Cruising with elderly Mother-in-Law

capsgirl71

Hi all,

We will be on the Breakaway in January. We are taking my mother-in-law, this is her first cruise. Any advice/tips to make it an easy transition and fun trip? She does have a friend traveling with her. We were thinking of getting our group walkie talkies. Anyone have experience with using them on ship? We have all entertainment and meals scheduled together, and will schedule any excursions as a group.

Thanks for any advice, tips, help, in advance.

Val

If you MIL has difficulties walking the embarkation day might be hard on her with all the lines, walking and standing. The port staff can arrange for a wheelchair to make that easier.

Walkie talkie's may or may not work on the ship due to all the metal and will depend on the quality of the brand you have.

The ships, while large, are not really that big. What I have done when travelling with my Mom, SIL and nephews is arrange for a time and place to meet up if we wanted to do other things. We also had sticky notes in each room to leave a note on doors if we missed each other.

Enjoy!

I think this is a difficult question to answer because you don't give us any information about her other than she is elderly and has a friend going with her. You ask about making the "transition" easy and making the trip fun.

Is she adventurous? Is she active? Elderly people can be very active or they can be in a scooter or use a walker.

What are her expectations? Is she expecting to spend all of your time with her son and your family? Or is she going to spend most of her time off with her friend and meet up with you for meals and shows? If she requires any assistance (physical mobility or otherwise), can the friend be counted on to help or is that all on your husband?

Instead of walkie talkies, I would consider getting that app for everyone for around $8 per phone. You can have unlimited text and probably works a lot better than walkie talkies. Plus you won't be irritating everyone around you with loud variations of "whaaaaat? I can't hear you, say again. Where are you????"

How is her mobility? Did you plan your rooms close to the elevators? I took my 82yo DM along with my DW and I on her first cruise and as long as we took it slow she had a great time. I did make sure she had seen her doctor beforehand and I don't remember what medication she took or was given for motion sickness. But whatever it was it worked. We sailed from Newark to Bermuda.... Family always comes first with us and could never thank my wife enough for helping my mom.... Bathrooms are sometimes the hardest time for older people just due to their size.... Good luck and have the time of your lives...

I think this is a difficult question to answer because you don't give us any information about her other than she is elderly and has a friend going with her. You ask about making the "transition" easy and making the trip fun. Didn't want to reveal too much info about her.

Is she adventurous? Is she active? Elderly people can be very active or they can be in a scooter or use a walker. We know her limitations, just wanted advise on the walkie talkies.

What are her expectations? Is she expecting to spend all of your time with her son and your family? Or is she going to spend most of her time off with her friend and meet up with you for meals and shows? If she requires any assistance (physical mobility or otherwise), can the friend be counted on to help or is that all on your husband? The friend can be counted on, but it is her first cruise, also. She wants to be as independent as possible.

Instead of walkie talkies, I would consider getting that app for everyone for around $8 per phone. You can have unlimited text and probably works a lot better than walkie talkies. Plus you won't be irritating everyone around you with loud variations of "whaaaaat? I can't hear you, say again. Where are you????"

Not everyone has an IPhone/Smart phone, she doesn't, so the app wouldnt help.

No, but it probably would for everyone else. We have used the Iconcierge app twice and it is great for not only texting and calling others, but for checking your account and making reservations as well.

Sounds like MIl's schedule is pretty much set. Will she be spending any time on her own either on or off the ship? There will be tons of activities available which will probably interest mil and her friend both during the day and at night, bingo, trivia, classes, shows in the atrium like Newlywed game, Dancing With the Stars etc., various types of live music in this lounge or that. I hope you give her some time on her own rather than expect her to want to do exactly what the rest of the group wants. Just give her the Freestyle Daily and a marker and turn her loose!

Does everyone really want to carry around a bulky walkie talkie that may or may not work? I'm also curious how much their noise bothers other passengers.

Why not just talk at dinner about the next day's schedule and make a plan to meet a few times?

We use post-its on the door to communicate with others about where we are or when to meet.

• 2 weeks later...
No, but it probably would for everyone else. We have used the Iconcierge app twice and it is great for not only texting and calling others, but for checking your account and making reservations as well.

