Pre-Trip Report: First Timer Family on Carnival Triumph Over Spring Break 2017

hawkinsh

Hi Heath,

I love reading your enthusiasm for your first cruise!

I'll be sailing on the Triumph for Spring Break too, and this will be my 21st cruise! :p My parents gave me the bug when I was a teenager..

I was just in Cozumel on Saturday onboard a Royal Caribbean ship, and spent the day at Paradise Beach Club. It was only $3/each to enter. This includes lounge chairs and umbrellas. For an extra $18/person, you can use all of the inflatable water toys in the ocean, snorkel gear, and the beautiful pool. With your children and some mobility issues, this might be a great option for you! I recall the bathrooms were also handicap accessible (but maybe email just to confirm).

They offer a full menu of food and drinks (non-alcoholic also). We are not big drinkers, so I was hesitant to go to an AI beach club where a lot of the adults would be sloshed. I didn't find this at Paradise Beach.

Where are you guys staying in New Orleans? We've booked the Hampton Inn & Suites because we are a family of 4, also traveling with my parents (who will be in a nearby room).

I will enjoy hearing about your experience once you return!

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on March 27th Spring Break cruise, we have been so busy i have not decided what to do in each port... we are a family of 5 me, husband, son 23, dil 23, and son 15. We want to go snorkeling any suggestions? Which port to do that? What to do at other port?? We want to get some sun, swim and have some drinks!

We are booked on March 27th Spring Break cruise, we have been so busy i have not decided what to do in each port... we are a family of 5 me, husband, son 23, dil 23, and son 15. We want to go snorkeling any suggestions? Which port to do that? What to do at other port?? We want to get some sun, swim and have some drinks!

Definitely do your snorkeling in Cozumel which is world famous for that kind of thing. Based on what you are saying you want, I would just stay on the ship in Progreso - you will be able to enjoy the pools, sun decks, and bars in relative peace while the rest of us are oohing and aahing at Mayan ruins. Progreso looks to have mediocre to dismal beach and water conditions, though there are a couple excursions that will take you to a nearby resort. . . to enjoy the sun, the pool, and the bar. Which are all available back on the ship.

We have several cruises from NOLA one last Spring Break. Yes there are people drinking but I have never had a problem with drunk behavior. We always drive overnight from our home near Dallas and get there just in time to have beignets at Cafe du Monde and head for the ship. I agree with the poster who said to make sure the kids go to the club the first night to meet kids and see the club. From then you can decide what works for your family. We have had cruises where we barely saw our boys except when we made them come to dinner and others when one son barely left the cabin. But that was only because he was having too much fun watching Cartoon Network and movies and ordering room service😀. Also another vote for Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

Have a great trip!

Another enthusiastic vote for Paradise Island. You and your kids will have a blast on the water toys while your MIL can sit and watch from a beach chair. Then later, move everyone over to the beautiful pool. Its a quick taxi ride from the cruise terminal. Have a great cruise!

But I still really wanted to go on a cruise, so I started looking at Carnival. I just did not want to do Carnival. I had heard so many mixed reviews. Several people talked about Carnival being a “party” cruise. That is just not my family. As I said in our cast list, I’m a pastor. We do not drink at all, and I am uncomfortable abound people who are drunk and have lost control of themselves. However my principal/boss had good things to say about her experience last year over spring break. She and I are very much alike in our personalities. So I decided it would be okay to give up WDW one year to give a cruise a try./quote]

I'm sure you all are getting excited, with the cruise starting in just a few more days. I'll be looking forward to your review. Dh and I are Baptist missionaries, so had a lot of the same concerns you mentioned. Carnival definitely had more of a reputation of "party boat/booze cruise" back in the 90's, though I don't know if it was deserved then or not. Whatever the case back then, our research convinced us that today Carnival offers a wide variety of things to do and has a lot of family-friendly entertainment options (our style even when our kids aren't with us). We're sailing on the other Carnival ship out of New Orleans, the Dream, but will still enjoy hearing the opinions of someone with a similar mindset.

Blessings,

SiraJoy

Hello – Just found this board – booked the cruise months ago. Just me and my 18 year old son going. This is his senior year of high school. We are pretty excited yet I am nervous. We have never been on a cruise before! We are coming from Indiana. Driving down, leaving on Saturday stopping on the way to see my Dad in KY. Will get to New Orleans on Sunday to do a little site seeing. Forget exactly what hotel we are staying at how.

Should I pre-pay or pre-book the parking? I seem to see some mention of that or I can do that when we get to the port. I was going to park at the port but now I am thinking of the Fulton.

In Cozumel we are swimming with the dolphins. Something I have wanted to do for so long.

In Progresso we have an all-inclusive beach resort booked.

Hoping after both excursions we have time to explore the ports a little when we get back. Do a little shopping. Wondering if I shouldn’t have booked excursions in both ports. Does anyone know if this is usually normal or is it usually time to get back on the ship as soon as you get back?

A little nervous about it being spring break and being so packed. Not being able to find chairs at the pool. We have any time dining so nervous about having to wait forever to get seated to eat. I am just nervous about all the unknowns LOL. I need to relax and just go with the flow I know. I know we will have a great time.

