Mariner updates

flossie009

Pleased to hear you arrived safely in Halifax. When we arrived in Saint John we had a lovely welcome and we were the last ship of the season, we were presented with maple leaf badges and a wee market at the port where they had lots of bargains. We didn't take a tour as our niece and her partner were able to join us onboard for lunch, but the short time we waited in the port area for them was very friendly. Have a lovely day. Jean.

I have fond memories of Halifax and Saint John too, Jean. We were there on Remembrance Day and I have a red velvet Canadian poppy as a result. Yes, Flossie, it is a little different from the Halifax on this side of the ocean, but as I originate from Hull, I'm not sure I'm the best person to comment ;-)

I agree, HeatherDawn, you will love being on board Mariner! I am envious.

We still love the Mariner and hope they do not spoil her during the refurb next Spring...................if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it

That makes me happy, to hear you say this! Sorry Canada has had some bad weather for your trip, and hope you enjoy Saint John.

An excellent production of Dancing in the Streets from JAR last night

Apparently there are about 25% of the guests on board who are new to Regent and just under 25% who are Gold or above

I will try to find out the mix of nationalities in due course

We are just docking in St John so had better get ready for our tour. It is a grey, cold day but no wind and not raining (yet!)

Just as a follow up, I believe that Happy Valley and Last Tango in Halifax, both TV shows are available in the US both of which are filmed in and around Halifax and depict life more or less as it is today, still gritty!

To stay on topic, I did post on our recent Mariner trip that I was disappointed in Halifax Canada and made me reappraise Halifax Yorkshire in a different light, especially its history.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Portland yesterday was somewhat better weather; cold but dry and no wind

Our excursion was a 'Foodie Tour', taking in the following delights: lobster rolls, clam chowder, various cheeses, craft beers, potato chips/dips, potato donuts, sodas. So no breakfast or lunch was required on board

Lorraine W and the JAR troupe staged a very enjoyable 'Bond Night' early evening and then, having sampled the martinis, we went off for another delicious meal in Signatures

On returning to our suite we found it decked out for our anniversary; a lovely surprise

We have just docked in Boston (Massachusetts not Lincolnshire for you Brits); unfortunately it is a cloudy and rainy day

Just as a follow up, I believe that Happy Valley and Last Tango in Halifax, both TV shows are available in the US both of which are filmed in and around Halifax and depict life more or less as it is today, still gritty!

To stay on topic, I did post on our recent Mariner trip that I was disappointed in Halifax Canada and made me reappraise Halifax Yorkshire in a different light, especially its history....

Sorry you were disappointed in Halifax, Canada. Perhaps it was the weather.

Yes, both of those shows are (or were) available on Netflix. Sally Wainwright, director, great stuff. Being Canadian, I admit that I thought Last Tango was set here, lol!

Portland yesterday was somewhat better weather; cold but dry and no wind

Our excursion was a 'Foodie Tour', taking in the following delights: lobster rolls, clam chowder, various cheeses, craft beers, potato chips/dips, potato donuts, sodas. So no breakfast or lunch was required on board

Lorraine W and the JAR troupe staged a very enjoyable 'Bond Night' early evening and then, having sampled the martinis, we went off for another delicious meal in Signatures

On returning to our suite we found it decked out for our anniversary; a lovely surprise

We have just docked in Boston (Massachusetts not Lincolnshire for you Brits); unfortunately it is a cloudy and rainy day

Happy anniversary, Jean.

Rain stayed away in Boston yesterday AM and we did a 'trolley tour' of the old town; the walking tour around the Italian quarter in the afternoon became a little wet by the end

Seven Seas Society night last night, so Miso Glazed Sea Bass on the menu......yummy; waiter could see we were enjoying the dish so brought us two extra portions!! :)

Last night was 'Liars Club' (Call my Bluff) which was a lot of fun

Sea was very rough overnight but smooth sailing today - a day at sea, arriving in New York this afternoon

Today's organised daytime events include:

Lectures/Seminars: Smithsonian plus Q&A session; Spa seminars; boutique seminar

Games: Bridge lessons & play; Mah Jongg; indoor golf; paddle tennis; baggo; bingo; trivia; treasure hunt

Other: ballroom - samba lesson; needlepoint; cocktail demo; theatre backstage tour; matinee cabaret (JAR vocalist)

Interesting fact.............there is one old gentleman on board who has completed 4,100 nights on Regent ships :eek:

The weather in New York should be pretty good and will get warmer as you go south.

