Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

Both my wife and I are disappointed and upset. We both know that NCL doesn't control the weather but that doesn't change the fact that fact that months of planning and thousands of dollars have now been spent on what may turn out to be an incredibly disappointing trip. Are we going to try and make the best of it? Absolutely, but at this point we don't know anything about what the future holds for our trip. We haven't gone down to Guest Services, we haven't yelled and screamed at anyone. Currently we're sitting in our cabin licking our wounds.

To those that are saying, "this is what you get when you book during hurricane season" please take a moment to realize what a jerk you sound like. The cruise lines obviously offer itineraries during times of the year that they feel they can safely sail. I'm sure most of realize that nothing is certain, weather is unpredictable but to essentially say, "you're getting what you deserve" is pretty tactless. None of us asked for this to happen, we picked a sailing date that was offered to us, we didn't force NCL to offer October Bermuda dates.

My wife and I booked this trip ten months ago. Since then she's been laid off from her job, gone on unemployment and found a new job. Somehow we've still managed to make this trip happen despite her not having any vacation days at her new job, this entire week off for her is unpaid. We scrapped every penny we had and fought hard for months for this one week of fun in Bermuda and a few expensive days in NYC.

So yeah, it's a lot easier said than done to be super happy about the possibility of heading to Florida and the Bahamas at this point. I could have planned that trip on my own with a lot less effort and expense.

I am on the boat with you... this is what you get when booking during hurricane season. Deal with it or don't book during this time of year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The demo on this cruise is not passive, live and let live. These folks are in your face angry. Security is now by guest services. This is the best non-sail away show. Ever.

Uh. Yeah, "mob rules" sounds fantastic.

Are they going to punch a guest services clerk until they force the ship to sail into a hurricane? What exactly do all the "angry" people want?

I understand the cruise contract and that NCL can change the itinerary. I am happy that we aren't sailing into a hurricane. I have been worried about Nicole an Matthew all week. What I don't understand is the cruise line STILL not telling us where we are going. Other cruise lines saw the hurricanes coming and cancelled or re-routed. However we are changing from a Zika-free itinerary to an unknown (and they mentioned a possible Zika site in the Bahamas). People who need to medically avoid Zika need the opportunity to disembark and the cruise line being secretive or not planning ahead is making it impossible for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bermuda Weather Services put out a tropical update at 3:00 this afternoon that both Nicole and Matthew were going to affect the island. Nicole will affect Bermuda as a possible hurricane on Thursday.

It's hurricane season, and you don't always get a lot of notice.

Just enjoy the ship, and whatever ports you go to - and be thankful that you won't be in Bermuda on Thursday, or crossing through Matthew.

I understand the cruise contract and that NCL can change the itinerary. I am happy that we aren't sailing into a hurricane. I have been worried about Nicole an Matthew all week. What I don't understand is the cruise line STILL not telling us where we are going. Other cruise lines saw the hurricanes coming and cancelled or re-routed. However we are changing from a Zika-free itinerary to an unknown (and they mentioned a possible Zika site in the Bahamas). People who need to medically avoid Zika need the opportunity to disembark and the cruise line being secretive or not planning ahead is making it impossible for that to happen.

The NCL website says you are going to PC and Nassau.

The same thing happened to us on our Bermuda cruise in 2011. we went to Orlando, the Nassau and Great Stirrup cay. we were disappointed, but still had a good time. It almost happened again in 2012. They departed with no destination and went to Bermuda on schedule, but departed to NY on Thursday, rather than Friday. Please try to have a good time. Remember-a day at sea is always better than a day at the office.

Same here we were rerouted 3-4 years ago. It's not fun but in the end they want to keep you safe. After that trip though we never traveled again in hurricane season.

Nassau Bahamas were destroyed too, just like NASA center in Port Canaveral. We are going to be there in December but now I bet a lot of cleanup is happening. Just a bad happenstance.

Edited by RareBird

So iam on the boat, I am disapointed that there website ncl was not showing any of my cruise info this morning or other people i know who are on the boat, I feel NCL was deceatfull and knew last night we were not going to bermuda. And thats why the web info was allready pulled down and un available.if i need to few any of my info it was unavailable. I feel they were deceatefull on there phones also, we called yesterday and this morning and they said NO PROBLEMS EXSPECTED . Thats wrong!

