Live from the Westerdam Oct 18 - 29, 2016

Alberta Quilter

You started a trend - having fellow rollcall members as your dinner table mates. Hope you have as much fun with them as we did with you.

Say "Hi" to your mom from me.

Mom says Hi back to you (and to Jean)! Yes, well, that trend started a couple of years ago when we had another roll call member at the same table for our 14 day Alaska cruise. It is always most enjoyable to share a table with a roll call member! I've been thinking of you as I watch knitters around the ship. There haven't been any knitting get togethers as there were on our cruise. Maybe the next segment.

Do you have access to the therapy pool every day? My friend and I are going in 2 weeks and want in on that.

No, we don't. I did see the pricing for it but can't find it right now; it may have been thrown out. I think it was $199 for a single and $349 for a couple. Couldn't tell you how long that was for, though.

The PG tonight was AMAZING!!! Although, as previously mentioned, DM was very disappointed to hear that there were no Alaska King Crab Legs. She had the halibut instead. I had the petite filet with bearnaise sauce (and a good chunk of DM's halibut!). We are stuffed to the gills again! But we enjoyed it so much, we made reservations for Monday night (Cabo night) so we can, hopefully, get some crab legs.

We tried to get into the show, albeit a little late, but it was SRO. If we can stay up, we'll try to go to the late show. Tonight's entertainment is David Meyer who seems to play the xylophone (Led Zeppelin to Tchaikovsky).

Oh, I tried my hand at Win A Cruise Bingo but didn't win. I'll try again next segment!

Some other notes for those who will be taking later cruises. The library hours are 24/7. There is no librarian anymore. If assistance is required for the internet, one is to go to the front desk. Books are signed out using the form. The jigsaw puzzle table is only one table, right in the midst of the library and, if the library is crowded, then readers use the space to sit and read. I also asked at the Front Desk about not being able to get the internet package for the whole 11 day cruise; they said that they can only do it by segments.

No happy naps for us today! In spite of that, the day flew by. I can't even tell you what we did!

We didn't go to ATK today; it was about salads for dinner (like Cobb and Ceasar salads). We did go to Team Trivia (again at noon); we lost. We also lost at Travel Trivia where we were shown a picture of a Unesco World Heritage Site and we had to identify the site and the City and/or Country where it was. Some were easy, some were not. But one team got 32 out of a possible 33 points.

Some other notes for those who will be taking later cruises. The library hours are 24/7. There is no librarian anymore. If assistance is required for the internet, one is to go to the front desk. Books are signed out using the form.

Ugh!!!

The PG tonight was AMAZING!!! Although, as previously mentioned, DM was very disappointed to hear that there were no Alaska King Crab Legs. She had the halibut instead. I had the petite filet with bearnaise sauce (and a good chunk of DM's halibut!). We are stuffed to the gills again! But we enjoyed it so much, we made reservations for Monday night (Cabo night) so we can, hopefully, get some crab legs.

We tried to get into the show, albeit a little late, but it was SRO. If we can stay up, we'll try to go to the late show. Tonight's entertainment is David Meyer who seems to play the xylophone (Led Zeppelin to Tchaikovsky).

Oh, I tried my hand at Win A Cruise Bingo but didn't win. I'll try again next segment!

Some other notes for those who will be taking later cruises. The library hours are 24/7. There is no librarian anymore. If assistance is required for the internet, one is to go to the front desk. Books are signed out using the form. The jigsaw puzzle table is only one table, right in the midst of the library and, if the library is crowded, then readers use the space to sit and read. I also asked at the Front Desk about not being able to get the internet package for the whole 11 day cruise; they said that they can only do it by segments.

No happy naps for us today! In spite of that, the day flew by. I can't even tell you what we did!

We didn't go to ATK today; it was about salads for dinner (like Cobb and Ceasar salads). We did go to Team Trivia (again at noon); we lost. We also lost at Travel Trivia where we were shown a picture of a Unesco World Heritage Site and we had to identify the site and the City and/or Country where it was. Some were easy, some were not. But one team got 32 out of a possible 33 points.

I also had the Halibut- WONDERFUL!! The PG has an absolutely amazing staff on Westerdam now!

