s&s cards in the mailbox???not to secure...

cruzn buckeye

What port was this at? Every cruise I have been on in Miami the procedure has been this:

Show boarding pass at the door to enter terminal.

Stop by desks at the front, show Passport, have it scanned.

Bags go through X-ray machine, then people through metal detector.

If you are Priority, go to Captains Lounge, hand in boarding pass to the lady there, have a seat and wait to be called by name. Go up and get S&S card.

If not D/P/Suite, go up escalator and get in the general line. If FTTF, show boarding pass and get in that line. Get S&S card from agent.

Wait until your group is called and board the ship.

The table thing happened in Boston when we boarded the NCL Dream. Our travel documents were always checked when we checked in at the counter and that is where we've received our cards.

Yup - definitely way too many Chicken Littles declaring "The sky is falling!".

Other ships on other lines have successfully handled issuance of "Sign & Sail" cards in exactly the same way as Carnival is trying on the Splendor without uncontrolled pandemonium, mayhem, theft and delay in getting that first all-important beverage.

We can put a man on the moon... I think we can figure out how to obtain our Sign & Sail card from the cabin mailbox.

Unless of course you are on a ship that doesn't have cabin mailboxes;) (like Fascination). I can see why people are concerned, even if I don't share the concern myself.

The table thing happened in Boston when we boarded the NCL Dream. Our travel documents were always checked when we checked in at the counter and that is where we've received our cards.

That might be the difference then. For Carnival in Miami it's exactly the way I described. So I can see where it would speed things up as the second line would no longer be needed.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I would assume (yes, I know what that means) then that Carnival will come up with an alternative.

We received notices under the door but how do you get your S&S off the floor if you can't open the door without the S&S card?:D Yes, I am sure there will be a solution if this becomes a permanent thing.

Unless of course you are on a ship that doesn't have cabin mailboxes;) (like Fascination). I can see why people are concerned, even if I don't share the concern myself.

Well then that could be an issue.

It wouldn't be if they installed mailboxes outside all cabin doors on ships that don't have them.

While Sparks can see why people are concerned, I can't. It's just another opportunity for people to .... oh, never mind.

It wouldn't be if they installed mailboxes outside all cabin doors on ships that don't have them.

While Sparks can see why people are concerned, I can't. It's just another opportunity for people to .... oh, never mind.

So let them (since you can't stop them to begin with).

Edited by sparks1093

And eliminate the whole second line. If you have to show your ID at the first desk when you enter the terminal before going through the X-ray machine (which you do), then the whole other line once you go up the escalators is not necessary.

Wouldn't you still have to get in line to check in or did I miss they were doing that different too?

Your "check in" happens at the first stop from my understanding.

That would make more sense if that is the case. I couldn't figure out how it was saving Carnival anything if you still had to check in anyways.

Show your boarding pass, get in line. Show passport and "check in". Through security. Then up to sit and wait to board.

My Aunt just got off RC Anthem. They are using this system as well. Everything was done on an iPad. One of her keys was at her door the other was in the light switch in her cabin. She say it went very smoothly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers

I've never heard of that possibility. In any event I see nothing to be gained by having the S&S at the cabin and not handing them out at check-in.

Can you say cutbacks, I knew you could.... this time in shore-side personnel. Less people needed at check in since now you don't have to have your photo taken. In theory the lines will move faster, hence they can process the same number of pax, in the same amount of time with less personnel... ;)

Edited by astropilot

Can you say cutbacks, I knew you could.... this time in shore-side personnel. Less people needed at check in since now you don't have to have your photo taken. In theory the lines will move faster, hence they can process the same number of pax, in the same amount of time with less personnel... ;)

The photo thing has been around at least the last 2 or 3 cruises I have been on. But it's really no big deal. They can take it right then and there when you check in before security if needed. There's really no need for the second line IMHO anyway. If you did online check in, once your IDs are verified, that's it. Go wait to get on the ship.

If it does make the line move faster than it would be worth it even if it was a "cutback" (but it's always been my understanding that the port personnel didn't work for the cruise line but worked for the port).

I don't have a problem with this. Excursion tickets were once routinely left in my "mailbox". Never had a problem with that.

If my passport photo comes up when the card is swiped for purchases, anyone who stole S&S cards would get detected.

Since this change doesn't result in any cutbacks in service, I'm all for letting Carnival try it out. Just like staggered check in times, many will moan and groan, but once it gets established, things quiet down and ships cruise on.