Sounds like MIl's schedule is pretty much set. Will she be spending any time on her own either on or off the ship? There will be tons of activities available which will probably interest mil and her friend both during the day and at night, bingo, trivia, classes, shows in the atrium like Newlywed game, Dancing With the Stars etc., various types of live music in this lounge or that. I hope you give her some time on her own rather than expect her to want to do exactly what the rest of the group wants. Just give her the Freestyle Daily and a marker and turn her loose!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

There are always wall phones on the ship and my husband and I call our cabin and leave messages for each other. Your MIL or her friend could call their own phone from anywhere on the ship and listen to a message you leave on their phone about meeting place and time. (That would save them having to return to their cabin to look for a note on the door.:):D

Just important to state the time of your call so they know if it's recent etc. No point your saying you will wait in the library and not state the time. You could say something like "In the library now until 2:30 and then we're going to the Atrium for an hour". Hope this helps.

Wendy)

Don't know about the walker talkies - haven't seen folks use them. You can get a small dry erase board from a discount or dollar store to leave messages for each other and hang it off your mailbox outside your room with some string.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Walkie talkies are hit or miss.

Upon boarding go to the main dining room for lunch - one will be opened. It's a good relaxing way to start the cruise and we always get a kick out of no check, and you just get up and go. The buffet gets crazy, as they send everyone there.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

There are always wall phones on the ship and my husband and I call our cabin and leave messages for each other. Your MIL or her friend could call their own phone from anywhere on the ship and listen to a message you leave on their phone about meeting place and time. (That would save them having to return to their cabin to look for a note on the door.:):D

That's a really great idea! We've used the phones to call each other but we hadn't thought of checking messages without going back to the cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just cruised with my parents, age 92 and 89. Fairly healthy, my Dad still plays golf on a small course. Both still drive and are independent.

But all the walking was tiring. If they are similar to my parents the best thing you can do is walk slower, don't rush any place. Meet in plenty of time so you can walk slow to dining room etc. If possible don't have your cabin the opposite end of the ship from the food like we did. And don't try to fill every minute of the day.

I'd be careful of the seasickness patches possibly interacting with medication she might be on. My poor grandmother went completely loopy (hallucinating, thankfully mellow stuff) the first night of our cruise and it didn't really wear off until we'd taken the patch off and waited another 24 hours.

So depending on what meds she's already on, you might want to just use over the counter stuff (and be sure to ask her doc if those are safe).

I'd ease the pressure on yourselves in terms of scheduling -- look at the dailies, maybe have breakfast together and everybody can say how they plan to spend it so there are different options for joining in or going off on her own, keeping in mind that sometimes 2 pm rolls around and you're on a good chapter of your book (or having a pleasant nap) and no longer feel like doing whatever you were going to do.

A nice afternoon nap might energize her for an evening of a leisurely dinner and a show.

You will likely be eating most meals together...just TELL each other your plans for the next couple hours! Few folks want to lug walkie-talkies around with them!

Get your MIL the cruise brochure, let her read it...maybe a guidebook on the ports you'll visit.....

I don't know what "elderly" has to do with it...my mom is 83 and plays tennis 3 times a week! There would be no need for anything special for her!

I'd be careful of the seasickness patches possibly interacting with medication she might be on. My poor grandmother went completely loopy (hallucinating, thankfully mellow stuff) the first night of our cruise and it didn't really wear off until we'd taken the patch off and waited another 24 hours.

So depending on what meds she's already on, you might want to just use over the counter stuff (and be sure to ask her doc if those are safe).

I'd ease the pressure on yourselves in terms of scheduling -- look at the dailies, maybe have breakfast together and everybody can say how they plan to spend it so there are different options for joining in or going off on her own, keeping in mind that sometimes 2 pm rolls around and you're on a good chapter of your book (or having a pleasant nap) and no longer feel like doing whatever you were going to do.

A nice afternoon nap might energize her for an evening of a leisurely dinner and a show.

Not sure where I missed the reference to those seasickness patches or her getting seasick, but IF you are going to suggest that she use them...

FIRST make absolutely sure that her doctor fully approves (they may still be Rx only, not sure).

But also, have her try them at home, first.

If she has a bad reaction, better to be at home than to have that interfere with the cruise.

OP, I would just check & study the deck plan your MIL is currently booked for - are they near midship for less walking to the stairs & elevators (all the *Away class ships have 2 banks of elevators - FWD & AFT only - there are no "MID" ship elevators. Sometimes, they can be difficult to get in & out because it is relatively small.

If they are on the far ends of the ships, consider looking for an upgrade just to see if you can get them closer to a midship location as it will cut down the walking for anyone who don't care for lots of foot walking - some of the passenger corridors are rather narrow, whenever the room stewards are in the area doing their work with their service carts, etc.

