Pacific princess hit breakwater In port nice

princessfanboy

I just called Princess expressing concern about our cruise out of Civitavechia. A very pleasant agent said that they get daily updates and today there was nothing on the Princess so she put me on hold to consult with someone. Upon resumption of our conversation, she said the ship will be operable for our 28 October date. I emphasized that many people may be going over early and it would be very inconvenient to delay any notice of cancellation. I HOPE the information was accurate! Look foward to meeting you all very soon. Bob Nalley

......if it turns out to be reliable. Per the web cam, the ship is still in Nice, France. Maybe they are going to do the repairs in Nice? I don't know what is even possible in that area but I sure hope we get to meet you all in Civitavechia on Oct 28th! I wish Princess would put out a little more news and updates regarding the damage and status of the repairs so that we would not be playing "what if" with our plans.

John & Patsy

Edited by jcw0313

......if it turns out to be reliable. Per the web cam, the ship is still in Nice, France. Maybe they are going to do the repairs in Nice? I don't know what is even possible in that area but I sure hope we get to meet you all in Civitavechia on Oct 28th! I wish Princess would put out a little more news and updates regarding the damage and status of the repairs so that we would not be playing "what if" with our plans.

John & Patsy

In case you didn't see an email from Princess yet, the ship is scheduled to make its way to Genoa tomorrow to continue the repair process. The Oct 28 cruise is still on, but it depends on how the repairs proceed.

Edited by rabbit702

In case you didn't see an email from Princess yet, the ship is scheduled to make its way to Genoa tomorrow to continue the repair process. The Oct 28 cruise is still on, but it depends on how the repairs proceed.

Both of Fincantieri's drydocks in Genoa can take the Pacific. GMG also has 3 drydocks that can handle the Pacific. With a 5-6 hour run to Genoa, and a 11 hour run from Genoa to Civitavecchia, and an a.m. 28th embarkation in Civitavecchia, that gives them better than 8 days to dock the ship, repair, paint, and undock. For a ship this size, and the damage quoted previously, this is eminently doable. The biggest time consumer is having enough time to let the underwater paint cure before flooding the drydock. I am assuming they are drydocking, because underwater repairs using a cofferdam could have been done in Nice, but the yard facilities are better in Genoa, so they still could do repairs without drydocking.

Both of Fincantieri's drydocks in Genoa can take the Pacific. GMG also has 3 drydocks that can handle the Pacific. With a 5-6 hour run to Genoa, and a 11 hour run from Genoa to Civitavecchia, and an a.m. 28th embarkation in Civitavecchia, that gives them better than 8 days to dock the ship, repair, paint, and undock. For a ship this size, and the damage quoted previously, this is eminently doable. The biggest time consumer is having enough time to let the underwater paint cure before flooding the drydock. I am assuming they are drydocking, because underwater repairs using a cofferdam could have been done in Nice, but the yard facilities are better in Genoa, so they still could do repairs without drydocking.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for your insight and information chengkp75. We talked to Princess midday today and received the information about repairs being done in Genoa and taking the ship there tomorrow. I guess we should know if our Oct 28 cruise will be canceled by the end of this week. We are scheduled to leave the US on Wednesday Oct 26. We also are booked on the Nov 09 Pacific Princess departure from Venice. Sounds like we are in limbo until an assessment as to how long the repairs will take is made. Let's wait and see what the next few days bring.....but we are still hoping for the best!!

John & Patsy

Edited by jcw0313

Have just watched pacific princess sailing out of Nice port. Past the breakwater. Looks as though the pilot just left the ship.

thanks melgirl. i heard she was going today and wondered when she would sail. i thought it would be earlier in the day (france time).

My husband and I booked a midship mini suite on the 10/16 sailing 18 months ago. I think we actually booked the first cabin on the ship. Several weeks before the cruise we were offered an upsell to a 900 sq ft aft suite on deck 7 with numerous perks. I was so excited. We had never been to Barcelona, so we booked a hotel room for 3 nights prior to the cruise. I booked numerous tours in Barcelona. In addition, we booked 2 nights in Rome post cruise with numerous tickets to the underground tour at the coliseum, a nighttime tour of the Vatican, etc. and a Segway tour. We saved a long time to have 200,000 reward miles to fly business class due to my husband's neuropathy and my leg swelling. We flew on 3 flights totaling about 24 hours of flight time to Barcelona on 10/12-10/13. We arrived in a serious thunderstorm. The next day, we toured Barcelona. That night, we had booked a Flamenco concert, but I decided to check my email first. What a shock! We received an email that our cruise was cancelled. I asked our hotel if we could extend, but they were booked. I called American and asked if they could find us a flight in the next few days. They had nothing in coach and only tickets in business class for $6000 pp. I called Princess. They found us economy seats in separate areas. We had to fly with no legroom, so my legs are still recovering after 2 days, and we couldn't even sit together. We arrived home 2 days ago, and last night there was a fire above our home where we were concerned we were going to have to evacuate. Fortunately, the fire is now 75% contained. All in all, we are very disappointed.

