Live from the Westerdam Oct 18 - 29, 2016

Alberta Quilter

There was also an On Location team consisting of a singer, a couple of dancers, and a speaker who did some presentations on Mexico. They did some performances at noon on the sea days at the Lido pool. There were also language lessons and craft classes, similar to what we experienced on our Hawaii cruise earlier this year.

My On Locations are packed for our flight home this evening but I'll pull them out in the next few days to look at the details for those of you doing this itinerary. I spoke with two of the dancers and they advised me that they would be onboard until January. I'm assuming that another team would be boarding to replace them.

There was also an On Location team consisting of a singer, a couple of dancers, and a speaker who did some presentations on Mexico. They did some performances at noon on the sea days at the Lido pool. There were also language lessons and craft classes, similar to what we experienced on our Hawaii cruise earlier this year.

My On Locations are packed for our flight home this evening but I'll pull them out in the next few days to look at the details for those of you doing this itinerary. I spoke with two of the dancers and they advised me that they would be onboard until January. I'm assuming that another team would be boarding to replace them.

That would be great, thanks!

###

I sent a .pdf of the On Locations to the HAL FACTual site for posting this morning but they're not posted yet, as far as I can tell.

Here are the details of the Mexican On Location events:

There was a Sailaway in San Diego with live music from the Mexican On Location team.

On the first sea day there was a craft class, a folkloric performance, and language class and a dance class.

On the morning of Cabo. there was another language class and a Mexican BBQ from 5:30 to 8 pm.

There were scenic sailaways from Mazatlan and PV but nothing specific to Mexico or with the Mexico On Location team.

On the second sea day, there was a craft class, a presentation on the history of Mexico, and folkloric performance, language class and a dance class.

On the last sea day, there was another craft class, folkloric performance and dance class. There was also a game Loteria (their version of Bingo).

Hope that helps!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

AlbertaQuilter and others have done a terrific job of capturing what this cruise was like - many thanks for all of your posts!

We enjoyed meeting some of those from the roll call onboard and having Frank and Loren as neighbors was great. These CC connections really add to the onboard experience as well as the planning.

Being back on a Vista Class ship was good and confirmed that this is a much better fit for us than the new K'dam. And, as always on HAL, the crew was wonderful and the food was excellent (we particularly enjoyed having some Mexican options since we were sailing there).

A good experience all around.

I went around and around with HAL a few months ago regarding luggage direct.

When you go to the website to sign up it shows San Diego as available but only with American Airlines. I emailed and was told that all major airlines were available. Called the number on the email and was then told no service available in San Diego for Mexico cruises but HAL had service available for Los Angeles departing cruises (uh, there are none). They told me to call HAL and request it for San Diego.

I called HAL and was told I needed to call the luggage forwarding company to get it setup. I gave up after the second time being sent back and forth. We schlepped our heavy luggage to the taxi and then into the airport. Worked out OK though as one bag ended up being 55 pounds and we had to re-arrange stuff into other bags to cut weight.

Edited by frankc98376

A great big thank you for the wonderful information all of you posted!! Just as an aside, I was assured luggage direct was available in Fort Lauderdale. But not for my Panama Canal trip. Had to schlep my 90 year old parents' luggage as well as mine, while maneuvering a wheel chair as well.

Excited to be boarding Westerdam Saturday, especially after following your "live from"

Little late but found this in my luggage if anyone reads this thread going on the same cruise-prices we were given for internet.

90cd6943096ed4c33f39b98387bda89b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This really was great.....I just do not understand why this is only offered on the Westerdam and has not gone Fleet Wide. Makes no sense. T his is at least somewhat competitive with other cruise lines. BTW I bought the medium plan and was able to broadcast on Facebook Live the BB King performance for almost 20 minutes. It buffered some but not too bad. If i had bought the other plan it may have been better or who knows maybe not :D

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

This really was great.....I just do not understand why this is only offered on the Westerdam and has not gone Fleet Wide. Makes no sense. T his is at least somewhat competitive with other cruise lines. BTW I bought the medium plan and was able to broadcast on Facebook Live the BB King performance for almost 20 minutes. It buffered some but not too bad. If i had bought the other plan it may have been better or who knows maybe not :D

So true-HAL needs to get up to speed & offer it fleet wide for those that want it. I loved being able to keep in touch with family while away.

We ended up getting the BB King CD (it was offered free with 2 drinks, how could I resist!!).

Just looked at my Mariner status on HAL website and this cruise was already posted. I had 11 nights for the cruise, 11 nights for suite, and 11 nights for onboard spend.

All in all I'd say that means it was a WONDERFUL cruise! :D

That's nice.

I cruise solo in a balcony cabin and pay the price of two people/cabin - 200%.

Yet for Mariner status points, HAL credits me for one person. It is their policy and I've always considered it unfair.:(

Celebrity and Princess grants double credits to solo cruisers who are stuck paying double. Thus, my loyalty status advances faster.:D

Just looked at my Mariner status on HAL website and this cruise was already posted. I had 11 nights for the cruise, 11 nights for suite, and 11 nights for onboard spend.

All in all I'd say that means it was a WONDERFUL cruise! :D

Wow, 11 days for the onboard spend! Did you buy something at the jewelry shop?

Actually the cruise day credits were on our account last weekend; I noticed them while we were still in California. Not sure how we managed to get as many onboard spend credits as we did. Between all the OBC and Anniversary Sale perks, we had about $1000 which should have garnered us 3 or 4 credits. We got 5 credits. And, with my Bingo win, we walked off the ship with a credit invoice! I've never had that happen before!

And Chelly, I agree, solos should get double credits if they pay double. If they pay 150% they should get 150% of the credits and so on.

Wow, 11 days for the onboard spend! Did you buy something at the jewelry shop?

Actually the cruise day credits were on our account last weekend; I noticed them while we were still in California. Not sure how we managed to get as many onboard spend credits as we did. Between all the OBC and Anniversary Sale perks, we had about $1000 which should have garnered us 3 or 4 credits. We got 5 credits. And, with my Bingo win, we walked off the ship with a credit invoice! I've never had that happen before!

And Chelly, I agree, solos should get double credits if they pay double. If they pay 150% they should get 150% of the credits and so on.

No jewelry. Some spa, great wine, 11 nights in PG, more great wine, a shore excursion, and some more great wine :). With the Anniversary perks we came out pretty good in the end.

Edited by frankc98376

No jewelry. Some spa, great wine, 11 nights in PG, more great wine, a shore excursion, and some more great wine :). With the Anniversary perks we came out pretty good in the end.

We had trouble using up all the OBC from the anniversary sale as my husband doesn't drink at all. BUT...with excursions, Pinnacle dinners, duty free & a few drinks for me we managed to use it and owe under $15 at the end! Pretty happy with that. Haven't checked mariner status yet. Did phone them about the tiles though.

We had trouble using up all the OBC from the anniversary sale as my husband doesn't drink at all. BUT...with excursions, Pinnacle dinners, duty free & a few drinks for me we managed to use it and owe under $15 at the end! Pretty happy with that. Haven't checked mariner status yet. Did phone them about the tiles though.

About the tiles - we got a card in our mailbox onboard that the tiles would be mailed to us by the Mariner Society. Did you not get the same card? It looked like many in our hallway got it (not that I checked, of course!).