Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

Disappointing yes.

If anyone on the ship wants to trade places with me I would be happy to board. Being on Breakaway is waaay better than being at work!

Take a look at what happened to RCI Grandeur of the Seas between leaving Baltimore yesterday on a Bermuda trip and today....They are now headed for Port Liberty, Bayonne NJ.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2410797

I hope you all can just enjoy the ship and hopefully calmer seas (and passengers!) tomorrow.

Safe Sailing!

P.S. Go to Malting's for drinks and say hi to Elliot. He's a great bartender

Edited by meatball_nyc

Shouting at guest services! Some guy screaming at guest services ... he is a police officer ... lots of ship's officers around

What a tool. Jesus people are children.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think there should be licenses required for travel.

First, if someone insists on traveling in the height of Hurricane season, might be a good idea to do some research prior to leaving. These storms have been brewing and advancing for well over a week. Should be absolutely no surprise.

Second, if the cruise line makes a decision to alter an itinerary for safety reasons (like a tropical storm directly in your path--Matthew, and a hurricane set to make a direct hit on your destination of Bermuda--Nicole) maybe it would make sense to just shut up and not try to take it out on staff who had nothing to do with the decision.

Third, speaking as one who has had MANY itinerary changes--including Bermuda--over the years, just take a deep breath and enjoy the trip. Better be safe in New England than in danger in the open and boiling Atlantic.

Disappointing yes.

If anyone on the ship wants to trade places with me I would be happy to board. Being on Breakaway is waaay better than being at work!

Take a look at what happened to RCI Grandeur of the Seas between leaving Baltimore yesterday on a Bermuda trip and today....They are now headed for Port Liberty, Bayonne NJ.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2410797

I hope you all can just enjoy the ship and hopefully calmer seas (and passengers!) tomorrow.

Safe Sailing!

P.S. Go to Malting's for drinks and say hi to Elliot. He's a great bartender

I agree- I can imagine people are disappointed but I would make the best of a situation and try somewhat to relax. What happens? Do they offer excursions in the 3 ports or are people left to come up with their own plans? Although not a first choice, it is better than being in stormy weather. However, NCL should have given people a day's notice if it was at all possible, obviously forecasts change

They even have the spa person and a chef down on guest services to help with crowd control. The officers are splitting off the angriest and taking them to rooms behind the GS desk - trying hard to keep things mellow

Make some youtube videos! :D

I'm sorry, but if people believe it is acceptable to behave like children towards staff, that more than likely had no bearing whatsoever on whether the ship would sail, they should grow up and be told not to come back.

Like others have said, wherever you are going, it will be better than being at work! The company has a duty of care and i'm sure nobody on here wants to here of any sort of incident occuring due to a ship unsafely going out to sea, I appreciatr the timing isn't great on NCL's part but at the end of the day, it is storm season, you take the risk for the cheaper fares at this time of the year, it's made abundantly clear that they can and will do so if needs must.

When the Epic ended up in dry dock for an extra day, we were mightily dissappointed but to NCL's credit we pretty much ended up with a free cruise by the time we had been compensated for the day we missed, they will sort you out, have faith.

Enjoy wherever you get too and rebook for May/June and pray the weather is better!

Edited by LancsCruiser

I have 2 Friends on board. Im happy they are safe. The Captain had no choice but to cancel tonight and Bermuda

There is very high surge of water in NY Harbor.

The beach at Coney Island is covered in surf up to the board walk

It would be difficult for the Breakaway to pass under the Verrazano.

There is high surf warnings by NOAA off NY and NJ, due to Matthew.

This extends all the way to Bermuda

The Breakaway would have to cross the path of Matthew.

Then to make matters worse, Nicole is on its way to Bermuda, Wenesday or

Thursday.!!!

It is ,what it is

Eh, I don't hate my job, I have control of my schedule, and no one else does my work when I'm away. I would just as soon disembark with credit and try again another day.

Yes, I understand that some folks feel that you should just swallow and be happy, but this is a business built on loyalty, customer service, and good will. NCL is making a bad situation worse. Does it have to make it better ... no. Should it make it better ... yes. And, I say this as a shareholder as well as a passenger.

These people at guest services are the same people that would be complaining if the ship went out to sea in really rough seas or hit the tail end of the hurricane. Many years ago, not on NCL, we were cruising back from Bermuda and hit the tail end of a hurricane. Let me tell you it was NOT fun. One of the ship's stabilizers were damaged. After that experience I would rather just be on a safe ship.

NCL is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Just can't make everyone happy.

Hope all on board enjoy all that the ship has to offer this week.

Shouting at guest services! Some guy screaming at guest services ... he is a police officer ... lots of ship's officers around
MOS should know better and that's a disgrace (Members of Service ... lingo for insiders, someone in the uniformed services here locally)

I noticed you are from the FL area, must be amusing to travel up to NY for the BA cruise to Bermuda and with this announced itinerary change, sailing in the direction of home instead ... hoping you are in good spirit and maintaining a sense of humor. Folks in the NC and SC are dealing with massive flooding, post-Matthew for the next 24 to 48 hours and sections of I-95 are closed as a result - as that storm has been downgraded overnight ... yet, the path of destruction continuing.

Nicole was going to wobble in circle and dissolve/merge with Matt & harmless as a tropical depression ... such is the imprecise nature of weather forecast in dealing with mother nature. Oceanweather dot com showing 25' to 35' waves, and those are huge & big ones, even for the *Away class ships - to sail safely thru without closing things down to sail directly into a hurricane for Bermuda.

