Travel insurance - cruise to Hawaii

Most cruises ( apart from world) are in 'regions'. Our next cruise in April is Sydney - Honolulu via Pacific Islands.

As this is just a quick 'rest relax enjoy being aboard cruise' we will be staying overnight in Honolulu and then flying home the next day.

There are differing thoughts in our household as to which region we need insurance for. The Pacific or Worldwide (because we are actually on land - USA - for 24 hrs and one just never knows)

I'm not questioning the need for travel insurance just the region. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by cranethie

As bodog said, you'd need coverage for the US.

You need coverage for the most expensive region you travel through on your trip. The reason is just to ensure you have sufficient coverage.

If you have an accident in the US (Hawaii - or even onboard ship a day or few out and helivaced back), you need to be able to cover the costs there. Given medical costs in the US are substantial, if you only chose south pacific cover and something serious happened you may find yourself underinsured and still with a debt owing at the end - which defeats the point of getting insurance.

It'd be the same even if not cruising but just e.g. stopping over in the US to somewhere else. If there is a risk of medical accident there you need to have enough coverage to cover you if something goes wrong there - or where they are the closest territory, i.e. where you would be transported to.

I'm doing the same cruise in October 2017 from Honolulu to Sydney - my insurer has already quoted me and told me I need worldwide cover which would include airlifting me from the middle of anywhere back to Sydney - quote for my husband and myself was about $320 - we are spending 7 days in Hawaii prior to the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums