Oasis questions

I have sailed on the Grandeur earlier this year, and really did not enjoy myself. Was my first time with RCI, and just did not have fun. I am going to give RCI another try, and trying out the Oasis. I do have some questions that maybe you folks can answer. I tried to search for te info, and did not really find what I was looking for.

-Looking at booking a D/3 balcony. Compared to other lines, how large are the staterooms. I have read there are problems with floor space. Is there a small couch in the room?

-Do the rooms have mini bars? I will have insulin that will need to stay cool.

- I purchased a beverage package on my last trip that included sodas/ virgin drinks and coffee at Lattetudes. On the Grandeur, they serve Starbucks, so I got my money's worth. I read on RCI website that the card is not valid at Starbucks on the Oasis. Is there another venue on the Oasis to get specialty coffees that the card will work?

- How is boarding/ debarkation on a ship this large? Not really worried about getting on. ( Nothing can be worse that Carnival's general boarding. That goodness I get priority boarding now). My big concern is getting off. We will handle our own luggage, but we will need to get off the ship somewhat quickly to travel up to Port Canaveral for a different cruise. Won't work if I can't get off the ship until noon.

I appreciate any answers I can get. Looking forward to trying out one of the larger ships.

Other cruise lines have standard cabins that are larger. Carnival and Disney for instance. The specific cabin configuration determines whether there is a couch or not. The deck plans glossary tells you what symbol means couch.

You should request a medical fridge for insulin

Yes

Never debarked from Oasis class so can't help there

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The rooms do have coolers however if you need it to be cold then contact special needs at special_needs@rccl.com and arrange for a proper fridge.

You can get the same specialty coffees that you had on the Grandeur at the cafe promenade and I believe Park Cafe.

Express walk off is quite quick. They are well set up to handle the crowds.

Other cruise lines have standard cabins that are larger. Carnival and Disney for instance. The specific cabin configuration determines whether there is a couch or not. The deck plans glossary tells you what symbol means couch.

You should request a medical fridge for insulin

Yes

Never debarked from Oasis class so can't help there

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The deck plan glossary tells you whether your cabin has a sofabed, not if your cabin has a sofa. If the cabin is a connecting cabin, there will sometimes be a chair instead of a sofa.

I have sailed on the Grandeur earlier this year, and really did not enjoy myself. Was my first time with RCI, and just did not have fun. I am going to give RCI another try, and trying out the Oasis. I do have some questions that maybe you folks can answer. I tried to search for te info, and did not really find what I was looking for.

-Looking at booking a D/3 balcony. Compared to other lines, how large are the staterooms. I have read there are problems with floor space. Is there a small couch in the room?

- I purchased a beverage package on my last trip that included sodas/ virgin drinks and coffee at Lattetudes. On the Grandeur, they serve Starbucks, so I got my money's worth. I read on RCI website that the card is not valid at Starbucks on the Oasis. Is there another venue on the Oasis to get specialty coffees that the card will work?

- How is boarding/ debarkation on a ship this large? Not really worried about getting on. ( Nothing can be worse that Carnival's general boarding. That goodness I get priority boarding now). My big concern is getting off. We will handle our own luggage, but we will need to get off the ship somewhat quickly to travel up to Port Canaveral for a different cruise. Won't work if I can't get off the ship until noon.

I appreciate any answers I can get. Looking forward to trying out one of the larger ships.

You can get specialty coffees in cafe promenade and park cafe, your package does not cover coffee from the Starbucks kiosk.

The boarding process for Oasis was very quick and easy. Oasis leaves from terminal 18 which was built to handle these big ships. Getting off the ship was just as easy. If you are going to do self disembark, the lines are long but move right along. You can also request an early departure number and retrieve your bags in the terminal and you will still be off early. We were through security at the airport before 9am when we disembarked Oasis.

Oasis cabins are narrow but we found there was adequate space for 2.

I hope you love Oasis, it was our favorite cruise to date. There is so much to do but there are also lots of places to just relax and listen to music and people watch. We loved sitting in Central Park at night listening to the live music.

Yes, there will be a fridge in your cabin...cool enough to store insulin....I think it only needs to be around 40 degrees....

