Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

Man people are nuts. We just got off Breakaway today, and yes we lucked out. I thought the Captain was fantastic, kept us informed and kept us safe. He explained exactly what he was doing, and why.

People really need to chill. I DO NOT want to sail into 30 foot seas.

Both my wife and I are disappointed and upset. We both know that NCL doesn't control the weather but that doesn't change the fact that fact that months of planning and thousands of dollars have now been spent on what may turn out to be an incredibly disappointing trip. Are we going to try and make the best of it? Absolutely, but at this point we don't know anything about what the future holds for our trip. We haven't gone down to Guest Services, we haven't yelled and screamed at anyone. Currently we're sitting in our cabin licking our wounds.

To those that are saying, "this is what you get when you book during hurricane season" please take a moment to realize what a jerk you sound like. The cruise lines obviously offer itineraries during times of the year that they feel they can safely sail. I'm sure most of realize that nothing is certain, weather is unpredictable but to essentially say, "you're getting what you deserve" is pretty tactless. None of us asked for this to happen, we picked a sailing date that was offered to us, we didn't force NCL to offer October Bermuda dates.

My wife and I booked this trip ten months ago. Since then she's been laid off from her job, gone on unemployment and found a new job. Somehow we've still managed to make this trip happen despite her not having any vacation days at her new job, this entire week off for her is unpaid. We scrapped every penny we had and fought hard for months for this one week of fun in Bermuda and a few expensive days in NYC.

So yeah, it's a lot easier said than done to be super happy about the possibility of heading to Florida and the Bahamas at this point. I could have planned that trip on my own with a lot less effort and expense.

Also the Carnival Sunshine left after just one day in Bermuda. They left after about 8 hours. I would rather have more than one port other than Bermuda rather than only get 8 hours. That also stinks.

Are they supposed to refund 4+ million dollars? If you cruise in hurricane season you have to willing to accept a new itinerary at any time or forfeit your fare. It's happened to me so I have no problems saying this. It sucks but it's not the end of the world.

We have had itinerary changes, and we do not travel during hurricane season. It is what it is!

Both my wife and I are disappointed and upset. We both know that NCL doesn't control the weather but that doesn't change the fact that fact that months of planning and thousands of dollars have now been spent on what may turn out to be an incredibly disappointing trip. Are we going to try and make the best of it? Absolutely, but at this point we don't know anything about what the future holds for our trip. We haven't gone down to Guest Services, we haven't yelled and screamed at anyone. Currently we're sitting in our cabin licking our wounds.

prime82 - I feel for you,, we had had a trip or two re-routed due to weather, I feel you disapointment.

To those that are saying, "this is what you get when you book during hurricane season" please take a moment to realize what a jerk you sound like. The cruise lines obviously offer itineraries during times of the year that they feel they can safely sail. I'm sure most of realize that nothing is certain, weather is unpredictable but to essentially say, "you're getting what you deserve" is pretty tactless. None of us asked for this to happen, we picked a sailing date that was offered to us, we didn't force NCL to offer October Bermuda dates.

My wife and I booked this trip ten months ago. Since then she's been laid off from her job, gone on unemployment and found a new job. Somehow we've still managed to make this trip happen despite her not having any vacation days at her new job, this entire week off for her is unpaid. We scrapped every penny we had and fought hard for months for this one week of fun in Bermuda and a few expensive days in NYC.

prime82 - I dont agree with those that say you get what you get by booking in Oct. As you look, I cruise each Sept/Oct from NYC,,, I know the risk. You are also true what you did not force NCL to offer Bermuda in October, but you choice that dates.

The "tough sh*t" approach to customer service does not equate to return business. NCL's competitors were up front and offered refunds. I would happily take the refund and go home tomorrow (and, no, I don't live in FL, silly rabbit). Hell, they could pro rate the refund ... I'll take 6/7 of a refund and even pay a DSC.

Two questions:

1. What time is/was muster?

2. Are you allowed off the ship this evening. A good night on the town would be nice.

Have a great adventure.

