Live from the Westerdam Oct 18 - 29, 2016

Alberta Quilter

For us this time Customs was a breeze. They were on the ship quickly and the officer in the Vista was obviously a morning person & perfect for the job of organizing & calling us down by rows. Hopefully for everyone else it will be smooth & quick too.

We are all ready and waiting for our deck number to be called to meet with the CBP agents. I actually don't want to leave, but we must. At least we still have a couple of days in California post cruise so the vacation is not over yet.

We had a wonderful room service breakfast this morning. Still had the old menu. We even ordered off the MDR breakfast menu as DM has found a new favourite with the Greenhouse Spa Vegetable Frittata (it arrived a few minutes after the main order). We decided to go with room service because of the timing concerns in being done with breakfast in the MDR prior to meeting with the CBP agents.

Wow- what a wonderful cruise!!!

Was great meeting many of our CC friends and sharing the cruise. Many new friends made on this one!

Huge thank you to Mark Pells and his amazing Westerdam crew!

Everyone have a safe trip home and we will see you on another blue hull beauty.

Sitting in our stateroom looking at a stripped bed (we told them to get started and ignore us) waiting for the stragglers to show at Immigration.

They just announced that failure to appear can result in a $15,000 fine. Pelase people show up so we can disembark!

We made it through CBP but I have a pretty good idea why some people are late in getting checked through. We had the TV on in our room to listen to the announcements; they never came through the TV. I later found out that the announcements were only in the hallways/public areas. We finally heard one announcement that requested ALL non US pax to go to the Vista Lounge. Off we went and sat with MANY other people.

It took about twenty minutes for us because of the number of people to be seen. They had about 8 officers so once your row number was called, it was fairly short and sweet. It was well organized. One officer who called each row number and guided people to the agents was very good and humourous.

AFterwards, we came back to our room and cleared out so the stewards could get the room ready for the next pax. We are currently sitting in the library. They've made one announcement naming people to go to the Vista Lounge. Hopefully, they've all gone by now and disembarkation can proceed.

Good Morning from San Diego, sadly another Hal cruise has come to an end. This cruise has confirmed two things one we really prefer the Vista Class Ships and two having a Good Hotel Manager that the Crew Love can make for a good cruise.

We had a fun night in the Pinnacle last night with lots of laughs with 8 of us

b8f1e8346b7cea5d7dce556bee0c9f93.jpg

We have a fairly early flight at 11:45 and arrive in Las Vegas at about 12:45 we should be home an unpacked by 2:30.

Thanks to Alberta Quilter for letting me post here.

Thanks to Mark Pells and the Crew of the Westerdam.

This has been a fun bunch of Ccers[emoji2][emoji1303][emoji925][emoji924]

Still onboard. Now by the lido pool. We were subjected to a Spanish speaking gentleman in the Library, talking on his cell phone on SPEAKER! Finally, DM went over and put her finger to her lips. He had no clue how loud he was and how disturbing it was to others. His companion didn't seem to notice or care. Thankfully, they left shortly afterward. No word of apology or anything; I really don't think they realized the disturbance he made.

It's a beautiful day in San Diego.

Safe travels to all! I'll try to do a final wrap up later. We're driving to the desert today for a couple of days before heading home.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Lisa-we watched that photo being taken from our cozy booth! Was nice to visit with you at the pool & have a safe trip home.

AQ-glad you started the thread and didn't mind us all chiming in. I love reading threads like this. Nice meeting you & Mom. Also Marcia & Mom.

Our disembarkation went so smoothly today-very happy with it all after reading horror stories. Our hotel van picked us up within 10 minutes of phoning & are now sitting by the pool. Two more relaxing days then back to reality & probably rain in Vancouver.

Until next time! :)

We made it through CBP but I have a pretty good idea why some people are late in getting checked through. We had the TV on in our room to listen to the announcements; they never came through the TV. I later found out that the announcements were only in the hallways/public areas. We finally heard one announcement that requested ALL non US pax to go to the Vista Lounge. Off we went and sat with MANY other people.

It took about twenty minutes for us because of the number of people to be seen. They had about 8 officers so once your row number was called, it was fairly short and sweet. It was well organized. One officer who called each row number and guided people to the agents was very good and humourous.

AFterwards, we came back to our room and cleared out so the stewards could get the room ready for the next pax. We are currently sitting in the library. They've made one announcement naming people to go to the Vista Lounge. Hopefully, they've all gone by now and disembarkation can proceed.

