White Pass Railroad in May

jormot

We are contemplating the Yukon Rail and Bus excursion in mid-May via Chilkoot tours. Are we mostly going to be seeing snow this time of year? We don't want to do a 7.5 hour tour and all we see is a bunch of snow vs the beautiful landscape everyone talks about. Thanks!

It will depend on what kind of winter they have, or if there's a Spring snowstorm........

I recall a few early season trip reports where people were disappointed because when they arrived at Emerald Lake it was still frozen over.

Look at past trip reports to see what others experienced on your travel date. But keep in mind that your experience may or may not be the same.

Edited by mapleleaves

Not sure, your reference, but the "Yukon train" IF meaning the train that goes INTO the Yukon- which is the Lake Bennett train is not running mid May.

I've traveled mid May several times, and always there was some snow. I think your "negative" reference with it having snow, is highly skewed as any time you transit this area is natural beauty. It certainly WILL be beautiful landscape.

Are you against seeing snow covered areas? Don't like snow? A different point- with it then, probably not being a good choice for you, as most likely there will be some snow.

We are contemplating the Yukon Rail and Bus excursion in mid-May via Chilkoot tours. Are we mostly going to be seeing snow this time of year? We don't want to do a 7.5 hour tour and all we see is a bunch of snow vs the beautiful landscape everyone talks about. Thanks!

I have been on the train during a number of May's and there is always snow in the higher elevations into the Yukon. As you descend from the higher elevations the snow disappears. The following were both taken May 2016:

P5190201.jpg

P5030101.jpg

I have booked the same Yukon Rail and Bus excursion next May. Although weather is unpredictable, I am quite confident that your/our tour will not be 100 percent snow, beginning to end.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the 3 and 1/2 hr tour of Train plus bus. It was great and long enough.

The small mini bus picks you up at the pier at 8:30 am and you take about an hour and 1/2 trip up the mountains. It was great to stop at many places for photo ops. It was the perfect amount of time. Then we took the train back, another 1hour or so and it ended in town around noon. The Chilkoot tour company takes care of everything, including train tickets so you just go where they tell you to. We had the train car to ourselves with our small group. It was the 1st week in May 2016 and could not have been lovelier. Have a great time.

We did the 3 and 1/2 hr tour of Train plus bus. It was great and long enough.

The small mini bus picks you up at the pier at 8:30 am and you take about an hour and 1/2 trip up the mountains. It was great to stop at many places for photo ops. It was the perfect amount of time. Then we took the train back, another 1hour or so and it ended in town around noon. The Chilkoot tour company takes care of everything, including train tickets so you just go where they tell you to. We had the train car to ourselves with our small group. It was the 1st week in May 2016 and could not have been lovelier. Have a great time.

Glad to hear you did the bus up/train back as that is what we booked. We were so undecided between that and opposite of train first. Did you feel there was a plus or minus with that? Thank you!