Review: Cruise starting Oct 16

Fishkillbill

Oct 16

We left Fishkill a little after 6am in a Hertz rental car. Across the Hudson River and down the thruway to the Garden State Parkway. Now down to the Newark airport. We drove around the airport for a half an hour looking for the gas station to fill the rental car up. Then to Hertz to drop the car off. It cost $41.69 to rent a Nissan Sentra. The trip took almost two hours and that was almost no traffic, (it was a Sunday morning). Now we have to take the stupid train to a terminal to get a cab. It was so much easier the old way, to be able to just take the Hertz shuttle bus to a terminal. The cab to the terminal cost $43.20 + $4.00 toll + $7.80 tip = $55.00 total. A real nice big black guy, (x Marine, wife on the police force), took our bags for a $5.00 tip.

Once inside the terminal we had to show our papers and fill out a form answering a bunch of questions about our health, (if we had a cold, runny nose, stuff like that). Then we were guided to an area with a bunch of rows of chairs. We were about an hour and a half early, so we had time to kill. We passed the time talking to the couple sitting next to us. They were in Concierge class, so they were looking forward to the lunch in the MDR. We had gotten an upgrade from Concierge to Aqua class, so we would be heading to the buffet. We started boarding about ten minutes to 11am.

After walking around the ship for a few minutes we went to the buffet. They had a nice selection of food. We sat down to eat and here comes our concierge friends. He says the only thing of the menu in the MDR that looked eatable was the chocolate cake. So, here that are going to eat in the buffet.

About 1pm they announce that the rooms are ready. We are in room 9067. The room isn’t bad, but not crazy about the large overhang outside. There is a plate with three apples on it and a bottle of campaign. I read someware later that there was supposed to be flowers. No flowers, but they would have just taken up space anyway. The bathroom had stuff in it. Two bars of soap. Nice shower, with the jets and all. One problem though, wife loved it, but I couldn’t get the water temperature low enough. That and the heated mirror made the bathroom too hot.

I asked for ice twice a day which the steward did and the frig to be emptied, which the steward did. I put the two bottles of wine we brought with us, in the frig and it felt warm. I don’t know why the guy didn’t feel it when he removed all the stuff, but what the heck. They replaced the frig the next day.

The suit cases came sometime in the afternoon.

At 6pm we went to Blu for dinner. This starts a trend. We are the first for dinner every night. The filet mignon was great. Service was fantastic. After dinner we went to the theater and caught the last half of the show. This starts another trend. Seeing half the shows. Now back to the room for some TV and early to bed.

So ends the first night of our first cruise for this two old folks.

Oct 16

We left Fishkill a little after 6am in a Hertz rental car. Across the Hudson River and down the thruway to the Garden State Parkway. Now down to the Newark airport. We drove around the airport for a half an hour looking for the gas station to fill the rental car up. Then to Hertz to drop the car off. It cost $41.69 to rent a Nissan Sentra. The trip took almost two hours and that was almost no traffic, (it was a Sunday morning). Now we have to take the stupid train to a terminal to get a cab. It was so much easier the old way, to be able to just take the Hertz shuttle bus to a terminal. The cab to the terminal cost $43.20 + $4.00 toll + $7.80 tip = $55.00 total. A real nice big black guy, (x Marine, wife on the police force), took our bags for a $5.00 tip.

Once inside the terminal we had to show our papers and fill out a form answering a bunch of questions about our health, (if we had a cold, runny nose, stuff like that). Then we were guided to an area with a bunch of rows of chairs. We were about an hour and a half early, so we had time to kill. We passed the time talking to the couple sitting next to us. They were in Concierge class, so they were looking forward to the lunch in the MDR. We had gotten an upgrade from Concierge to Aqua class, so we would be heading to the buffet. We started boarding about ten minutes to 11am.

After walking around the ship for a few minutes we went to the buffet. They had a nice selection of food. We sat down to eat and here comes our concierge friends. He says the only thing of the menu in the MDR that looked eatable was the chocolate cake. So, here that are going to eat in the buffet.

About 1pm they announce that the rooms are ready. We are in room 9067. The room isn’t bad, but not crazy about the large overhang outside. There is a plate with three apples on it and a bottle of campaign. I read someware later that there was supposed to be flowers. No flowers, but they would have just taken up space anyway. The bathroom had stuff in it. Two bars of soap. Nice shower, with the jets and all. One problem though, wife loved it, but I couldn’t get the water temperature low enough. That and the heated mirror made the bathroom too hot.

I asked for ice twice a day which the steward did and the frig to be emptied, which the steward did. I put the two bottles of wine we brought with us, in the frig and it felt warm. I don’t know why the guy didn’t feel it when he removed all the stuff, but what the heck. They replaced the frig the next day.

At 6pm we went to Blu for dinner. This starts a trend. We are the first for dinner every night. The filet mignon was great. Service was fantastic. After dinner we went to the theater and caught the last half of the show. This starts another trend. Seeing half the shows. Now back to the room for some TV and early to bed.

I don't see anywhere a mention of which ship you are reviewing but maybe I just missed it!!??

OK, I think I get it. What size do you suggest?

I know everyone is being snarky, and I enjoyed your post so far, but for some reason your original post *is* coming out on this message board very very small typeface. Just yours, not anyone else's. I think the suggestion made was valid, not snarky. It probably wasn't intentional on your part, but like I said, it is very very small print and hard to read small and all in one paragraph. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Also a note, they aren't real refrigerators, just coolers. Don't expect anything to get completely cold like at home.

Edited by ClaudiaB

I know everyone is being snarky, and I enjoyed your post so far, but for some reason your original post *is* coming out on this message board very very small typeface. Just yours, not anyone else's. I think the suggestion made was valid, not snarky. It probably wasn't intentional on your part, but like I said, it is very very small print and hard to read small and all in one paragraph. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Also a note, they aren't real refrigerators, just coolers. Don't expect anything to get completely cold like at home.

Claudia,

Computers are funny things. My message comes out the same type as yours. I did cut and paste from a Word document. It looks like some people's computers don't like it.

Bill

Oct 16

Claudia,

Computers are funny things. My message comes out the same type as yours. I did cut and paste from a Word document. It looks like some people's computers don't like it.

Bill

When you cut and paste from something created in a word document there is sometimes trouble with formatting. There is an option to change it.

I didn't want to sound snarly either so didn't post it before but it's really hard to read it all in one big paragraph, would you mind sticking in a couple line feeds if that is OK with you.

Hope you are enjoying it all.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Oct 16