MSC 'Virgins' - Our review of Splendida October 2016. WOW

peteukmcr

I am looking forward to our cruise on this ship in March and have a few questions.

Is it a problem only being an english speaker? I was on the Divina in October and enjoyed all of the other languages, but I think I might feel intimidated on this ship.

The weather will still be a little cool for swimming. Are all of the pools and water slide open or just the indoor pool?

As only being English speakers too, we did not encounter any problems. We had no problem speaking to any member of staff and they were all wonderful.

All the pools were open, including the indoor pool, which due to the weather was well used. Not sure about the water slide, I did see the opening times, but was never around there during those times.

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...
Following. Pete, glad you had a good time, we are looking forward very much to our first experience in Feb. We do not have any drinks packages included in our fare. We are doing a B2B and will do PAYG first cruise and see how we go on.
Hello Pete, thanks for the review and pictures! A few questions- did you use a laptop or IPAD from your room, if so did it work well? Do you recall if there was an electrical outlet close to the bed- from other pictures I have seen of cabins, it looks like the closest outlet is at the desk? Also, how can you be sure(without an upgrade) to get early seating and can you have a choice of kind of table,

E.g., 4-6-8 people? Any comments about the wine list for dinner?

Thanks

Richard

cruiserre

Hello Pete, thanks for the review and pictures! A few questions- did you use a laptop or IPAD from your room, if so did it work well? Do you recall if there was an electrical outlet close to the bed- from other pictures I have seen of cabins, it looks like the closest outlet is at the desk? Also, how can you be sure(without an upgrade) to get early seating and can you have a choice of kind of table,

Thanks

Richard

cruiserre

I am not Pete but was on the Splendida a few weeks ago. The internet worked fine in the room for our iPad. Did not bring a laptop but probably should have for work. It was slow the first night and only able to connect in the main atrium but they fixed it by day 2. Saw folks with laptops throughout the ship.

No plugs by the bed and our Fantastica balcony room. 2 American style outlet and 2 EU style ones.

Not sure what you mean about early seating. Do you have Bella?

We were put in a 6 person table. Asked to change to 2 top after 4 nights due to annoying tablemates.

Did not pay attention to wine list but I think there may be photos somewhere in the forum.

...........................how can you be sure(without an upgrade) to get early seating and can you have a choice of kind of table,

E.g., 4-6-8 people?

Thanks

Richard

cruiserre

You can't be sure but you can request early dining and size of table at booking. On embarkation day there is also the opportunity to meet a deputy maitreD' to request a change if what you've been allocated doesn't suit. Keep in mind that there will be quite a number of requests for 2 tops, there are a limited number available and those who are celebrating a special event ie special birthday, anniversary, honeymoon, etc. will be give priority.

We got a 2 top near the front of the restaurant. But it was better than sitting at a 6 tops with 2 Russian ahem... jack-donkeys 30 something bros who completely ignored us and made no attempts to interact with us with their limited English. We would have tried...

We should have asked to change sooner. Early seating in the lower level on our mid January week was not full at all.

Thanks

Richard

cruiserre

We used iPads and iPhones in the cabin. Internet connection was sometimes a little erratic. Can't remember having outlets near the bed.

Sorry but can't answer your questions on dining as we have second sitting and were allocated at a table for 6. As for wine, we stuck to our preferred white from the list which we could have as we had the premium Allegrissimo package.

Thanks

Richard

cruiserre

I put up the whole wine list used on this cruise on this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2426329&highlight=wine+list

Pete (Skier52 not peteukmcr)

Splendid (no pun intended) review! We're looking to rebook on Splendida maybe in 2018.

Curious if DH had any reaction to no urinals in the men's restrooms. Not a deal breaker for me but, as a retired architect, I found it to be a curious omission in design for a cruise ship or, for that matter, any facility of such a large occupancy.

I'm hopeful that the new class of ships that MSC is launching will have overcome this design oversight.

Otherwise, a beautiful ship and love those contortionists! ;-)

Delighted to have found this thread. We sail in just under 5 weeks time on Splendida our first cruise with MSC so I am very happy to have got so much more detailed info.

The only slight concern I have had is with us being English, I have spoken with people who have been on cruises with non English speaking passengers and they found it a problem. Guess serves us right for being lazy!

I booked a fantastica balcony cabin, requested late sitting dinner with table of 6/8 and brought an allegrissimo drinks package and have spent the last few months looking forward to the cruise.

Last week I found out that our flight from Gatwick has switched terminals (we have a room booked in North and are now flying from South, which is not too much of an issue) our flight times have also changed, all the port in/out times have altered. Also we have been given an upgrade to YC. I have been unable to find out if that means we will not stick to our late seating and table requirements, or if we have to eat in the separate YC dining areas.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

Delighted to have found this thread. We sail in just under 5 weeks time on Splendida our first cruise with MSC so I am very happy to have got so much more detailed info.