Sleep tight :D:rolleyes:

The double UGH was for the General Alarm at about 11:30 last night.

Evidently an A/C motor in the Queen's Lounge overheated and was smoking. Boy howdy that speaker in the headboard is plenty loud especially when asleep.

Got back to sleep after Captain Mark assured us all was fine. At least it wasn't 4am like last time. Also lights didn't come on this time. Didn't want to post anything during the alarm as family members may read CC and didn't want to alarm anyone unnecessarily.

We are fine and happy and Westerdam is her glorious self and ready to collect the rest of our friends in San Diego tomorrow.

It's a beautiful day in Santa Barbara! 24C or 73F according to the TV map.

We are taking the trolley tour this morning and then touring about on our own. We may try the short steep climb to the view point that OlsSalt recommended (that is if DM can do it).

Will report later on how we did. I am so looking forward to this port visit!

Oh, and on the librarian, today's On Location shows the hours as 8 am to 10 pm, not 24 hours like yesterday's did. And Frank reported on the excitement during the night. DM thought I slept right through it but I just listened and dozed in between announcements. It was handled well, I thought. I went right back to sleep afterwards.

The double UGH was for the General Alarm at about 11:30 last night.

Evidently an A/C motor in the Queen's Lounge overheated and was smoking. Boy howdy that speaker in the headboard is plenty loud especially when asleep.

Got back to sleep after Captain Mark assured us all was fine. At least it wasn't 4am like last time. Also lights didn't come on this time. Didn't want to post anything during the alarm as family members may read CC and didn't want to alarm anyone unnecessarily.

We are fine and happy and Westerdam is her glorious self and ready to collect the rest of our friends in San Diego tomorrow.

Glad it was only a motor that overheated and nothing more serious and everyone was safe.

Well, we're back from visiting SB. It was a most enjoyable morning. We first did the trolley tour which gave us a wonderful overview of Santa Barbara and went into Montecito a wee bit. We went to the mission and drove by the court house. This trolley tour was not a HOHO; our only stop was at the mission where we could get out, and visit the gift shop or washroom. There was a funeral this morning at the mission so no one could tour the mission itself. We only had about 15 minutes there anyway so I doubt we could have seen much in that time.

Afterwards, we stopped by the SB tourist information right by the tender pier. They told us how to get to the SB Courthouse; the electric tram/trolley was right there to pick up passengers and cost only $0.25/person! WE took that up State Street and got off a block away from the Courthouse. Well, that is something to see. It's still a working courthouse but you'd barely know it from the tourists and bridal parties!! There were at least 3 bridal parties, either having pictures taken or having the actual ceremony there. One was up at the top of the clock tower. It looked like the bride, groom, officiant and the photographer. When it was over, all the tourists cheered! Other than the cheering, everyone was respectful of the ceremony and did not intrude (other than just by being there). What was unexpected, at least for us, is that the elevator went right to the look out at the top of the clock tower so DM could come up and see the view. We thought that she would have to wait down below for me to climb the tower. That was great that she could enjoy it too. We walked down from there, thinking that there was something to see on every floor. On the 4th floor there was the actual clock mechanism. We spoke with the docent there and she advised that the bells in the room were made of styrofoam! When I asked where the music came from (the clock was ringing 11 am when we arrived), she told us it was taped! I believe she said that the tower or the clock was built during the depression so they didn't have enough money to set the bells up until about six years ago. So they went with replica bells and taped chimes.

On the second floor of the courthouse, there was the mural room which was interesting to see. AFter that, we toured the gardens surrounding the courthouse. That's where the other two bridal parties were (and it looked like there was a set up for another wedding).

AFter the courthouse, we walked down State Street. DM saw a store she wanted to look into so we poked into that and some other shops. We tried to go to the Reagan Ranch Centre but it was locked up (even though the signage indicated we were there during open hours). We gave up and continued to walk towards the ocean. By this point, we were dehydrated, a little hungry and DM's feet hurt. DM saw the electric shuttle coming and we managed to get on that. For $0.25/person, it was a cheap and easy way to get to the tender pier.

We were back on the ship by 1:30 and had a quick lunch in the Lido.

Tonight is a gala night. They weren't supposed to have one, and, frankly, I'm surprised they're having one on the last night of the four day segment. But I guess they changed their minds.