Good news is that most of the public activities are on deck 6, 7 and 8 and deck 15 (pool & buffet, spa) and deck 16 (sundeck) - and it is really not that difficult to find someone and/or to pre-arrange a default meeting time/location ... in addition to using yellow stickies on the door and/or leaving voice mail with the in-room telephone system (free) - just no remote access.

Being that "they" are elders relative to you - your "mission" is to help them plan and find them if necessary, in case they don't show up as arranged for meals, etc. Your typical FRS or GMRS 2 way radios a/k/a walkie t's aren't going to work very well, if at all - as they are primary line of sights with coverage severely limited by the ship's steel & hull super-structure ... it will work fine outdoors and on the pool deck. Don't bother buying them and/or stock up on extra batteries to listen to static.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Instead of starting a new post, figured I'd jump in on this one.

We will be traveling with MIL who uses forearm crutches (both arms) to assist.

Will they take her out of line and allow her to get signed in so she can get to a seat before boarding starts?

We are fine standing in line but would like to get her to a seat

I think we are not going to do the walkie talkies, we will just schedule a check-in during the morning and afternoon. We have been looking at shore excursions and have been getting an idea of activities from the dailies that have been posted on this board.

She is only 70, but not very active due to a bad knee, (bone-on-bone), but she is in the process of getting that fixed and should be fine prior to the cruise. We have arrranged for a wheelchair for embarktion, just to get her on the ship, as her knee will probably still be tender from injections, etc.

Her doctor prescibed an Rx for the patches. She has never been on a crusie so she asked for them, felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

So many things have changes since our last cruise so it is almost like we are newbies, too. Looking forward to it though.

Thanks again for all of your input.

I have used radio's on the ships with great success, BUT they are 5 watt, 70cm amateur radios and you are supposed to have a license to use them. I do have that license, but that being said, I'm not sure anyone will check on the boat.

It would work the entire length of the boat, except on decks with only rooms on them. For example if you were on deck 9 aft, and someone else was on deck 9 front, all the metal walls of the rooms would not allow it to work.

In some cases we would leave a radio with our friends who were remaining on the boat while in port, and speak to them while we were off the boat in port. This worked especially good in the Bahamas, tortola, St Marteen, and St Thomas.

I think we are not going to do the walkie talkies, we will just schedule a check-in during the morning and afternoon. We have been looking at shore excursions and have been getting an idea of activities from the dailies that have been posted on this board.

She is only 70, but not very active due to a bad knee, (bone-on-bone), but she is in the process of getting that fixed and should be fine prior to the cruise. We have arrranged for a wheelchair for embarktion, just to get her on the ship, as her knee will probably still be tender from injections, etc.

Her doctor prescibed an Rx for the patches. She has never been on a crusie so she asked for them, felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

So many things have changes since our last cruise so it is almost like we are newbies, too. Looking forward to it though.

Ref the patches, I've used them without incident but also have heard stories about horrible side effects. May be worth trying one pre-cruise for a couple days because on the ship would be a bad time to find out about the side effects.

now that you have mentioned her age and her issue I can better give my ideas. Yes, try to set up an early check in if you consider her a special needs passenger, but it doesn't sound like she will have any real problems except for the walking because of the knee issue. I traveled with my cousin before she had knees replaced, she did fine. I have had one knee replaced, prior to cruising, other than hurting I had no issues and I am older than your mom in law. We went on our first cruise with my mom in law when she was 80: her first cruise as well. She did get lost once but some crew member helped her find the cabin. Other than that we had no problems. You are going to see people cruising that are much older than mom in law and much more physically challenged.

the sea sick pill or patches is a great idea except tell her they can make her sleepy. We used them on our first cruise.

Have a great cruise and don't worry.

Instead of starting a new post, figured I'd jump in on this one.

We will be traveling with MIL who uses forearm crutches (both arms) to assist.

Will they take her out of line and allow her to get signed in so she can get to a seat before boarding starts?

We are fine standing in line but would like to get her to a seat

Request wheelchair assistance as soon as you arrive at the port. My mom uses a walker but the wheelchair is so much better to get those ramps and avoid getting bumped by others that are in a hurry to board.

I know age is relative, but to me 70 is not 'elderly' (ha ha, I'm 71)--90 is. Or maybe at least 10 years older than whatever age we are!

I know people have very different levels of mobility and/or other age related problems, but it sounds like your mother will be fine, especially if her knee gets fixed. Discussing schedules and and setting up meeting times should work well, as long as memory isn't an issue.

I would consider a door magnet for her cabin door. First time cruisers may have difficulty finding their door. Make one for your cabin door too, so they can find you. We did this for my MIL and she appreciated it. She is fully competent, but all cabin doors look alike.