A D3 cabin is 182 Sq. ft.....almost as large as a Carnival standard cabin.

I agree. We have sailed Oasis and Allure and there have been mini fridges for (our insulin as well... yay diabetic people....!) one thing you should request on day one is a sharps container (which they kindly provide free of charge). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The mini cooler should be fine for your insulin. I store milk, butter, juice in the so called cooler box on every cruise and never have had an issue.

Most if not all ships need you off by 10am as they need to clean and get cabins ready for the boarding guests. I seem to recall that Oasis and Allure dock quite early and thus you should not have an issue getting off and on the road north. Be prepared for very heavy traffic on I-95 especially in Palm Beach County. Since we live on West Coast of FL we take Turnpike.

Happy Sails

Just boarded Oasis yesterday...

Stateroom is smaller than Carnival (since you mentioned Carnival) but is just as roomy. Yes there's a small couch (smaller than any others I've experienced). Less drawer space for clothes but more shelf space, so about equal. And surprisingly, our third cruise on Oasis-class, the balcony is bigger than average; a good 6 feet deep. But I believe that is greatly dependent on deck & location.

Empty fridge, no 'mini-bar' in ours. Cool enough, but just barely. Just saying: Make sure you tell them you need to refrigerate insulin.

Oasis has coffee in one of its beverage packages, does not have the coffee-only card. But Note: The free brewed coffee this cruise is significantly better than any I've ever had on a cruise. I'm saving a few bucks just because of that.

Yes it can be worse (which port specifically did you find so bad?), because boarding Oasis yesterday, 10/22, we were considerably delayed by an inspection (or so I was told). We were seated in the boarding area by about 10:45, but there was no boarding at all till about noon.

Debarkation: You should definitely be off the ship by 10:00 at the very latest, as they usually start letting new passengers board as early as 10:30-ish.

I've experienced both better and worse boarding & debark on other RCI, Celebrity and CCL ships. It often depends on the port as much as the cruise line...

And are you sailing before or after Oasis moves from FLL to Port Canaveral? I presume after, which will probably mean a different boarding experience than any you're reading about here.

Don't all Oasis rooms have a mini bar?

Some of the ships are now leaving the frig empty with a list of items they offer if you want it restocked.

At least that was our experience (for the first time) on the Freedom a couple of weeks ago.

We are leaving from F. Lauderdale next weekend. I got one of those deals we really could not pass up. We get off the Oasis, go to Port Canaveral to take a Carnival Cruise.

Miami is where I have boarding problems, and it has happened more than once. A few years ago we spent almost 3 hours trying to get on Carnival Glory. August- boy was I stupid! A few weeks ago, again on Carnival, 1.5 hours, and we have priority platinum boarding. Maybe it is just Carnival in Miami, but never again. (In Miami).

I want to thank everyone for their relies. Little scary getting on such a large ship, but I know we will have fun. Halloween should be a hoot.

For debarkation, no need to worry, at all. Another poster here recently had the same experience. If you are doing self debarkation, just hop off at 6:45. They start at 6:30 so that clears the line. When we left our cabin at 6:45 - we literally walked right to the gangway, right off the ship, and right up to customs. Not a single person in front of us.

The fear of "a ship this size" is misguided. A lot of people think the ship will be crowded. Embarkation and debarkation a nightmare, etc. etc. It couldn't be further from the truth. The ship will not feel crowded one bit and getting on/off is simple and painless.

For debarkation, no need to worry, at all. Another poster here recently had the same experience. If you are doing self debarkation, just hop off at 6:45. They start at 6:30 so that clears the line. When we left our cabin at 6:45 - we literally walked right to the gangway, right off the ship, and right up to customs. Not a single person in front of us.

The fear of "a ship this size" is misguided. A lot of people think the ship will be crowded. Embarkation and debarkation a nightmare, etc. etc. It couldn't be further from the truth. The ship will not feel crowded one bit and getting on/off is simple and painless.

Totally agree with your comments. The Oasis class ships (we've been on the Oasis and Allure numerous times and will be on the Harmony in December) is absolutely our favorite. No issues with getting on or off. We usually use the express disembarkation because we catch an early flight home. You have to handle your own luggage getting off, but much faster this way, if that is a concern.