Live from the Westerdam Oct 18 - 29, 2016

Alberta Quilter

AQ-I think our mariner lunch invite is for tomorrow-if it's today we missed it as we are at the pool.

You're right, we did sleep in & after breakfast just stayed at the pool.

Loved the ventriloquist last night-him & Matilda are a hoot. We've seen them once before & enjoyed their act then.

Hope everyone is having fun on the first of 2 sea days!

AQ-I think our mariner lunch invite is for tomorrow-if it's today we missed it as we are at the pool.

You're right, we did sleep in & after breakfast just stayed at the pool.

Loved the ventriloquist last night-him & Matilda are a hoot. We've seen them once before & enjoyed their act then.

Hope everyone is having fun on the first of 2 sea days!

There are two Mariner Brunches today was for Four and Five Star, Tom and I did not go, tomorrow is 1, 2, and 3 Star.

I slept in then had a fairly quick Lido breakfast, then went to the spa, then came back to the cabin.

Going to shower and get presentable for the day[emoji6] will try to find you a bit later cb [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deck 5 aft correspondent here :)

Great Le Cirque dinner last night followed by a drink in the Pinnacle Lounge. Slept in this morning so grabbed a light breakfast in Lido. Today is Indonesian in the Lido Asian asea so that will definitely be lunch for me!

My overall plusses and minuses from the last 11 days:

PERFECTION:

Great cabin Steward Riza- on top of everything and always smiling and helpful.

Can't say enough positive things about the PG. Manager Gabor, Chefs, Servers, Wine Stewards, and food all off the charts- overall the best PG we have been in. Our server team Chris and Julie were the highlight of every day- treated us so well. Again we were reminded every day why we choose to dine in PG every night. Breakfast was wonderful with great service.

Ship is in great shape- can't wait to see the changes next year after drydock.

Bar staff is great. Pinnacle Lounge (our favorite spot) has been great with our server Leo. Seaview bar server M.A.T and bartender William are both warm and professional.

Thermal Suite and pool great as always. Will be nice after drydock as the fabric in the overhead skylight is looking pretty sad and stained

LESS THAN PERFECT:

San Diego port day.When trying to re-board terminal staff was very rude and walked us all over the terminal trying to figure out if we were allowed to get back on the ship. We were told on board that we could come and go as we please (no in transit cards)- just a normal port day. Also we were told that we could stay aboard if we choose. Once we finally scanned back on we were stopped by a Security person and told we'd have to go back ashore as the ship had not zeroed out yet -we asked to see the SO and he let us on. Very unpleasant morning.

Neptune staff apparently forgot about at least the deck 5 aft suites. Friends we met on deck 7 told us about any invitations or notices they received in their NS. Same on first Gala night- no flowers at least on our deck. Our only Concierge request was to meet with FCC and we were told she wasn't accepting appointments. We called our PCC in Seattle and booked our next cruise. The next morning Concierge said that the FCC could fit us in- told her we called Seattle so don't bother.

NEITHER PLUS OR MINUS:

One of the officers stopped me mid day Tuesday and asked if I had a list of the CC group on board. She said that they wanted it to invite the group to an officers reception to learn about the upcoming drydock. I told her other than Lisa I really only know CC nicknames but a list was on our roll call. Evidently several got invites to the reception last night but we didn't see anything. Was actually OK as we were at Le Cirque but got a laugh as I was the one they asked. Loren thought possibly another case of the forgotten deck 5 aft wrap suites.

We booked on the 16 October Trans Atlantic on Westerdam next year. Chose one of the SB suites on deck 6. Hopefully the Concierge team will remember the suites there :D

Edited by frankc98376

Thanks for the clarification Lisa-figured that was the case dividing the 1-3 star Mariners with the 4&5. I know we are 3 but not sure if close to 4 or not yet.

We are aft pool non-smoking shade area. Had to get out of the pool because they will be starting the water volleyball shortly and I don't want to drown!

Marcia-did you get your 4 star today?

Thanks for the clarification Lisa-figured that was the case dividing the 1-3 star Mariners with the 4&5. I know we are 3 but not sure if close to 4 or not yet.

We are aft pool non-smoking shade area. Had to get out of the pool because they will be starting the water volleyball shortly and I don't want to drown!

Marcia-did you get your 4 star today?

Hi CB Sher and I were down at the Future Cruise desk booking a cruise for February 2018, quite the line, lots of people booking cruises.

We were invited to the Mariner Brunch only today, no pre cocktail party or award ceremony. So for the first time ever we skipped the Mariner Brunch. We also did not make the VIP party last night because we were in Le Cirque.

