Internet Pkg - 2 Person ressie can't have 3 Device Pkg?

Lankysmom

There are 4 of us and we booked 2 adjoining rooms for our cruise coming up, 2 adults 2 children. I tried to add the internet package for 3 devices to one of the reservations but the RC rep said they limit the number of devices on a package to the number of people in the room. Is this correct?

Thanks.

We were going to use the devices to keep in touch so we'd need all 3 devices at the same time. Hubby with one device, Me with one and my son. My husband has health issues and I need to stay in touch with him if he's not with me and we also want to keep in touch with our son if he's not with us.

There are 4 of us and we booked 2 adjoining rooms for our cruise coming up, 2 adults 2 children. I tried to add the internet package for 3 devices to one of the reservations but the RC rep said they limit the number of devices on a package to the number of people in the room. Is this correct?

Not correct, you should have packages from 1 to 5 devices in your cruise planner.

Not correct, you should have packages from 1 to 5 devices in your cruise planner.

Apparently I was wrong. Very recently (within the past few days) RCI changed their availability. It seems you can only get 1 to 2 devices packages. But, a couple could still get an effective 4 device package by getting 2 device packages each.

I noticed the same thing had happened in my cruise planner a few days ago. Now only have access to a 1 or 2 device package. I bet this is to stop people booking say a 4 device package ( which works out cheaper per device than a 2 device package) and sharing it between 2 different reservations! We booked a 5 device package on our harmony cruise this summer and shared it between 3 reservations - worked out good value.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks.

What ship are you sailing on?

I was debating if I want 4 or 5 device package last night and decided to wait to see if my parents wanted service on their device and when I went to reserve it, the 4 and 5 device package was gone. Spent over 1 hr on the phone 2 different reps and the answer was only 1 or 2 device packages. :(. No other explanation was given.

I was debating if I want 4 or 5 device package last night and decided to wait to see if my parents wanted service on their device and when I went to reserve it, the 4 and 5 device package was gone. Spent over 1 hr on the phone 2 different reps and the answer was only 1 or 2 device packages. :(. No other explanation was given.

It sucks. I had it in my cart but showed no longer available. That is why I called and then he told me I could only have 2 devices with only 2 people in the room. Getting 2 of the 2 device plans isn't as much of a value as 1 of the 4 device plans. Oh well, off to plan B, it looks like.

Thanks for the responses!

Apparently I was wrong. Very recently (within the past few days) RCI changed their availability. It seems you can only get 1 to 2 devices packages. But, a couple could still get an effective 4 device package by getting 2 device packages each.

Sounds like another revenue generating move, i.e., trying to limit people sharing their plans.

It makes sense. The more devises you have the cheaper it gets, right? So you are traveling with a group, multiple rooms, and you decide to share. So they discovered that many people are sharing after they did some kind of analysis and decided that they will limit it to 2 since a person most likely would not be trying to use two devises at the same time.

Of course the abuse of something, makes it for others to suffer that used the service without sharing with other friends or roll call members or numerous other groups.

Now for those that think sharing is good for drink packages, I hope you read this........

It makes sense. The more devises you have the cheaper it gets, right? So you are traveling with a group, multiple rooms, and you decide to share. So they discovered that many people are sharing after they did some kind of analysis and decided that they will limit it to 2 since a person most likely would not be trying to use two devises at the same time.

Of course the abuse of something, makes it for others to suffer that used the service without sharing with other friends or roll call members or numerous other groups.

Now for those that think sharing is good for drink packages, I hope you read this........

How is it abuse if you bought the 4 or 5 device package and that many people are using it.... be it on your own reservation or another?? If I paid for 5 devices to keep in touch with members of my family while on the ship then it is not abuse if those 5 people are using it. I agree about the drink package.. if i bought a package and am sharing my drinks or getting drinks for someone else than that is abuse (stealing) but I don't get your take on the internet package.

I did get the 5 device package a few weeks ago and am sorry that it is no longer available for others.... I will be using it to keep in touch with my husband and 3 teens on board our spring break cruise in April.

Another future cruiser here that delayed signing up for the 5 device option. It appears that 2 separate 2 device packages will cost about the same, maybe $1 less. Bummer.

Funny, on RCI homepage, the VOOM option now shows 4 device are still possible It looks like they're not totally sure yet.

Either package is available for up to 4 devices.

How about one 5-device package vs. five 1-device packages?

Don't remember what a 5 device Surf used to be but 5 one device packages would be $45 (5x8.99). Even if the 5 device package was $30 (I seem to remember it being in the 30s), that's only $15 gain for RCI (true, % wise and across the entire ship, it's sizable). But that's a bit unfair comparison since you can't buy 5 one device packages (unless you have 5 people in your cabin) and with the new restriction people will just buy the 2 device package.

Between the IT folks and the number crunchers, there's some reason we're not seeing for the change. Of course this assumes this will stay as is - it could change back tomorrow when they discovered that it was done by mistake.:eek:

How is it abuse if you bought the 4 or 5 device package and that many people are using it.... be it on your own reservation or another?? If I paid for 5 devices to keep in touch with members of my family while on the ship then it is not abuse if those 5 people are using it.

If 2 adults and 3 kids are using it than no, it's not abuse. I was merely pointing out that if 2 adults in one room and 2 adults in another room are using it, than RCCL may consider it abuse. They can have their own definition of how they want to sell a package. One for family (not groups of adults but family as in parent/kids) or not. The change in policy like all changes in policy are often times reviewed by a company to see the numbers. If they are seeing an unusual high number of sharing, than they made the change.

I agree about the drink package.. if i bought a package and am sharing my drinks or getting drinks for someone else than that is abuse (stealing) but I don't get your take on the internet package.

I did get the 5 device package a few weeks ago and am sorry that it is no longer available for others.... I will be using it to keep in touch with my husband and 3 teens on board our spring break cruise in April.

Your reason is valid, but my guess is they did discover large numbers of sharing between adults, and they wanted to slow that down. If you can come up with a more logically reason than please share.

Don't remember what a 5 device Surf used to be but 5 one device packages would be $45 (5x8.99). Even if the 5 device package was $30 (I seem to remember it being in the 30s), that's only $15 gain for RCI (true, % wise and across the entire ship, it's sizable). But that's a bit unfair comparison since you can't buy 5 one device packages (unless you have 5 people in your cabin) and with the new restriction people will just buy the 2 device package.

Between the IT folks and the number crunchers, there's some reason we're not seeing for the change. Of course this assumes this will stay as is - it could change back tomorrow when they discovered that it was done by mistake.:eek:

Here is the pricing I paid for the 5 device package a couple weeks ago when it was posted as 30% off..... 5 device package $220 = $31 a day which comes to approximately $6.30 per device per day

which comes to approximately $6.30 per device per day

If it were straight math it would be $2.70 per day diff (gain for RCI) but as I mentioned it is very unlikely with the new restriction in place folks will buy 5 one device packages as a replacement. I don't see revenue to be the driving force behind this change.

As the Brilliance speedtest shows, it could be that device proliferation has gotten so bad that it is dragging down the performance for everyone. It could be that RCI wants to limit that couple with 5 devices in one cabin from having all those devices on at the same time. I have a feeling this restriction is affecting few people - most folks likely go for the cheapest one device Surf package.

I'm thinking more than one stateroom can be involved, say if some friends are going on the same cruise and decide to share a 5-device packge rather than get individual packages.