Fingers crossed the we head anyplace south.

Sorry to tell you this, but that info comes off for every cruise at that time, it has nothing to do with yoru specific cruise.

I feel the need to restate something vitally important, although I believe most get the flick..

If you're sitting at JFK, and a blizzard (blowing snow, ice, wind shear, low visibility) is expected to impact your flight to Denver, posing get risk to your life and bringing high levels of unnecessary risk and the airline cancelled the flight, the vast majority wouldn't think twice about the decision. This is sound safety judgement, even at the financial cost to the airline.

So, why are there crowds of irate people giving the crew trouble over a decision that is meant to safeguard their lives and property. I would be thankful that you're with an OUTSTANDING Captain and bridge crew who cares for your safety and not just revenue. Need I remind everyone about RCI's Anthem of the Seas incident, where the crew knowingly put lives and property in danger by not making a safe and conservative decision? Schedule and revenue became more important to that carrier. The ship sustained damage, and people's lives were unecessarily put at risk (controllable risk which they crew elected to take on).

So, if you're reading this and are upset about your change, think about the alternative. Relax, sit back, have a cocktail, and enjoy that beautiful ship. You're on there BA for heavens sake. ENJOY! If you do travel to Florida and the Bahamas, at least it will be warm and sunny.

This by the way, is spoken from an Airline and Private Jet Captain. I've had to tell people, some you see on TV or hear on the radio, we can't go many times. It's not easy, sometimes impossible, and it's met with great frustration (sometimes) but it's what we're paid to do, and what your cruise line is doing well, looking after your life and that of your loved ones. That's priority ONE.

Enjoy your week...

Edited by SailBreakaway

You are going to Port Canaveral and Nassau, and you are getting $200 per cabin OBC (according to ncl.com)

From NCL.com:

Sunday, October 9 at 6:30 pm ET (10:30 pm UTC)

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is always our number one priority. The company is closely monitoring the path of the remnants of Hurricane Matthew, now a post tropical weather system, and Tropical Storm Nicole in the Atlantic Ocean. Tropical weather systems are very unpredictable and can change direction, speed or intensity in very short time periods. While it is our intention to maintain the ship's original itinerary whenever possible, the safety of our guests and crew takes precedence.

To ensure a safe and enjoyable cruise, Norwegian Breakaway will remain alongside in New York this evening, to allow Tropical System Matthew to move further away from the coast and out to sea, so as to minimize the impact as the ship sails south. As both weather systems are now moving towards Bermuda, we will also be adjusting Norwegian Breakaway's itinerary for this week's cruise to call in Port Canaveral on Wednesday from 12 pm until 9 pm and in Nassau on Thursday, from 3 pm until 9 pm.

We thank our guests for their patience and understanding as we make every effort to ensure they have a wonderful cruise vacation. As a gesture of our appreciation, we will be offering every stateroom a $200 onboard credit. We sincerely thank our guests for choosing Norwegian for their cruise vacation and the 1600 dedicated crew members aboard Norwegian Breakaway will do everything in their power to make Norwegian Breakaway's cruise this week the most spectacular vacation experience possible.

Two terrible ports and $200 OBC on an itinerary that is usually leaps and bounds more expensive than most Caribbean cruises... I'll be stopping by Guest Services at some point in the next day or so.

Edit: Six hours, starting in the late afternoon, in Nassau... why even bother?

Edited by optimusprime82

I can understand being disappointed, but what good does it do to line up at guest services and yell? I'm certain they will let folks off the ship if they don't want to sail, but expecting a concession from NCL is childish. You roll the dice booking cheap cruises during hurricane season and sometimes you lose. Make the best of it and enjoy time with your families.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm so sorry to hear this. We just got off the ship today. The captain had decided to leave early on Friday because of the storm. Could not understand why, as the sun was shinning and it was beautiful outside. Friday nite the ship was swaying and people were feeling ill.. Me I loved the swaying.. Sadly you had plans of enjoying the week in the sunshine but the weather has a different plan. Try and enjoy what you can..