This cruise does have a lot of 4 and 5 star Mariners on board. I think all the West Coast Hal Mariners were all waiting for a Vista Class to come back to do the Mexico run[emoji1303]

We will have Oosterdam returning in 2018 which is what I booked today[emoji6][emoji568]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DM went to the Mariner lunch; I didn't care for the menu. I believe there was mahi mahi, beef and chile rellenos. DM had the beef (and she was able to get a beer instead of the sparkling wine). What she did not get was our tiles; she said there weren't any so I'll be interested in reports from others to see if they got their tiles.

I had a lovely salad in the Lido. I didn't realize until this cruise that they have two different size of the new salad bowls. They seem to use the the large ones more often; I had previously only seen the smaller, half bowls. I sat with Dobiemom and Momma for a few minutes to catch up; we hadn't really seen one another (other than in passing) since Embarkation Day.

DM and I met again at Team Trivia; we lost yet again. Good thing we won once, otherwise we might get a complex!

This afternoon was quite leisurely; DM spent time reading in the cabin & I spent some time at the puzzle table. We hit happy hour to get more beer for DM.

It's the last gala night tonight; surf and turf is on the menu. DM will be having her usual surf and surf!

Sorry for your unpleasant experience in San Diego. I recall the conversation on the radio as to when you could re-board. I was confused, because I had already heard that "in transits" were welcome to re-board.

Apparently that message regarding your party was corrupted along the way, I don't know why.

Of course, we did not have CBP on Saturday, as your ship had cleared previously.

It should have been a regular port call day!

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

Sorry for your unpleasant experience in San Diego. I recall the conversation on the radio as to when you could re-board. I was confused, because I had already heard that "in transits" were welcome to re-board.

Apparently that message regarding your party was corrupted along the way, I don't know why.

Of course, we did not have CBP on Saturday, as your ship had cleared previously.

It should have been a regular port call day!

David

We did not have any issues reboarding in San Diego. As far as I heard, Frank and Loren were the only ones who did.

Surf & turf night in the MDR! We had dinner at 7:30 at a table for just the two of us. The filet mignon was very tender & the lobster delicious. The whole experience was wonderful. Prior to dinner I enjoyed the flaming special coffee made right in front of me.

We attended to 10 pm show which was Kermet Apio & then Jesse Kazrmek. Both were great. After that off to the BB Kings lounge to enjoy more drinks. With all the OBC we had I've done a very good job of drinking, I mean, spending it :D

I must say this cruise has been a wonderful relaxing time. My husband & I have had no problems to speak of.

Oh-as we wandered back to our cabin on deck 6 I noticed new breakfast menus hanging on doors. We got back to our cabin but don't have one which is fine with me.

We did not have any issues reboarding in San Diego. As far as I heard, Frank and Loren were the only ones who did.

May have been because we were off the ship just before 8am, did our shopping and were back about 10am. I think the terminal received conflicting orders from some one. the Concierge let us know a bit later that it had been straightened out.

May have been because we were off the ship just before 8am, did our shopping and were back about 10am. I think the terminal received conflicting orders from some one. the Concierge let us know a bit later that it had been straightened out.

Oh, that makes sense. I think we got off around 9 am and returned about 11:30/12:00.

Everyone at our table enjoyed a version of surf and turf or another, last night. Two had surf and surf, one had turf and turf, one had surf, surf and turf, and I had veal with a lobster tail. We were all stuffed by the time we left the table.

We went back to our room and changed into more comfortable clothing that accommodated the expanded waistlines. We skipped the show (which was a variety show with the comedian and the guy who did the Beatles tribute) and went to the library (DM to read and me to work on the puzzle).

Today we have lunch in the PG. Tonight's menu in the MDR is not great in our opinion. Everyone at the table last night struggled to make a choice once we were given tonight's menu (one of us requires the menu in advance for dietary restrictions). Honestly, I'd rather have the old International Dinner than some of the creations from the Culinary Council chefs. At least, I could find something to enjoy from the International Dinner than I could from this menu.

I did some packing this morning so feel good about that. I just have to throw my packing folders into the suitcase later tonight and I'm done! Should be really easy. DM did some serious damage into our beverage card that we received under the Anniversary Sale; there's enough for one more drink. Our onboard credit is almost gone. This morning, when checking our account online, I noticed that we each received a credit for port fees and taxes so we may actually end up with a credit balance instead of the usual debit. That would be nice for a change!

Nice breakfast in PG this morning- was very busy today.

Looked down at the Front Office on our way out of the PG and the line was already long for the usual last day "remove the service charges" crowd. Makes me sad every time I see it.