Roy

muster was today at 3:30. I don't believe anyone is allowed off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The "tough sh*t" approach to customer service does not equate to return business. NCL's competitors were up front and offered refunds. I would happily take the refund and go home tomorrow (and, no, I don't live in FL, silly rabbit). Hell, they could pro rate the refund ... I'll take 6/7 of a refund and even pay a DSC.

Are you expecting NCL to tell us we're "SOL" on this cruise?

Mine is throwing things. They could have told us before they closed the door an hour ago.

I’m a little confused. Is there any reason why you can’t get off the ship now since they haven’t sailed and won’t sail until tomorrow? I’d be willing to bet you would be compensated for choosing not to sail anywhere but Bermuda on this cruise even if it was a decision made by NCL in the interests of safety.

Edited by lovemydentist

I will gladly change places with ANYONE on this ship! I have been stuck here at work in a hospital in Charleston, SC since FRIDAY MORNING!!! Sleeping on a cot with all my other co-workers while my elderly and handicapped parents are at home with no power since 8pm Friday...

I know it's frustrating and too bad they didn't do Canada instead but then no one would have been dressed for colder weather.

We always cruise in the fall because it is cheaper. We buy travel insurance. We go with the mindset that if we SAT IN THE HARBOR for 7 days we'd have a great time!

OOPS! GOTTA GO! ANOTHER REAL EMERGENCY JUST HAPPENED HERE

Are you expecting NCL to tell us we're "SOL" on this cruise?

Too early to say ... I saw some upset folks when the Getaway was diverted due to hurricane, but nothing like what I saw today at customer service here on the Breakaway. I thought there were going to be fists flying. I don't know if it is the election, the economy, or something in the water, but there just seems to be a whole lot of anger in society lately.

OK, enough of this stuff ... I'm going to use my UBP!!

I will gladly change places with ANYONE on this ship! I have been stuck here at work in a hospital in Charleston, SC since FRIDAY MORNING!!! Sleeping on a cot with all my other co-workers while my elderly and handicapped parents are at home with no power since 8pm Friday...

I know it's frustrating and too bad they didn't do Canada instead but then no one would have been dressed for colder weather.

We always cruise in the fall because it is cheaper. We buy travel insurance. We go with the mindset that if we SAT IN THE HARBOR for 7 days we'd have a great time!

OOPS! GOTTA GO! ANOTHER REAL EMERGENCY JUST HAPPENED HERE

Well said.

Evidently a lot of folks on here feel that NCL should abide by the contract we all have to sign, but some how we do not or should always be refunded for everything. How many you out there read that contract? To say NCL should be like other cruise lines is ridiculous. I cruise NCL because they are the way they are. I am sure another cruise line out there will be happy to hear all your bitching when something goes awry on that cruise.

The way I see it, I am just happy to be aboard. I go into a cruise knowing changes may happen. To me the ship is the destination, the ports are the icing on the cake. I guess if you don't feel that way, another type of vacation may be more suitable for you.

Last cruise I was on we had to return to Boston 12 hours after we left Boston due to a medical emergency. We missed 1/2 a day on the front part of our Bermuda stay. NCL gave us all a small OBC, and we stayed in Bermuda an extra night. Didn't some people rant and rave. Ungrateful human beings, a woman lost her life that night due to natural causes. NCL did all they could do to comfort the family and get her back home. I don't feel they we obligated to give us any OBC or extra Island time. They did though and that was nice, but not necessary.

No one controls the weather. Folks want to go to Bermuda. Folks do not want to go to Bermuda in the late fall, winter and early spring (temps. too cool). The best time to visit (theoretically) is May. That would give cruise lines only a month to do all the cruises. Hurricane season goes from beginning June to end of November. So when should you go to Bermuda on a cruise if not during hurricane season? Only May, and then the ocean temps are still a bit cool. And it is cold for the first day or two at sea out of Boston or the NYC. Hurricane season runs for half the year. You don't like the odds of your cruise being diverted due to storms? Do only caribbean cruises after November and before June.

I'm on this cruise right now. Never been to Bermuda and was excited to go. But oh well, just another reason to come back. I'm sure we will get some sort of credit. Plus I had insurance so I'm getting $500 for the port change.

