Mariner updates

flossie009

I seem to remember someone asking on a recent thread about bedside clocks

The bedside clock in our suite on Mariner has an alarm function; whether this will be the same after the ship's refurb next April I do not know. I think someone reported that the bedside clocks on Explorer do not have an alarm?

Service levels on board continue to be excellent - some of the best staff & crew that we have seen in the past two years :)

Someone on this board said that Oceania management does not transfer well to Regent

On the basis of this cruise I must strongly disagree. The restaurant manager, from Montenegro, transferred from Oceania; he is friendly, efficient and interacts perfectly with guests; he continually supports and mentors his staff which leads to the good service we enjoy :)

Flossie I agreee with you re the service and staff. Our fairly recent cruise on Mariner we had the best service we have had on any of the 3 ships, food and service excellent. Last year we both felt things were lacking in service on Mariner but this year definitely first class.

Enjoy Krew Kapers and a lovely evening ahead. Send some sun to the cold, dark north east of Scotland would you? Jean.:)

There have been two visiting performers on this cruise, each doing two evening shows

Ryan Ahern: show pianist. His first performance was very good; we will try to catch his second tonight

Lovena B Fox: singer. We missed her first performance but last night she was excellent; mainly songs from the shows, including some memorable Whitney Houston numbers from 'Bodyguard'

Everyone should be happy to know that you no longer have to wait for a "special" night to have lobster. Today is our first night on the Explorer with the new CR menu and the lobster (offered every day) was to die for (ordered steamed).

Do you not find that dishes cease to be special if they are always available?

Presumably the daily lobster on the new CR menu is frozen, rather than the fresh Maine lobster that the chef kept alive on-board until boiling and preparation for last night's dinner on Mariner (which included lobster risotto and lobster bisque as well as lobster tail - all freshly prepared) :)

Someone on this board said that Oceania management does not transfer well to Regent

On the basis of this cruise I must strongly disagree. The restaurant manager, from Montenegro, transferred from Oceania; he is friendly, efficient and interacts perfectly with guests; he continually supports and mentors his staff which leads to the good service we enjoy :)

Thank you for all your posts during this cruise as it sounds like you have had a great trip. We board in Miami when you get off the ship Friday. In the past we've experienced mostly wonderful service but it has been a few years since we were last on Mariner. Would you be so kind as to make a couple server recommendations in Compass Rose for us please?

Currently on the Explorer and stand by my comments about Oceania crew members transferring to Regent. Certainly there are exceptions -- there is a G.M. from Oceania that is fabulous (as well as certain other crew members). I learned tonight that there were a load of Oceania crew members on board during the christening and maiden voyage cruises. As you may recall, there were many, many reports of unhappy crew members. Perhaps this will clarify this issue for many CC members. The Oceania crew has now returned to Oceania.

In terms of lobster no longer being special. That is not the "take" of the passengers on board now. Why should someone have to wait for two "special" nights to have lobster (although you can special order it, too many passengers do not even know this). We wanted lobster again tonight but the menu also offered herb-crusted rack of lamb (from Chartreuse) and Osso Buco from Sette Mari - both wonderful dishes.

I want to join with the others in thanking you for your review of your Mariner cruise. Hopefully, by the next time you cruise on the Mariner, it will be set up like the Navigator, Voyager and Explorer (you may be surprised by how much you like it). Today we booked a Mariner cruise for 11/2017 - looking forward to seeing the "new" Mariner!

Port Canaveral today

Many guests opted to go to the Kennedy Space Centre but we had already been there during a previous trip to Florida. Instead we went on an air-boat ride through the swamps; very enjoyable and saw lots of wildlife including small and large alligators

Many of the staff & crew also got a chance to go on a tour to the Kennedy Space Centre between shifts

Tonight we are in Prime 7 then disembark in Miami tomorrow, with a night flight back to Heathrow and home

Oh, how quickly your cruise has passed, Flossie, but how much I've enjoyed reading your reports and travelling vicariously! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and have a safe, uneventful trip home. Wear something warm - it's suddenly turned chilly over here!

Flossie - It has been a refreshing pleasure to read your comments about your cruise. Thanks for taking valuable cruising (and drinking) time to post them. We look forward very much to meeting you on Voyager in a few weeks.

Thank you for all your posts during this cruise as it sounds like you have had a great trip. We board in Miami when you get off the ship Friday. In the past we've experienced mostly wonderful service but it has been a few years since we were last on Mariner. Would you be so kind as to make a couple server recommendations in Compass Rose for us please?

Sorry to have taken so long to reply

We do not stick with the same servers each night. We eat at different times and usually opt for a sharing table to allow us to meet other guests over dinner

We found all our wait-staff (both food & drink) to be efficient and friendly; Vladimir, the restaurant manager, leads a good crew. :)

Hope you have an enjoyable cruise

We are now sitting in Miami airport lounge awaiting our flight back to Heathrow

Disembarkation was fairly smooth this morning but, as usual, the Miami authorities and baggage handlers managed to delay proceedings. It is always a source of amusement that the paperwork says 'ship must be cleared by 9am' but we have never been off a ship in Miami before 09:15 :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the kind wishes and hope this mini-blog has provided some information of use to others. We trust that everyone boarding today has a fabulous time

We are sad to leave Mariner :(.................but will be back on-board Voyager in under a month :)