For future cruisers, we sent our our laundry last night and it was in our cabin when we came back at 1:30 - less than 24 hours.

Can't wait to meet you all tomorrow! Hopefully, I'll even meet Frank!! I'll be the one wearing the lei. (Not sure if I can convince DM to wear one.)

Well, we're back from visiting SB. It was a most enjoyable morning. We first did the trolley tour which gave us a wonderful overview of Santa Barbara and went into Montecito a wee bit. We went to the mission and drove by the court house. This trolley tour was not a HOHO; our only stop was at the mission where we could get out, and visit the gift shop or washroom. There was a funeral this morning at the mission so no one could tour the mission itself. We only had about 15 minutes there anyway so I doubt we could have seen much in that time.

Afterwards, we stopped by the SB tourist information right by the tender pier. They told us how to get to the SB Courthouse; the electric tram/trolley was right there to pick up passengers and cost only $0.25/person! WE took that up State Street and got off a block away from the Courthouse. Well, that is something to see. It's still a working courthouse but you'd barely know it from the tourists and bridal parties!! There were at least 3 bridal parties, either having pictures taken or having the actual ceremony there. One was up at the top of the clock tower. It looked like the bride, groom, officiant and the photographer. When it was over, all the tourists cheered! Other than the cheering, everyone was respectful of the ceremony and did not intrude (other than just by being there). What was unexpected, at least for us, is that the elevator went right to the look out at the top of the clock tower so DM could come up and see the view. We thought that she would have to wait down below for me to climb the tower. That was great that she could enjoy it too. We walked down from there, thinking that there was something to see on every floor. On the 4th floor there was the actual clock mechanism. We spoke with the docent there and she advised that the bells in the room were made of styrofoam! When I asked where the music came from (the clock was ringing 11 am when we arrived), she told us it was taped! I believe she said that the tower or the clock was built during the depression so they didn't have enough money to set the bells up until about six years ago. So they went with replica bells and taped chimes.

On the second floor of the courthouse, there was the mural room which was interesting to see. AFter that, we toured the gardens surrounding the courthouse. That's where the other two bridal parties were (and it looked like there was a set up for another wedding).

AFter the courthouse, we walked down State Street. DM saw a store she wanted to look into so we poked into that and some other shops. We tried to go to the Reagan Ranch Centre but it was locked up (even though the signage indicated we were there during open hours). We gave up and continued to walk towards the ocean. By this point, we were dehydrated, a little hungry and DM's feet hurt. DM saw the electric shuttle coming and we managed to get on that. For $0.25/person, it was a cheap and easy way to get to the tender pier.

We were back on the ship by 1:30 and had a quick lunch in the Lido.

Tonight is a gala night. They weren't supposed to have one, and, frankly, I'm surprised they're having one on the last night of the four day segment. But I guess they changed their minds.

For future cruisers, we sent our our laundry last night and it was in our cabin when we came back at 1:30 - less than 24 hours.

Can't wait to meet you all tomorrow! Hopefully, I'll even meet Frank!! I'll be the one wearing the lei. (Not sure if I can convince DM to wear one.)

Hi AQ, thanks for sharing your day in SB. Sounds lovely. Really appreciate the tip on laundry. Did you use the "Fill the Bag" option? Thanks.

You haven't met Frank yet? Wonder where he's been hiding.

C.

See ya tomorrow!

Edited by Chelly

Hi AQ, thanks for sharing your day in SB. Sounds lovely. Really appreciate the tip on laundry. Did you use the "Fill the Bag" option? Thanks.

You haven't met Frank yet? Wonder where he's been hiding.

C.

See ya tomorrow!

No, we don't need to fill the laundry bag; we're 4 star so we get free laundry! That is the best perk!!! If you don't have free laundry, then the cost of the unlimited laundry for the 7 day cruise is $49. By the bag is $20.

No, we don't need to fill the laundry bag; we're 4 star so we get free laundry! That is the best perk!!! If you don't have free laundry, then the cost of the unlimited laundry for the 7 day cruise is $49. By the bag is $20.

Thanks again AQ. I'm still a lowly three-star. $20 for laundry is a good deal. You can pack a lot into those bags.