elation – 10/8/16 departure

The Port of Jacksonville will close as of tomorrow morning. Carnival Elation’s arrival scheduled for Saturday may potentially be delayed. We will remain in contact with port officials and update you accordingly as additional information becomes available.

Carnival Glory - 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Glory cruise departing on Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Magic – 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Magic cruise departing Oct. 8 remains as scheduled at this time. Should any changes become necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Splendor – 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Splendor cruise departing Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes become necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Sunshine - 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Sunshine cruise departing on Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Valor – 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Valor cruise departing Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes become necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Conquest - 10/9/16 departure

The Carnival Conquest cruise departing on Oct. 9 remains as scheduled at this time. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly

Carnival Pride – 10/9/16 departure

We are monitoring the storm very closely and will be in a position to let you know about any needed itinerary changes by Saturday morning. Given our experience with hurricanes and their propensity for unexpected shifts, this time allows us the opportunity to make the best decisions for your vacation once we have greater clarity on the timing of the forecasted track.

We apologize for the tremendous inconvenience the storm is causing and thank you for your understanding.

Additionally, to stay up to date on any changes that may affect your sailing, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Fantasy 10/7 CCL2

Carnival Magic 10/8 CCL3

Carnival Sensation 10/6 CCL4

Carnival Pride 10/9 CCL5

Carnival Valor 10/8 CCL6

Carnival Victory 10/6 CCL8

Carnival Elation 10/8 CCL9

Carnival Glory 10/8 CCL10

Carnival Splendor 10/8 CCL11

Carnival Conquest 10/9 CCL12

Edited by cruzin Phillis

Well done, kudo for CCL to promptly notify everyone of their decisions to cancel the sailings and provide full refunds - mother nature is beyond their control. Much rather disappoint all those looking forward to a cruise vacation than to put anyone in harm's way in trying to reach the closed ports and highways under mandatory evacuation orders ahead of the incoming hurricane.

Unfortunately they still haven't cancelled Magic or Valor that was to depart from Port Canaveral on Saturday. I don't see how this could possibly go as scheduled and not have major delays or be cancelled. So that means we are suppose to starts Traveling that direction to have an opportunity to not miss the boat, which is crazy!! :eek:

We have reservations on a cruise for the carnival fantasy tomorrow. Apparently our flight got cancelled and in top of that the port of Miami is closed . We are currently trying to reschedule our flight but there are two factors that are stopping us . 1. Carnival will not tell us until AFTER 10:30 am tommorow if the ports are going to be open .By the time they tell us the situation with the ports , most of the flights will be sold out . (Thousands of travelers will be trying to book flights to ft. Lauderdale/Miami that day . 2. Carnival will not give us a specific embarkation time IF THE PORTS ARE OPEN, making it impossible for us to rebook a flight . This is total bull sh-t and I wish that Carnivsl wod consider the fact that people are coming around the country and leaving us in limbo messes up are travel plans.

Mdog I feel your frustration. Not that it helps you in any way. I have been watching news coverage all afternoon and it is scary.

Your only point of contact is Carnival so of course you are upset with them. They are awaiting word from port authorities, who are awaiting word from forecasters and post-storm assessment teams and repair teams, who are unfortunately awaiting unpredictable mother nature.

I hope everything works well for you, the thousands of other hopeful and frustrated cruisers, and the residents of all impacted areas.

Carnival Pride will be doing St. John's (New Foundland Canada, not USVI:cool:) and Halifax, Nova Scotia
She's going to Saint John in New Brunswick, not Newfoundland. The folks in Saint John are very particular about the confusion.:)

I have a question for anyone who might be able to answer it. I'm not a part of the current situation, but what of those who are booked to cruise in the next couple of days? What if they do not cancel, try to make it to port, but fail? Will they be compensated at all by Carnival (assuming they are not insured by a travel insurance company)? I honestly don't know, but it seems in that case it might be best to cut their loses, make the call and cancel, in which case they will be refunded in full, plus get a possible credit toward a future cruise. I know it's a tough decision and I don't know for sure what I would do, but canceling seems on the surface the best choice. Thoughts anyone?