Safety (and, comfort) comes first for the ship captain to look at all his available navigation and weather data in making the decision to choose a different itinerary - airlines started cancelling flights ahead of the approaching hurricane in the projected path last week ... preaching to the choir here, file one's claim with the trip insurance if available and if "self-insured" by choosing not to buy such coverage, the ship is still going to sail, out of harm's way. Unlike ships going north to NE/Canada, at least one don't need to worry about colder weather and a jacket.

Perhaps NCL corporate will come up with some form of symbolic OBC, compensation (I know, they don't have to nor need to, etc. etc.) or should've - like CCL or other lines - tell the passengers before checking in this morning that they aren't going to Bermuda ... with the option to cancel or not board. But, this is the way NCL's business model - not something to cheer about and they are just sticking with their contractal obligations. It's a Catch 22 situation and IMO, one that they wished to avoid if they could've.

Going to be one interesting CC Meet & Greet with the ship's officers if scheduled. Now, waiting for Fox News & CNN breaking coverage to go with social media ... just as interesting as an escape to the debate later on, LOL.

Edited by mking8288

Both my wife and I are disappointed and upset. We both know that NCL doesn't control the weather but that doesn't change the fact that fact that months of planning and thousands of dollars have now been spent on what may turn out to be an incredibly disappointing trip. Are we going to try and make the best of it? Absolutely, but at this point we don't know anything about what the future holds for our trip. We haven't gone down to Guest Services, we haven't yelled and screamed at anyone. Currently we're sitting in our cabin licking our wounds.

To those that are saying, "this is what you get when you book during hurricane season" please take a moment to realize what a jerk you sound like. The cruise lines obviously offer itineraries during times of the year that they feel they can safely sail. I'm sure most of realize that nothing is certain, weather is unpredictable but to essentially say, "you're getting what you deserve" is pretty tactless. None of us asked for this to happen, we picked a sailing date that was offered to us, we didn't force NCL to offer October Bermuda dates.

My wife and I booked this trip ten months ago. Since then she's been laid off from her job, gone on unemployment and found a new job. Somehow we've still managed to make this trip happen despite her not having any vacation days at her new job, this entire week off for her is unpaid. We scrapped every penny we had and fought hard for months for this one week of fun in Bermuda and a few expensive days in NYC.

So yeah, it's a lot easier said than done to be super happy about the possibility of heading to Florida and the Bahamas at this point. I could have planned that trip on my own with a lot less effort and expense.

Eh, I don't hate my job, I have control of my schedule, and no one else does my work when I'm away. I would just as soon disembark with credit and try again another day.

Yes, I understand that some folks feel that you should just swallow and be happy, but this is a business built on loyalty, customer service, and good will. NCL is making a bad situation worse. Does it have to make it better ... no. Should it make it better ... yes. And, I say this as a shareholder as well as a passenger.

Are they supposed to refund 4+ million dollars? If you cruise in hurricane season you have to willing to accept a new itinerary at any time or forfeit your fare. It's happened to me so I have no problems saying this. It sucks but it's not the end of the world.

If you got off the Ship now, will I doubt if you will get a flight to Florida today.

Due to the Hurricanes.

The Captain makes decisions based on NOAA , Coast Guard ,etc

The Captain makes decisions to keep ALL passengers , crew and ship safe.

Passengers have the Responsiblity to help Captain maintain this.

Your all on the Same Ship together!

Get over yourself.:rolleyes:

Just off the Breakaway this morning. First... I would expect anyone to be disappointed. But how did people seriously think they were going to Bermuda? How did they not see the weather forecast with at least 1, and possibly two hurricanes going right for Bermuda? We left Bermuda 2 hours early on Friday and I can tell you that night was ROUGH, and the storm was still 350 miles away at that point. It was pretty scary. There is no way any sane person would want to sail into that. And the captain kept us up to date about both hurricanes, saying that the two could combine into a stronger storm.

Both my wife and I are disappointed and upset. We both know that NCL doesn't control the weather but that doesn't change the fact that fact that months of planning and thousands of dollars have now been spent on what may turn out to be an incredibly disappointing trip. Are we going to try and make the best of it? Absolutely, but at this point we don't know anything about what the future holds for our trip. We haven't gone down to Guest Services, we haven't yelled and screamed at anyone. Currently we're sitting in our cabin licking our wounds.

To those that are saying, "this is what you get when you book during hurricane season" please take a moment to realize what a jerk you sound like. The cruise lines obviously offer itineraries during times of the year that they feel they can safely sail. I'm sure most of realize that nothing is certain, weather is unpredictable but to essentially say, "you're getting what you deserve" is pretty tactless. None of us asked for this to happen, we picked a sailing date that was offered to us, we didn't force NCL to offer October Bermuda dates.

My wife and I booked this trip ten months ago. Since then she's been laid off from her job, gone on unemployment and found a new job. Somehow we've still managed to make this trip happen despite her not having any vacation days at her new job, this entire week off for her is unpaid. We scrapped every penny we had and fought hard for months for this one week of fun in Bermuda and a few expensive days in NYC.

So yeah, it's a lot easier said than done to be super happy about the possibility of heading to Florida and the Bahamas at this point. I could have planned that trip on my own with a lot less effort and expense.

Nobody is saying that you should be "super happy". I sympathize with you completely about being disappointed. But I also watch those hurricane websites before my trip, having traveled twice in October. And honestly I was fully prepared ahead of time with all the talk of Matthew for our trip to be affected. It's a wait and see type thing. I'm telling you, it was ROUGH on Friday and the storm was still very far away. It would not be safe. Look where Nicole is headed and it's straight for Bermuda. And if cruise lines had to book on where they knew was safe, they could not sail anywhere in the ocean June-November. That doesn't make sense.

Edited by jetta8300