The only slight concern I have had is with us being English, I have spoken with people who have been on cruises with non English speaking passengers and they found it a problem. Guess serves us right for being lazy!

I booked a fantastica balcony cabin, requested late sitting dinner with table of 6/8 and brought an allegrissimo drinks package and have spent the last few months looking forward to the cruise.

Last week I found out that our flight from Gatwick has switched terminals (we have a room booked in North and are now flying from South, which is not too much of an issue) our flight times have also changed, all the port in/out times have altered. Also we have been given an upgrade to YC. I have been unable to find out if that means we will not stick to our late seating and table requirements, or if we have to eat in the separate YC dining areas.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

I wouldn't be concerned about being English, we didn't have any issues and our sailing commenced in Hamburg so there were many Germans, Scandinavians and Dutch on board as well as other European nationalities.

As for the change in terminals at Gatwick, there have been some moves by airlines over the past few weeks.

Congrats on the upgrade to YC, but as only having sailed with MSC once, and not in YC, I can't provide any feedback on that, sorry.

.................. we have been given an upgrade to YC. I have been unable to find out if that means we will not stick to our late seating and table requirements, or if we have to eat in the separate YC dining areas.

That is a fantastic upgrade. On embarkation you will be asked to choose a time for dining. Believe me, the YC restaurant is a far superior offering than the regular MDR. Plus there is a small buffet in the YC lounge - known as the Top Sail Lounge - where you can have continental style breakfast and wonderful snacks and canapés throughout the day. Breakfast and lunch is served at YC's One Pool bar, too, if you don't fancy the trek to the YC restaurant which is at the opposite end of the ship to the YC enclave on Splendida, weather permitting.

I've done 14 cruises on MSC and have never had a problem with language. In fact, I've found that people who've learned English like to practise using it. Some of the best passengers I've met have hailed from Netherlands, Germany and Italy.

Despite what I said about those Russian bros, I had not problems with being in the language minorities. We had quite a number of Asian tours (Japanese and either Mainland Chinese or Taiwanese - probably former) on our week. So one day the safety drill announcements were in Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish, before English. All of the staff spoke English well. Our other tablemates were a Korean couple on their honeymoon and the husband spoke English well though not the wife. We had great conversations with them, though they only were at the table on the first gala night - thus leaving us with the Russians the rest of the time.

I am getting on the ship on the 19th in Genoa. I am an english speaker. I know of at least 12-15 english speakers that will be on the boat so we should be ok. We were just on the Divina and my friend got upgraded to the YC. They did not give him any of the benefits of the YC, just the room. I hope you get it all.

I am hoping that the weather is good for us, at least sunshine.

I am getting on the ship on the 19th in Genoa. I am an english speaker. I know of at least 12-15 english speakers that will be on the boat so we should be ok. We were just on the Divina and my friend got upgraded to the YC. They did not give him any of the benefits of the YC, just the room.

Can you expand on this as no-one seems to know how YC benefits are withheld? Was your friend assigned dining in the YC restaurant, have access to the Top Sail Lounge and the One Pool bar? Did drinks have to be paid for in the enclave?

Can you expand on this as no-one seems to know how YC benefits are withheld? Was your friend assigned dining in the YC restaurant, have access to the Top Sail Lounge and the One Pool bar? Did drinks have to be paid for in the enclave?

Thanks for bringing that up, thats EXACTLY what I want to find out.If you have a room in YC how can they stop you using the facilities of YC?

Edited by scareyness
Added text

Thanks for bringing that up, thats EXACTLY what I want to find out.If you have a room in YC how can they stop you using the facilities of YC?

It needs a dedicated thread as this one is getting hi-jacked by this subject - apologies, Pete. Also, this question would have a better chance of getting answers that way.

Hi Pete, great review thanks. As another who is swapping from RCI , please can you advise what you had to pay extra for?; e.g. That pic of the slice of cake and the coffee, included or not?

I have bought a drinks package at £20pd which seems excellent value.

The only thing I would note pre sailing is that their times in port do seem to be very short compared to RCI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ill explain what I know in the March 20 roll call. Id hate to Hijack a 4 month old thread.

I imagine there'll be some interest in this - it'll be lost putting the info into a roll call forum - why not start a new thread in this one? If you post in this thread it's likely to get missed, too, which was what I meant.

The cakes in the Piazza area aren't included in the standard package (£20/day), but they are in the premium package (£36/day). They generally cost €2-3 each

Coffees, including latte / cappuccino etc are included in the £20 package, but for example premium hot chocolates with loads of cream and stuff arent