For all of the non-Americans on board, the "Tex-Mex" barbeque on Regent bears no resemblance to what is served in the U.S. (except for the super good guacamole). This is a pretty much agreed upon opinion so I'm a bit surprised that they are serving that rather than corn on the cob, hot dogs, burgers, steak sandwiches, chicken wings, fries, macaroni & cheese, baked beans, apple pie and other things that are more representative of the U.S.

The weather in New York should be pretty good and will get warmer as you go south.

For all of the non-Americans on board, the "Tex-Mex" barbeque on Regent bears no resemblance to what is served in the U.S. (except for the super good guacamole). This is a pretty much agreed upon opinion so I'm a bit surprised that they are serving that rather than corn on the cob, hot dogs, burgers, steak sandwiches, chicken wings, fries, macaroni & cheese, baked beans, apple pie and other things that are more representative of the U.S.

I don't agree.

I had some chilli and some corn today which was good; obviously you can get hot-dogs, burgers, chicken wings and fries daily from the Pool Grill if required

Still chilly, but clear, as we approach NY; forecast for tomorrow is cloudy with rain late afternoon; the last 3 to 4 days of our cruise should be sunny and warm :)

>>Interesting fact.............there is one old gentleman on board who has completed 4,100 nights on Regent ships<<

He's been on all the ships (not the Explorer) sailing for the past 11-12 years. He's a very special gentleman - a former US Navy Officer.

I don't agree.

I do understand that people not raised around our southern border have different tastes when it comes to Latin cuisine. I was raised in Southern California where Mexican food is really authentic. Texas is obviously known for "Tex-Mex" (the Centurion Lounge in Dallas has some of the best we have tried). When we moved to the north (or when we visit northern states), we do not recognize the food. On Regent the chili is made with ingredients that are unusual and the meat is spiced differently. While there is nothing wrong with the "Tex-Mex" food on Regent, IMO, it is not authentic and was extremely disappointing. It likely has to do with my expectations. I discussed this with RachaelG and she agreed.

Back to this cruise, it sounds like typical weather for the east coast in late October. Fortunately there have not been any significant storms on this cruise. The waters in the Atlantic are rather "iffy" for another month or so. Even when the Explorer sails down to Miami we are expecting similar weather but the seas may be calming down a bit.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

I do understand that people not raised around our southern border have different tastes when it comes to Latin cuisine. I was raised in Southern California where Mexican food is really authentic. Texas is obviously known for "Tex-Mex" (the Centurion Lounge in Dallas has some of the best we have tried). When we moved to the north (or when we visit northern states), we do not recognize the food. On Regent the chili is made with ingredients that are unusual and the meat is spiced differently. While there is nothing wrong with the "Tex-Mex" food on Regent, IMO, it is not authentic and was extremely disappointing. It likely has to do with my expectations. I discussed this with RachaelG and she agreed.

I agree with you Travelcat2. I live in California and I thought the Tex-Mex or

Chili on Regent was ok but not very good it is missing the proper spices and just tasted odd. I make way better chili at home.

Agree 100% with TC about "Tex-Mex". Live in So Cal and love the Mexican food here and it comes in many different styles, none of which are similar to RSSC's version. Oh, and to muddy the water a bit Tex-Mex is usually a little different from So Cal Mex.

we loved our Montreal to Miami cruise last year and it had some weather issues as well. Still great fun.

Dennis

Heading for Norfolk Virginia this morning following a very enjoyable day in New York yesterday

The sail-in to NY on Saturday afternoon was spectacular, docking in Manhattan

Yesterday was sunny & warm but with a squall & thunderstorm just before sailing out

Service levels on board continue to be excellent - some of the best staff & crew that we have seen in the past two years :)

Norfolk yesterday was very pleasant but unfortunately the excursion we chose (Jamestown and Yorktown) did not live up to expectations.............the first time this cruise. The basic problem was that the tour plan did not allow sufficient time at each stop; one of the guides told us that he would normally allow at least 2 hours at each location, whereas the Regent tour scheduled less than an hour at each stop and underestimated travel times between stops. We gave constructive feedback to Destination Services

An excellent, and well attended, Halloween & Scaraoke party in Stars lounge last night; the lounge was suitably bedecked with cobwebs etc :eek:

Today is a sea day and as well as the usual organised events there is a cooking competition this morning between the Exec Chef (representing England) and the Signatures Head Waiter (representing France) plus a matinee movie, 'The Man Who New Infinity', this afternoon

Tonight is Captain's Farewll Reception and Krew Kapers show...........unusually 3 days before the end of the cruise

There should be Lobster on the menu tonight as the Chef took fresh ones on board in Maine with the intention of serving them tonight :)

Tomorrow we are in Jacksonville followed by Port Canaveral on Thursday and then disembark in Miami on Friday :(