Hoping everyone shows for on board Immigration check tomorrow morning and disembark is smooth.

Nice breakfast in PG this morning- was very busy today.

Looked down at the Front Office on our way out of the PG and the line was already long for the usual last day "remove the service charges" crowd. Makes me sad every time I see it.

Hoping everyone shows for on board Immigration check tomorrow morning and disembark is smooth.

Don't jump to conclusions! We were at the front desk (not busy when we were there) because for about the 6th time I've tried to tell them we owe money & I am now giving up. They keep sending emails to night audit about it but I'm now tired of wasting MY time being honest. We actually have enough OBC to cover it all but they keep insisting we have a package to cover the Pinnacle charges & I keep telling them we didn't buy a package.:confused:

Otherwise we've had a wonderful, relaxing & much enjoyed cruise. Trying to talk hubby into doing this again in January or February!

Don't jump to conclusions! We were at the front desk (not busy when we were there) because for about the 6th time I've tried to tell them we owe money & I am now giving up. They keep sending emails to night audit about it but I'm now tired of wasting MY time being honest. We actually have enough OBC to cover it all but they keep insisting we have a package to cover the Pinnacle charges & I keep telling them we didn't buy a package.:confused:

Otherwise we've had a wonderful, relaxing & much enjoyed cruise. Trying to talk hubby into doing this again in January or February!

I'm sure many are there for legit reasons. I just have seen the lines and heard the stories from staff about many people coming to the desk to remove the charges on the last day and evening. I really wish they would just include it in the fare like some do.

Our promo for the cruise included a PG dinner and a Canaletto dinner as well as a great OBC- perhaps it was on your booking. Since we prepaid for every night they credited one back for the booking promo.

Edited by frankc98376

I'm sure many are there for legit reasons. I just have seen the lines and heard the stories from staff about many people coming to the desk to remove the charges on the last day and evening. I really wish they would just include it in the fare like some do.

Our promo for the cruise included a PG dinner and a Canaletto dinner as well as a great OBC- perhaps it was on your booking. Since we prepaid for every night they credited one back for the booking promo.

I don't think people should be allowed to remove the charges unless something really really bad happened. The staff work their butts off.

You may be right Frank-we are at the PG tonight and will check with Gabor. It's been frustrating but not enough to spoil anything.

We had a wonderful lunch in the PG. My blue cheese crusted filet was sublime, melt in your mouth delicious. DM had a salad with chicken. Then she indulged in dessert with a coconut trifle that she found really tasty. I did get to sample hers. I'm not so fond of coconut so got the chocolatey moussy part; that was really good.

Afterwards, we made it to the Captain's Q&A. We missed his presentation on the virtual journey of the nautical operations but were there in time for the Q&A. There were no complaints; there were even some thank yous.

I went up to the library where I completed the puzzle that we had been working on. Someone started that first puzzle again, the one that I didn't like and was going to take down but someone else beat me to it! I don't think I'll help with that one.

Then I went down to the Vista Lounge for the last bingo game. I sat with Dobiemom and Momma which was nice. And I won one of the bingo games! Here we've been fussing about spending all of our onboard credit and now I've won more credit! What a nice problem to have, eh?! We'll just let it go onto my credit card and will use it to fund our post cruise stay in California.

Maybe roll call member BookitEd is my lucky charm as they were playing Bingo when I won the cruise a couple of years ago and they were playing again today. I'm trying to convince them to book our next scheduled cruise!

I don't think people should be allowed to remove the charges unless something really really bad happened. The staff work their butts off.

You may be right Frank-we are at the PG tonight and will check with Gabor. It's been frustrating but not enough to spoil anything.

We'll be at table 27 at 7:30 :)

We will board the Westerdam on Nov 5 and have been reading all the posts here. I hope someone will come back and tell us if there is luggage direct from the ship to their home airport. I fell and injured my hand and am most interested in anything that can make life easier. Our running joke is that my husband will have to cut my meat for me.

We had a lovely romantic dinner at the Pinnacle tonight. We requested a table in the section with our 2 favorite servers again. Gabor & Deedee finally sorted out the issue with our account so all is well again. Being honest is work but I'm glad we were. My husband had the crab legs & I had the halibut. Both delicious. Wine with dinner & then a special coffee with dessert, yum.

We saw the other CC'ers (8 at the table I think) and chatted a few seconds but missed Frank & Loren-sorry.

Like AQ we managed very well to get through all the OBC we had from the anniversary sale.

Safe travels home everyone. We are spending 2 nights in San Diego first then off to rainy Vancouver!