Being a first time cruiser I don’t know what to expect.

Hello – Just found this board – booked the cruise months ago. Just me and my 18 year old son going. This is his senior year of high school. We are pretty excited yet I am nervous. We have never been on a cruise before! We are coming from Indiana. Driving down, leaving on Saturday stopping on the way to see my Dad in KY. Will get to New Orleans on Sunday to do a little site seeing. Forget exactly what hotel we are staying at how.

Should I pre-pay or pre-book the parking? I seem to see some mention of that or I can do that when we get to the port. I was going to park at the port but now I am thinking of the Fulton.

In Cozumel we are swimming with the dolphins. Something I have wanted to do for so long.

In Progresso we have an all-inclusive beach resort booked.

Hoping after both excursions we have time to explore the ports a little when we get back. Do a little shopping. Wondering if I shouldn’t have booked excursions in both ports. Does anyone know if this is usually normal or is it usually time to get back on the ship as soon as you get back?

A little nervous about it being spring break and being so packed. Not being able to find chairs at the pool. We have any time dining so nervous about having to wait forever to get seated to eat. I am just nervous about all the unknowns LOL. I need to relax and just go with the flow I know. I know we will have a great time.

I did ATD with my then 4 year old and it was cool. Longest we ever had to wait was maybe 10 minutes. We went during Thanksgiving so there was an abundance of kids/families at that time so there were lots of people. Enjoy. Go with the flow.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

If your "Princess" loves tea parties take her to the high tea in the main dining room she'll love it.

I've never been to one but other in past sailing groups have and the pictures looked fun. Would be a fun moms and daughters time

while you have fun with the boys.

I'm excited for you and your family. I'm adding a few thoughts from a 74 year old perspective. My husband and I love Carnival. It is a nice mixture of young, old and young at heart; not a party ship as often thought of.

We both now have mobility issues so be sure to request wheel chair assistance on embarkation for your MIL. The ramps to board can be long and steep. The scooter in the cabin is fine, BUT you don't want her to be worn out from just getting on board.

On our last cruise, my husband had a scooter, but I used a rolling walker with a seat. He used that on previous cruises even though he only uses a cane at home. I have just started using a cane, but found the rollator extremely helpful for moving around the ship.

As a retired elementary teacher, I must admit I LOVED the Dr. Seuss breakfast. The regular brunch menu is available so it isn't just green eggs and ham. I did have the green eggs and ham. LOL. Steak and eggs, omelets, eggs Benedict, whatever your heart desires. That should make your sons happy. I went to the breakfast with three 65+ year old friends. Not at all ashamed to go without a child. We also marched in the parade with the Cat in the Hat and enjoyed the storytime with him.

I agree about the afternoon tea. It is held around 3:00 on SEA DAYS. Dainty sandwiches, pastries and tea. Several times there was a pianist playing softly. Your daughter will love it.

Finally, yes, the addiction is real. Our first was 8 years ago and we just returned from cruise #8.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Memories are made of family adventures. I hope you will write a review or at least a follow up to tell us how everything worked out.

Happy Sails To YOU

Hello – Just found this board – booked the cruise months ago. Just me and my 18 year old son going. This is his senior year of high school. We are pretty excited yet I am nervous. We have never been on a cruise before!

Leave your nervousness at home. Enjoy the pampered life on a ship. Expect you and your son to be addicted o cruising!

We leave tomorrow to head to NOLA, and I am over the moon excited. We have decided to head down the day before and stay in a hotel somewhere along the path. I plan to stop within an hour of the port, so we will not have to get up too early. I did purchase FTTF as my mother-law has an oxygen compressor that she uses at night. Carnival said that she would not be allowed to check it as luggage, so we did not want to have to roll it around with us until our room would be ready. This way we will be able to go to our room, maybe get into our swim suits, then head to lunch. My plan and hope is to be on the ship by about noon. Our actual check in time is 10:30, so with FTTF we should get on pretty quick.

We also decided to just park at the pier. We discussed parking at Fulton, as many said it was super easy and several dollars per day cheaper. However, with my mother-law mobility issues, we will be able to just get in the wheel chair and ride all the way into the ship.

I think I am most excited about the food. My kids are very picky eater, so our normal menu is not that exciting. I told my wife that if it is on the menu and I have never had it, I am ordering it. I have fully committed to the 10 lb plan. I just home it is not more than that. LOL

We plan to do Paradise Beach in Cozumel and we have a private excursion in Progreso to tour the Xumal Ruins, swim in a Cenote and visit an old church and market. I am so excited. We have never been to Mexico either.

We also plan to do the Seuss Breakfast and afternoon tea. I hope that my kids enjoy the kids club, so that I will have some alone time with my wife. We will see. If not, it is a family vacation, so we will have a blast with the kiddos.

One more time, let me say I am so excited!!!

Hi all!

hawkinsh ~ well it's been a long time coming but it's finally here! It's been fun following your journey. I hope you & your family have a fantastic first cruise & will go on to do many more. Looking forward to hearing how it all went upon your return.

Bon voyage!:ship:

~ Jo ~ :)