Both my wife and I are disappointed and upset. We both know that NCL doesn't control the weather but that doesn't change the fact that fact that months of planning and thousands of dollars have now been spent on what may turn out to be an incredibly disappointing trip. Are we going to try and make the best of it? Absolutely, but at this point we don't know anything about what the future holds for our trip. We haven't gone down to Guest Services, we haven't yelled and screamed at anyone. Currently we're sitting in our cabin licking our wounds.

To those that are saying, "this is what you get when you book during hurricane season" please take a moment to realize what a jerk you sound like. The cruise lines obviously offer itineraries during times of the year that they feel they can safely sail. I'm sure most of realize that nothing is certain, weather is unpredictable but to essentially say, "you're getting what you deserve" is pretty tactless. None of us asked for this to happen, we picked a sailing date that was offered to us, we didn't force NCL to offer October Bermuda dates.

My wife and I booked this trip ten months ago. Since then she's been laid off from her job, gone on unemployment and found a new job. Somehow we've still managed to make this trip happen despite her not having any vacation days at her new job, this entire week off for her is unpaid. We scrapped every penny we had and fought hard for months for this one week of fun in Bermuda and a few expensive days in NYC.

So yeah, it's a lot easier said than done to be super happy about the possibility of heading to Florida and the Bahamas at this point. I could have planned that trip on my own with a lot less effort and expense.

All that being said, please take a deep breath, sit back, have a cocktail and enjoy yourselves. You’re together, you’re safe, and people are going to wait on you for a week. As they say...sh.... happens. I know how disappointing this is, but it is. Next cruise will be a dream come true....I feel it.

I can understand being disappointed, but what good does it do to line up at guest services and yell? I'm certain they will let folks off the ship if they don't want to sail, but expecting a concession from NCL is childish. You roll the dice booking cheap cruises during hurricane season and sometimes you lose. Make the best of it and enjoy time with your families.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agreed. I think it is what it is, and expecting anything more is setting oneself up for another disappointment.

Vacation for Americans is a hard earned prize. All of you on that ship must be disappointed that these storms have interrupted your plans. I hear you. Your plans are changed.

Say you got 10 days off right now. No work 10 days. Your staying an extra night in NYC. Really got off your asses and get some tickets to Broadway and go eat at Nobu 57 maybe you'll run into Rosie or Ivanka.

Your in Manhattan and in the words edited of Aunty Mame, "Life is a banquet and most fools are starving, Live Live Live".

Plus wherever you go your on the Breakaway. There is plenty to do wherever you go. Just chill and go with it. You can either be bitchy or happy. Choose, but I'd lean with happy. Your teaching your kids some valuable lessons about just having fun being together. ON A SHIP.

Just chill this will be fun.

Bill and I leave on the Breakaway Three weeks from today.

If we were grounded to the port for 7 days on the west side of Manhattan.

OMG that would become a one week dream vacation all inclusive in NYC.

REALLY! We'd be stoked and in 3 weeks we may be stoked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Zika concern is legit and they should let those people disembark that are concerned but I don't feel they owe them a refund. You can go ANYWHERE on a cruise if there are weather issues. If you aren't prepared for that the cruise line cannot refund 4500 fares. They can let people off while in NY though if they insist. I think? :confused:

I do feel badly for anyone who has concerns over Zika. It appears from earlier posts that they were not letting anyone disembark at all. Even without any refund of fare.

I think the question was pertaining to "since you are in NYC overnight are you allowed to disembark and enjoy the city"

I can't see NCL holding people hostage for a week if people wanted to leave the ship and go home. I've travelled with people who disembarked at a port mid cruise and flew home without issue.

The people who are on the Breakaway now and want to leave to go home may need to wait a bit for the dust to settle and be processed by Customs, etc.

sent using Forums mobile app

I seem to recall the Anthem of the seas getting caught in a few really bad storms. The people were furious at RC for sailing through those storms. You signed a contract when you booked your cruise, and it said no refunds. Sit back, have a drink and relax.

A co worker of mine and her husband are aboard. They were looking forward to going to Bermuda for almost a year, just them, no kids. :-) I gave them lots of Bermuda tips since I've been there before and they haven't. Feel really bad for them and hope they make the best of it.

Also when we went it was in May. Didn't have to worry about hurricanes, just jelly fish. :-)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk