Question on Baths in Tortola

TandK0826

If you are not taking an excursion from the ship how exactly do you get there? I know you have to take a ferry (is there only one ferry company that takes you? Can you recommend one?) but do you have to take a taxi to get to the ferry or is it within walking distance or is it right at the port? Trying to plan this for next month and from what it seems so far, it seems cheaper to go on our own than with the cruise line. If taxi, how much is it per person if you can remember? Appreciate any info you can give. Two adults and a 5 and 12 year old are going. Thanks in advance

We are doing this next weekend actually. From the research I've found we take a ferry from Tortola to virgin girds and then a cab ride from the ferry to the baths. Ferry is $30 for adults roundtrip and $20 for child (5-11). Here's a link to the ferry. http://Www.bestofbvi.com. Ferry info is on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by klc0472

We are doing this next weekend actually. From the research I've found we take a ferry from Tortola to virgin girds and then a cab ride from the ferry to the baths. Ferry is $30 for adults roundtrip and $20 for child (5-11). Here's a link to the ferry. http://Www.bestofbvi.com. Ferry info is on the right.

Do you know if you have to take a taxi as well to get to the ferries?

We did the Baths last year from the Getaway and although we have done many shore excursions on our own this we did with NCL. After looking at the ferry times and worrying about taxi availability we didn't want to take the risk. The ferry is about a 10 min walk in Road-town a 40 min ferry trip and a 15-20 min taxi ride on Virgin Gorda . http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_vg_tortola.htm

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to throw in my 2 cents... We went a few months ago and we booked through NCL and it was a good time but there was a lot of confusion and hundreds of people trying to get on 14 person taxi's that were going to different places made it difficult for some so if you do it privately it will probably be a little smoother. Where the taxi's drop you off there is a bit of a walk to get to the baths which was no big deal for us but with a lot of steps many people had a tough time that were not in good condition and walking with big groups made a 10-15 minute walk turn in to almost 30 minutes. But something we noticed that we swore to do if we ever went back... Once we made it through everything and got to the beach we seen a bunch of small water taxis that would take people directly to the beach area so you wouldn't have to drive around the island and deal with all the confusion. The beach is roped off so the water taxis/boats could not pull up to the sand but people would jump off at the ropes and swim in, if you do this you have about a 80 foot swim but definitely worth it!

Just to throw in my 2 cents... We went a few months ago and we booked through NCL and it was a good time but there was a lot of confusion and hundreds of people trying to get on 14 person taxi's that were going to different places made it difficult for some so if you do it privately it will probably be a little smoother. Where the taxi's drop you off there is a bit of a walk to get to the baths which was no big deal for us but with a lot of steps many people had a tough time that were not in good condition and walking with big groups made a 10-15 minute walk turn in to almost 30 minutes. But something we noticed that we swore to do if we ever went back... Once we made it through everything and got to the beach we seen a bunch of small water taxis that would take people directly to the beach area so you wouldn't have to drive around the island and deal with all the confusion. The beach is roped off so the water taxis/boats could not pull up to the sand but people would jump off at the ropes and swim in, if you do this you have about a 80 foot swim but definitely worth it!

Thank you. That actually sounds like a great idea. From what I been reading so far, going thru NCL does seem to be a bit confusing and you spend most of your time getting there than anything. Appreciate the tip!

The ferry to virgin gorda is attached to the ship pier. You can't miss it. I would echo the advise to take a separate venue there to avoid the crowds. There is a company that will pick you up at the docks and take you directly to the baths (no need for taxi). However you must be a strong swimmer as you anchor off shore and swim in. It's stunning really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't mind the swim to the shore and we will have our snorkel gear so that sounds like a good idea. Does anyone know the name of the company that does that? Can't seem to find any info on them but I might not be doing the right search.

• 3 weeks later...

So we just returned and I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. We walked off the ship and asked for directions to the ferry to virgin gorda. Just walk down the street and make a left then a left at the stoplight. A lot of people were heading to the same spot so we couldn't miss it. Fare was $38 round trip from Tortola which included a taxi transfer to the baths. We caught the 9am ferry and they have them coming back at 12:40 and 3:30. We stayed all day, enjoyed some amazing snorkeling and then took the 3:30 ferry back to the ship. Walked onboard at around 4:30 after doing a little shopping by the pier. Didn't see anyone at all doing any kind of water taxi and the taxi ride wasn't long at all.

So we just returned and I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. We walked off the ship and asked for directions to the ferry to virgin gorda. Just walk down the street and make a left then a left at the stoplight. A lot of people were heading to the same spot so we couldn't miss it. Fare was $38 round trip from Tortola which included a taxi transfer to the baths. We caught the 9am ferry and they have them coming back at 12:40 and 3:30. We stayed all day, enjoyed some amazing snorkeling and then took the 3:30 ferry back to the ship. Walked onboard at around 4:30 after doing a little shopping by the pier. Didn't see anyone at all doing any kind of water taxi and the taxi ride wasn't long at all.