The worst that could happen is the distribution to all the cabins gets screwed up and takes more time than handing out the cards at checkin.

In a few years time, the next change will be using key less doors. Passengers will use an app on their phone to enter their cabins and "sign" for purchases. Welcome to the future!

This is a trail on the Splendor only right now.

I personal think it is to keep people from being able to access their cabins before 1:30pm. This allows for more time for the cabin stewards to get the cabins ready if needed, now that the cabin stewards have more cabin to maintain and less people trying to go to their cabins before they are supposed to. Also more people out on decks till 1:30pm = more money spent before nap time. Remember Carnival does not do anything that does not have a $ sign in front of it.

I don't have a problem with this. Excursion tickets were once routinely left in my "mailbox". Never had a problem with that.

If my passport photo comes up when the card is swiped for purchases, anyone who stole S&S cards would get detected.

Since this change doesn't result in any cutbacks in service, I'm all for letting Carnival try it out. Just like staggered check in times, many will moan and groan, but once it gets established, things quiet down and ships cruise on.

The worst that could happen is the distribution to all the cabins gets screwed up and takes more time than handing out the cards at checkin.

In a few years time, the next change will be using key less doors. Passengers will use an app on their phone to enter their cabins and "sign" for purchases. Welcome to the future!

Now that would be a problem- I don't carry my phone when I'm on vacation.:cool:

This is a trail on the Splendor only right now.

I personal think it is to keep people from being able to access their cabins before 1:30pm. This allows for more time for the cabin stewards to get the cabins ready if needed, now that the cabin stewards have more cabin to maintain and less people trying to go to their cabins before they are supposed to. Also more people out on decks till 1:30pm = more money spent before nap time. Remember Carnival does not do anything that does not have a $ sign in front of it.

If that's the case then it's not any different than it is now. If you aren't D/P/FTTF, then you shouldn't be accessing your cabin early anyway. I say hooray and I hope it does cut down on the people going to their cabins early when they are explicitly told not to.

Here is the one thing I see happening a few times. A smart a@# goes down the hall and plays cabin switch with the keys and people end up with wrong cabin keys. Not saying this will happen a lot but it will happen I am sure.

That's not a concern for me. Apparently it hasn't happened on the Splendor or the other cruise lines that already do it this way. At least not that I've heard. And if it does, then search the other cabin mailboxes until you find yours. Maybe it got mixed up by accident. The halls won't be abandoned as the stewards are still hanging around anyway to meet their guests and put the finishing touches on things.

I think it's a lot of speculation on the "what ifs". I understand people don't like change, but come on. If it saves time in the long run and eliminates a line which I never understood why there were 2 we had to go through anyway, then good.

If that's the case then it's not any different than it is now. If you aren't D/P/FTTF, then you shouldn't be accessing your cabin early anyway. I say hooray and I hope it does cut down on the people going to their cabins early when they are explicitly told not to.

True - but you know there are "those" people who don't think the rules apply to them, and go ahead and put their carry-ons in their rooms anyway. [emoji57]

Sent from my Galaxy 4

True - but you know there are "those" people who don't think the rules apply to them, and go ahead and put their carry-ons in their rooms anyway. [emoji57]

Sent from my Galaxy 4

Yes I know. That's why I hope they don't put the cabin keys in the mailboxes for those that aren't D/P/FTTF until all the cabins are ready at 1:30 or whatever time they announce it. This is a genius idea if it will really work this way.

That's not a concern for me. Apparently it hasn't happened on the Splendor or the other cruise lines that already do it this way. At least not that I've heard. And if it does, then search the other cabin mailboxes until you find yours. Maybe it got mixed up by accident. The halls won't be abandoned as the stewards are still hanging around anyway to meet their guests and put the finishing touches on things.

I think it's a lot of speculation on the "what ifs". I understand people don't like change, but come on. If it saves time in the long run and eliminates a line which I never understood why there were 2 we had to go through anyway, then good.

I am not saying it has happen yet at all. I just see someone thinking it would be a funny thing to do and doing it. Will it happen every cruise? No. Will it happen at some point? Yes. Will it be funny? No. Should it stop them from doing this? No.

I personal don't see a big issue at all. Cards are sealed. If the seal is broken, you are instructed to go to guest services and exchange them. The only this I am not crazy about is having to carry a piece of paper around until I get my SS card. But it is not the end of the world, not at all.