I have a question for anyone who might be able to answer it. I'm not a part of the current situation, but what of those who are booked to cruise in the next couple of days? What if they do not cancel, try to make it to port, but fail? Will they be compensated at all by Carnival (assuming they are not insured by a travel insurance company)? I honestly don't know, but it seems in that case it might be best to cut their loses, make the call and cancel, in which case they will be refunded in full, plus get a possible credit toward a future cruise. I know it's a tough decision and I don't know for sure what I would do, but canceling seems on the surface the best choice. Thoughts anyone?

Carnival will keep their money. Too bad, so sad. That's why Carnival is dragging their feet. If you cancel or miss the boat, you lose your money. If Carnival cancels, you get a refund.

People are learning ;) If you cancel they keep your money, if Carnival cancels you get your money back . But I have read where there is a margin line where people have gotten their money back on occasion. If you cancel its Carnivals call.

People are learning ;) If you cancel they keep your money, if Carnival cancels you get your money back . But I have read where there is a margin line where people have gotten their money back on occasion. If you cancel its Carnivals call.
I understand that in normal conditions Carnival keeps the money if you cancel, but it is my understanding that "right now" with conditions being what they are, Carnival is allowing booked guests to cancel with no penalty, thus my question about canceling versus trying to get there but failing. Edited by Towel Critter

Supposed to sail Saturday on the Glory. Carnival told us they wouldn't refund us at all even though there is no way we can get into Ft. Lauderdale/Miami. The only flight option is a Saturday morning that arrives at 3:45 in FLL. The rest are either canceled or extremely overpriced/at impractical times due to being booked last minute.

But tbh a life is worth more than a cruise at this point. At least we can book another one in the future and suck up the loss.

I understand that in normal conditions Carnival keeps the money if you cancel, but it is my understanding that "right now" with conditions being what they are, Carnival is allowing booked guests to cancel with no penalty, thus my question about canceling versus trying to get there but failing.

And that's a problem with all cruise lines ,something that needs to change.

Carnival prides themselves as the family cruise line , where even the average income person will be able to cruise , $' price wise. Their not allowing you to cancel without penalty during Hurricanes without losing your money on most occasions. Sure you can buy insurance , but people that don't cant afford to donate an excess amount of cash to a cruise line. So they have to get there one way or another.

Dangerous , hell yes.

Edited by BoDidly

I was just thinking how congested the roads will be going south after the storm passes. It will be a nightmare. All those evacuees will be trying to get back home. I know I wouldn't want to get on a ship after this storm for a week or so. We sailed on the Fascination out of Norfolk several years ago. There had been a nor-easter storm and the ocean was so rough all along the coast. I seriously thought we would die the first night. About 10% of dining rooms had diners. Women could not wear high heels. They cancelled stage shows to protect the dancers, etc. etc. etc. On the return to port the seas were just as rough if not worse. Even the crew couldn't function from sea-sickness. I saw a dealer get "sick" on the black jack table. My husband nearly fell out of bed. Again that night very few were in the dining rooms. It's a wonder we ever got on another ship. So no more cruises for me during hurricane season.

Carnival prides themselves as the family cruise line , where even the average income person will be able to cruise , $' price wise. Their not allowing you to cancel without penalty during Hurricanes without losing your money on most occasions. Sure you can buy insurance , but people that don't cant afford to donate an excess amount of cash to a cruise line. So they have to get there one way or another.

Dangerous , hell yes.

So what I had read about Carnival allowing guests to cancel without a penalty during this weather event is not true? Is it only certain cruises where this is true, or is it the same across the board?

Edit: Okay, I just looked back at the current Carnival weather advisory and I was mistaken. Only guests on certain cruises are being allowed to cancel without penalty, apparently.

Edited by Towel Critter

So what I had read about Carnival allowing guests to cancel without a penalty during this weather event is not true? Is it only certain cruises where this is true, or is it the same across the board?

Like I said before it's Carnivals call ;) Why some ships in PC are canceled ,some are still expected /in question to sail. People are still expected to get there ,somehow . Kinda of like putting your customers in Limbo :eek:

It's not a secret. Most people should be responsible and buy travel insurance when cruising, especially if they can't afford to eat the price of the cruise and related expenses. There's too much that can go wrong (travel to / from port, lost baggage, medical, emergency evac, etc.).

The people that cheap out over a hundred or so bucks and don't buy it are real quick to call out the cruise line as inhuman and evil when something goes wrong and they're not covered. They deserve no sympathy for their whines.

That being said, I wish good things for our fellow cruise aficionados that are wresting with what to do over the next couple of days.

Edited by The4Cruisers