Thank you for remembering to come on here and let me know! I really appreciate that. Sounds easy enough. What did you think of The Baths? Worth the trip going to see. Be ok for our 5 year old to go? I know it is a hike to get there and just don't want little one to get hurt. Obviously we will keep close tabs on her but was just curious your thoughts?

I'd recommend it to anyone. There are some tough climbs if you go through the "caves" though. I saw some adults having a tough time so I'm not sure how the little one would do. We didn't go with a group so we couple take our time and do lots of exploring. The place is fantastic because there were lots of little nooks to explore. Once you get to the beach area after the short hike from the drop off, you can choose to go through the whole path or just a little. For ME, it was one of coolest places I've been and the snorkeling was simply amazing. We brought our own snorkel set that we bought on amazon for $30 which we used just about every port. It's not something you see everyday.

I'd recommend it to anyone. There are some tough climbs if you go through the "caves" though. I saw some adults having a tough time so I'm not sure how the little one would do. We didn't go with a group so we couple take our time and do lots of exploring. The place is fantastic because there were lots of little nooks to explore. Once you get to the beach area after the short hike from the drop off, you can choose to go through the whole path or just a little. For ME, it was one of coolest places I've been and the snorkeling was simply amazing. We brought our own snorkel set that we bought on amazon for $30 which we used just about every port. It's not something you see everyday.

We were on an excursion where a passenger had a heart attack and died in the caves. So, just a warning to readers that it can be too strenuous! Watch a YouTube video of the hike and make your decision. It took a long time to get medical help to the man although I am told that a fellow passenger was NYPD and tried to do CPR.

If you are not taking an excursion from the ship how exactly do you get there? I know you have to take a ferry (is there only one ferry company that takes you? Can you recommend one?) but do you have to take a taxi to get to the ferry or is it within walking distance or is it right at the port? Trying to plan this for next month and from what it seems so far, it seems cheaper to go on our own than with the cruise line. If taxi, how much is it per person if you can remember? Appreciate any info you can give. Two adults and a 5 and 12 year old are going. Thanks in advance

If you go to the Tortola port of call board and search you can find detailed instructions on how to get to the baths from Tortola.

We were on an excursion where a passenger had a heart attack and died in the caves. So, just a warning to readers that it can be too strenuous! Watch a YouTube video of the hike and make your decision. It took a long time to get medical help to the man although I am told that a fellow passenger was NYPD and tried to do CPR.

I will agree that it took a long time to get help, but that is true on almost any island anywhere in the Caribbean. As an aside I know of people who have had heart attacks in bed, and in chairs and not survived.

The Baths are not strenuous at all, however the walk down and back up can be taxing. Best to take the back path and go slowly if you are not used to hills.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. 5 year old is just learning how to swim right now so not the best swimmer yet. Hubby and I are trying to decide if this is what we really want to do with her. Is there anything else to recommend to do in Tortola other than The Baths?

I know The Baths are very popular and a lot of people love visiting. To be completely honest, we were underwhelmed by the entire experience. Would definitely not do it again.

There were several people on the hike through the rocks and water that were in no way phyiscally fit enough to be attempting the trek down. Then there were others that were basically having to hold or carry their small kids. It looked miserable for them. One older man slid down a rock on a his rear and ended up with a nasty gash in his calf. Even on the way back up through the path, people were struggling due to the small elevation change. I usually dismiss the cruise line's difficult ratings on excursions, but I feel they don't properly do this one justice. I'd consider myself in far better shape than most and I still worked up a sweat. We didn't get in the water but there were a lot of kids swimming. It also gets very crowded once a second wave of people and the snorkeling boats arrive.

If you're just looking for a nice beach and swimming, I would suggest something like Cane Garden Bay or Smuggler's Cove. Both are beautiful, easy to get to, and you would have a much more relaxing day.

I know The Baths are very popular and a lot of people love visiting. To be completely honest, we were underwhelmed by the entire experience. Would definitely not do it again.

There were several people on the hike through the rocks and water that were in no way phyiscally fit enough to be attempting the trek down. Then there were others that were basically having to hold or carry their small kids. It looked miserable for them. One older man slid down a rock on a his rear and ended up with a nasty gash in his calf. Even on the way back up through the path, people were struggling due to the small elevation change. I usually dismiss the cruise line's difficult ratings on excursions, but I feel they don't properly do this one justice. I'd consider myself in far better shape than most and I still worked up a sweat. We didn't get in the water but there were a lot of kids swimming. It also gets very crowded once a second wave of people and the snorkeling boats arrive.

If you're just looking for a nice beach and swimming, I would suggest something like Cane Garden Bay or Smuggler's Cove. Both are beautiful, easy to get to, and you would have a much more relaxing day.

Thank you! We may just do that. I will look that up. Appreciate it. Hubs and I might do The Baths on our next trip without the kids ;)