My husband and I booked a midship mini suite on the 10/16 sailing 18 months ago. I think we actually booked the first cabin on the ship. Several weeks before the cruise we were offered an upsell to a 900 sq ft aft suite on deck 7 with numerous perks. I was so excited. We had never been to Barcelona, so we booked a hotel room for 3 nights prior to the cruise. I booked numerous tours in Barcelona. In addition, we booked 2 nights in Rome post cruise with numerous tickets to the underground tour at the coliseum, a nighttime tour of the Vatican, etc. and a Segway tour. We saved a long time to have 200,000 reward miles to fly business class due to my husband's neuropathy and my leg swelling. We flew on 3 flights totaling about 24 hours of flight time to Barcelona on 10/12-10/13. We arrived in a serious thunderstorm. The next day, we toured Barcelona. That night, we had booked a Flamenco concert, but I decided to check my email first. What a shock! We received an email that our cruise was cancelled. I asked our hotel if we could extend, but they were booked. I called American and asked if they could find us a flight in the next few days. They had nothing in coach and only tickets in business class for $6000 pp. I called Princess. They found us economy seats in separate areas. We had to fly with no legroom, so my legs are still recovering after 2 days, and we couldn't even sit together. We arrived home 2 days ago, and last night there was a fire above our home where we were concerned we were going to have to evacuate. Fortunately, the fire is now 75% contained. All in all, we are very disappointed.

How perfectly awful. Sorry for your troubles.

For you both.I sincerely hope your next cruise will turn out to be the best one ever for you deserve it.Sincerely....Kruisey:)

So very sorry for what you two have gone through. Wishing you nothing but fair winds and a following sea on your next voyage.....:):):)

Bob

Pacific Princess alongside in port of Genova.

All seemed to run according to schedule, she pulled in third in line of 4 cruiseships, but did not dock at the passenger terminal area. She is off in the distance so cannot see from webcam what kind of repair facilities are around her.

She is in the GMG shipyard, at present alongside a repair berth. One drydock appears, as of this moment to have a RO/RO passenger vessel either entering or leaving the dock, but one dock appears vacant. I would have thought that if Pacific Princess were going into drydock, they typically do this early in the morning, so that the maximum amount of time during the first day (pumping the dock, survey the ship) can be done in daylight. I'll keep watching during the day to see if they move her to drydock (they may still be resetting the blocks from the last ship) or whether she remains at the wet berth.

The repair facility being used by the Pacific Princess is called San Giorgio Del Porto. That facility tweeted out some pictures of the PP arriving into Genoa this morning. You can see the PP alongside the mooring pier - not in drydock. Of course, that could change.

You can view the tweet and pictures here: https://twitter.com/SGdP_Shipyard

There was an article today in the Nice Matin (newspaper??). Below is a translation.

"The collision occurred at dawn Friday did not cause injuries or pollution but immobilized the cruise ship ... and paralyzed a nice port quay.

He will be able to weigh anchor. Five days after hitting a sea wall on entering the port of Nice , the cruise ship "Pacific Princess" will be able to return to sea.

After repairs made during the weekend, the crew waited for the green light of the various audit offices as well as the harbor master.

Approvals obtained since the last few hours the ship was to sail on Wednesday to 17 hours.

DRYDOCK

He will set sail for Genoa to be placed several days in dry dock. Time to check if additional work is required. The time to make sure, too, that all is now in line to transport cruise passengers.

The collision with the dike, occurred when the entry maneuver Pacific Princess Friday at dawn, had caused two waterways in the hull of the ship chartered by the company "Princess Cruises" and on which were more a thousand passengers and crew members.

A collision without serious consequences (no injuries or pollution) but that forced the 180-meter building to park longer than the few hours of planned stopover in the port of Nice.

Friday, the 900 passengers had finally spent the night on the Riviera before being sent Saturday by coach to Barcelona, ​​the final destination of their Mediterranean tour.

However, the following cruise the Pacific Princess, who was to leave Sunday from Barcelona, ​​had to be canceled."

The repair facility being used by the Pacific Princess is called San Giorgio Del Porto. That facility tweeted out some pictures of the PP arriving into Genoa this morning. You can see the PP alongside the mooring pier - not in drydock. Of course, that could change.

You can view the tweet and pictures here: https://twitter.com/SGdP_Shipyard

The RO/RO was exiting the drydock today, and now I see that this is the yard that is recycling the Costa Concordia, so the other drydock is most likely filled with the Concordia hull, which would not be transmitting an AIS signal. Since the Moby Aki just left the dock this morning, they will have to pump it out, reset the blocks and refill, so PP most likely won't go into the dock until tomorrow morning. Some of the internal repairs, both cutting out any damaged structure, or renewing/repairing equipment that flooded, can be underway today, and probably was started in Nice, to minimize the amount of time on the blocks.

We were on the Pacific Princess that encountered the problem. We had enjoyed the ship and the food was the best cruise food I've ever had.

They did treat us right by putting us up in Nice and then bus trip to Barcelona and a hotel there. It was a hassle getting packed quickly and we didn't have use of water that day in Nice. They are refunding half our cruise face and giving us future cruise credit. Mainly what we missed was a half day in Barcelona.

We were on the Pacific Princess that encountered the problem. We had enjoyed the ship and the food was the best cruise food I've ever had.

They did treat us right by putting us up in Nice and then bus trip to Barcelona and a hotel there. It was a hassle getting packed quickly and we didn't have use of water that day in Nice. They are refunding half our cruise face and giving us future cruise credit. Mainly what we missed was a half day in Barcelona.

Those of us waiting to board the Pacific over the next 2 1/2 weeks really appreciate the information that you kind people are writing for us! We can only wait and hope for good news to come before we make our flights only to find there is no cruise as some unlucky people did for this current non-cruise.

Received this morning:

We are pleased to advise that Pacific Princess has arrived at the wet dock in Genoa and repair work has begun. We anticipate that all necessary work will be completed on schedule and your voyage will depart from Civitavecchia as planned on Friday, October 28, 2016.

Please be sure to have a valid email address and phone number entered in your Cruise Personalizer at http://www.princess.com. Updates may also be posted to http://www.princess.com/notices.

We very much look forward to welcoming you aboard Pacific Princess.