I enjoyed your "Live From," Alberta Quilter...thank you for doing it! We will be on the Westerdam 2 weeks from today, the 12th...coming up fast! There is still a lot of availability on our sailing. We have an SS guarantee, waiting to see where we will be. Looking forward to getting away to Mexico for the 9th time. :)

Karen

Your pictures are beautiful canadianbear. Makes me want to go to las caletas. Leaving on westerdam in a week

It was worth it as long as you are fairly mobile. There is some walking uphill to get snorkel equipment, use their lockers or washrooms & a lot is on rocks. We didn't know until we got there that you can also pay to do other activities-we will go back!

Glad my photos worked.

I was late in finding your great report and fine additions by fellow cruisers.

You and your mum do make the most of ship life in spite of back spasms and dental challenges.

I'll read your report of 'our' cruise with interest if only to find out what adventures you've had while we dull ones read and Bob works on writing projects.

Ruth

Wonderful cruise, great meeting fellow CCers. :) Seven days is too short... I tried to do the 4-day from Vancouver with y'all but couldn't find anyone to do it with me.

Good stuff:

Food was great. We had open seating but twice we were taken upstairs. Ate in the Pinnacle Grill twice and Le Cirque. And the Dive-In twice for lunch. (Don't want to get on a scale.)

Loved the Thermal Suite Pass. Shared this with another CCer so it was $124.50 each for the 7-days. The first 2 days I could not get a lounger but it was not problem the rest of the time. Oh, and they had two sugar scrubs (with loofa mitts) you could use (but taken away the last day).

I had a “Cleopatra Treatment.” The special was for embarkation day and Sunday ($149 vs $265), but I asked the spa manager if I could have the special price on Thursday and she said “yes.” So it doesn’t hurt to ask. (Bad thing was that they would only give me 8am. Good thing was we got an extra hour of sleep that morning!)

Shows:

Did not see any production shows. Matilda (and Patrick Murray) was great! As was Jesse Kazemek (Beatles tribute). I wish I had seen Kermet Apio's whole show but I did see him and Jesse Kazemek together later.

Just FYI (did not affect our enjoyment):

No toilet-flushing issues in our cabin, only one public toilet didn't flush right away (but worked after three pushes of the button).

Some venues around the ship had temperature issues? I mean it would be warm (almost stuffy) one minute and then cold (and I'm always warm) and then warm again. Including our cabin. And the fan in our cabin never shut off.

We had FOUR time changes (two forward and two back) this cruise. I’ve sailed several 7-day MR cruises and as Laffnvegas has reported, we’ve always been on ship time in PV and not moved our clocks forward.

We were on Deck 7 had the “old” breakfast room service door hanger menu the entire cruise.

Ports:

Cabo San Lucas - We ate at the Eco Bar (located on the marina in front of Wyndham Hotel) with others in "our" group. Mom and I took a pedicab ($6 each) there but we walked back to the ship. We shared the fish tacos lunch plate and guacamole. Yum!

Mazatlan - I walked the "Blue Line" (very easy). I went to the cathedral and then the mercado. Excellent prices! Flagged a pulmonia back to the ship ($5).

(BTW both Cabo and Mazatlan were very hot and humid.)

Puerto Vallarta – Our group went to La Palapa Restaurant (located at Playa Los Muertos) for lunch. Got a van (there were seven of us with two rollators) for $6 each. Great lunch right on the beach (and the drinks actually had alcohol in them!). Mom and I had the coconut shrimp and guacamole. Yum! Temps were cooler than the previous two days and there was a nice breeze. When we were ready, the restaurant called a van for us back to the ship.

That's all I can think of right now. Have to start thinking of that 4-letter word... w-o-r-k. :rolleyes:

Edited by dobiemom

Thanks for the clarification Lisa-figured that was the case dividing the 1-3 star Mariners with the 4&5. I know we are 3 but not sure if close to 4 or not yet.

We are aft pool non-smoking shade area. Had to get out of the pool because they will be starting the water volleyball shortly and I don't want to drown!

Marcia-did you get your 4 star today?

I earned my fourth star this cruise, but won't get any benefits until my next cruise. Hopefully HAL will mail my 4-star pin along with my tile.

Glad you enjoyed Las Caletas. :)

We will board the Westerdam on Nov 5 and have been reading all the posts here. I hope someone will come back and tell us if there is luggage direct from the ship to their home airport. I fell and injured my hand and am most interested in anything that can make life easier. Our running joke is that my husband will have to cut my meat for me.

As far as I can tell Valet Luggage is not available in San Diego.

Can someone confirm or please prove me wrong? :-)

###

Edited by PhoenixCruiser