Here I Go Again- to cruise or not to cruise SE Asia?

KCSungirl

Hello. I stop by for counseling every time I am considering booking an exotic itinerary. Last year you steered me right! I loved the South American cruise around Cape Horn. I am looking at the Volendam SE Asia Singapore to Hong Kong. I have travelled SE Asia before, and I am mainly interested in the Vietnam ports. The cruise would be a substitute for a land tour of Vietnam that would take a lot of energy - moving every two days, flying every two days, checking in and out, finding tours, transfers, and negotiating. Everything I never have to worry about on a cruise. However, the distances from the ports to the city center(s) are long, I would feel rushed, and I would have to give up touring Hanoi if I want to cruise Halong Bay.

What say you?

Thanks a bunch, Sungirl

We did this cruise last year and really enjoyed it. We opted for Halong Bay which was nice but quite cold.

Saigon seemed to work well. Bangkok was where would have liked to have been docked closer as the smaller ships can it was a very long day and we had to skip things. Some overnighted there which might be a good idea but maybe you have already done it.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

We recently booked a SA cruise.

We have spent the last three winters in S E Asia. Each trip commenced in Bangkok and ranged anywhere from six to 14 weeks. We spent a month of our time last winter in Vietnam. We entered through Phu Quok in the south and departed through Honoi, one of the cities we enjoyed the most.

It comes down to how and where you wish to travel and whether you are ok with independent travel. We stayed in one place anywhere from two to five nights. We used buses, vans, air, and rail. In each of the three years we considered snagging a cruise. problem was that we really did not see any that took us where we wanted to go or docked for the length of time we wanted. We both still feel this way. The only cruises we took on those three trips were two out of Sydney. I believe that we saw a great deal more and experienced a great deal more by land than we ever would have on the few port days that many of the cruises have.

We also found that the SE Asia cruises were very expensive when compared to the land costs that we incurred.

Edited by iancal

The main places we went were Phu Quoc, Mekong Delta, Saigon, Dalat, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, and Halong.

Make a list of what you want to see/do. Then compare it to the cruise stops. Also look at where you dock and determine if there is enough time for you. In our instance we entered Vietnam by land, through Cambodia. Depending on the duration of your trip you can vary the stops. We spent five days in Phu Quac at the beach. We were in small chalet steps from the beach. The restaurant tables were on the beach..we seldom wore shoes or sandals for those five days. We only do carry on so it is much easier than one would think. Not a big deal to pack/unpack etc.

We are doing the same in South America this winter. Wrapping a land trip around a cruise. The cruise makes a nice break. We do the same in Europe.

Edited by iancal

I would definitely choose the cruise -- less effort than the land tour. Viet Nam ports were each interesting, for us but the best to me was Halong Bay. However, I would definitely plan some extra time on each end of the cruise -- Hong Kong has so much to see and do, and Singapore is a city that one must explore. We enjoyed my post-Singapore stay, a fascinating place and ended way too soon. I think you will enjoy this cruise.

Marianne

I would just say that if seeing Vietnam is your goal, doing it by ship can be very limiting. You only get a taste of what it's all about.

However, if you do decide for a cruise, then look at a cruise on a smaller ship. On my SE Asia cruise, my ship was 350 passengers. We docked IN Bangkok, and tied up right alongside in Ho Chi Minh city (where we overnighted). At least this way, we got to see a bit more of the country rather than spending hours commuting from the ship to the city or the sights.

Biggest thrill for me was visiting Angkor Wat.

Biggest disappointment was Singapore. I found it very sterile. Sort of a Disney World version of a city.

Did this cruise a few years ago on Celebrity. The distances from the ports to the cities were very long. We stayed overnight at a hotel in Bangkok, in order to see the city. People planned to do back to back day trips to Ho Chi Min City, but cancelled the second day, due to the distance. It was 4 hours from the port to Hanoi. Driving in Vietnam can be frightening and is not for the faint of heart. I did a similar trip some years earlier on a small ship. Much easier when the ship can dock right in the city.

Hello. I stop by for counseling every time I am considering booking an exotic itinerary. Last year you steered me right! I loved the South American cruise around Cape Horn. I am looking at the Volendam SE Asia Singapore to Hong Kong. I have travelled SE Asia before, and I am mainly interested in the Vietnam ports. The cruise would be a substitute for a land tour of Vietnam that would take a lot of energy - moving every two days, flying every two days, checking in and out, finding tours, transfers, and negotiating. Everything I never have to worry about on a cruise. However, the distances from the ports to the city center(s) are long, I would feel rushed, and I would have to give up touring Hanoi if I want to cruise Halong Bay.

What say you?

Thanks a bunch, Sungirl

Try a river cruise. All inclusive (usually) they take you on a morning and an afternoon tour. Most go from Seim Reip (Ankor Wat) to Saigon. HCM city. Squeeze somthing else in if you wish. Can be very hot and humid, pick the time of year carefully. K

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. After agonizing over my plans, I decided to hop on the Diamond Princess instead of the Volendam. I wanted more time to play in Singapore and we are taking a side trip from Singapore pre-cruise. You won't want to miss it! If you follow my "LIVE" threads, you will want to jump over to the Princess boards. The pre-cruise junket may interest you. I also post my pics and videos on my FB travel page. Fungirl Across America.

I would do a land tour of Northern Vietnam to really see and enjoy this country. One that is not such a frantic pace. Even just sticking to Hanoi and Sapa Highlands will give you a deeper appreciation for this country.

Though Hue and Halong Bay are also worthy excursions. Problem is today much of Vietnam is badly over-touristed and degraded. Find a way to get off the beaten path - and away from the noise, crowds and high-rises.

Here is a description from the un-named Hanoi based group I worked with to create my own personal itinerary- look for the "eco-tourism" options to help get away from the din:

This little (but extendable) loop takes you along a limestone mountain range stretching from the western boundaries of the country to the legendary seascape of Halong. Sceneries change every day, from green paddies of Mai Chau valley, through the forest of Pu Luong nature reserve and the towering limestone peaks of Ninh Binh, to Halong and Bai Tu Long bays. If you want the pleasure to last longer, contact XXXXXX to add an extra day at any of those destinations.

Edited by OlsSalt

Thanks everyone for the feedback. After agonizing over my plans, I decided to hop on the Diamond Princess instead of the Volendam. I wanted more time to play in Singapore and we are taking a side trip from Singapore pre-cruise. You won't want to miss it! If you follow my "LIVE" threads, you will want to jump over to the Princess boards. The pre-cruise junket may interest you. I also post my pics and videos on my FB travel page. Fungirl Across America.

I looked at the Princess boards but I can't find you writing about this upcoming trip, one we have been contemplating too. Where can I find it? I loved following your SA trip! Have a fantastic trip!!

The Diamond Princess followed us somewhat when we were doing the Asia trip on the Volendam -- I remember it being docked way far away from where we were able to dock on the Volendam at some ports - can't remember which ones, but a friend was on the Diamond at the same time so we were kind of keeping track and remarking we were happier to be on the Volendam. Lovely ship and great trip on the Volendam. Singapore to Kobe, Japan.

Edited by OlsSalt

• 2 weeks later...