This is what happens when you sail during hurricane season. Not going to stop me from having fun! :D

That’s the attitude of a true cruise lover!!! Have a wonderful time.

I’m a little confused. Is there any reason why you can’t get off the ship now since they haven’t sailed and won’t sail until tomorrow? I’d be willing to bet you would be compensated for choosing not to sail anywhere but Bermuda on this cruise even if it was a decision made by NCL in the interests of safety.

I don't believe anyone can disembark but I could be wrong. If you do disembark you will lose your money. NCL is within its rights to change the itinerary in circumstances such as this.

i will gladly change places with anyone on this ship! I have been stuck here at work in a hospital in charleston, sc since friday morning!!! Sleeping on a cot with all my other co-workers while my elderly and handicapped parents are at home with no power since 8pm friday...

I know it's frustrating and too bad they didn't do canada instead but then no one would have been dressed for colder weather.

We always cruise in the fall because it is cheaper. We buy travel insurance. We go with the mindset that if we sat in the harbor for 7 days we'd have a great time!

Oops! Gotta go! Another real emergency just happened here

i agree!!!!

I don't understand why people get angry. The cruise line must keep you safe. The storm is clearly heading to Bermuda. Do people not check the weather forecast?

So iam on the boat, I am disapointed that there website ncl was not showing any of my cruise info this morning or other people i know who are on the boat, I feel NCL was deceatfull and knew last night we were not going to bermuda. And thats why the web info was allready pulled down and un available.if i need to few any of my info it was unavailable. I feel they were deceatefull on there phones also, we called yesterday and this morning and they said NO PROBLEMS EXSPECTED . Thats wrong!

Fingers crossed the we head anyplace south.

Eh, I don't hate my job, I have control of my schedule, and no one else does my work when I'm away. I would just as soon disembark with credit and try again another day.

Yes, I understand that some folks feel that you should just swallow and be happy, but this is a business built on loyalty, customer service, and good will. NCL is making a bad situation worse. Does it have to make it better ... no. Should it make it better ... yes. And, I say this as a shareholder as well as a passenger.

What do you expect them to do exactly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Too early to say ... I saw some upset folks when the Getaway was diverted due to hurricane, but nothing like what I saw today at customer service here on the Breakaway. I thought there were going to be fists flying. I don't know if it is the election, the economy, or something in the water, but there just seems to be a whole lot of anger in society lately.

OK, enough of this stuff ... I'm going to use my UBP!!

Have a wonderful time and keep your great attitude!!!

Both my wife and I are disappointed and upset ... Are we going to try and make the best of it? ... So yeah, it's a lot easier said than done to be super happy about the possibility of heading to Florida and the Bahamas at this point. I could have planned that trip on my own with a lot less effort and expense. <snipped>

Understood and I can empathize with being upset about the last minute change in plan, due to unforseen weather in the professional judgement of the ship captain, with safety in mind. I don't think anyone is happy about it, nor expected to - should and can NCL be nice, offer something as a goodwill, symbolic or otherwise ... maybe, perhaps, would be nice but they still have time to make it up. I highly doubt that the captain has that delegated authority to offer anything but the safety of the crew and passengers - all the souls onboard the BA now are in his hands ... and, he is taking that seriously & plotting a different course, most likely a last minute decision based on best & latest data (and, not a conspiracy to ruin everyone's cruise vacation).

We've sailed in the winter months with the threats of blizzard & storms that threatened to shut down our NYC homeport, booked & sailed during hurricane season - with changed ports and survived very rough sea conditions, in 30' to 40' waves ... in much smaller ships.

Imagine sailing the next 2 days in 30' waves just to get to Bermuda and then turn around to outrun Nicole, again in 30' waves on a CTN and dock again in NYC - would those of you onboard be happy and less disappointed.

Those lives ruined in Cuba, Haiti, Central Florida and the Carolina - I think some of them wouldn't mind trading places.

I don't believe anyone can disembark but I could be wrong. If you do disembark you will lose your money. NCL is within its rights to change the itinerary in circumstances such as this.

OH....I understand; however, if your wife is that upset, maybe it wouldn’t hurt to ask some questions. Maybe in these circumstances, they would offer you either a full refund or at least a partial refund.