Curious about Empress and/or Brilliance Experiences and Travel in March?

Hi everyone,

We are trying to decide between Empress and Brilliance for March 2017 travel, we have never been on either and are already booked for Empress because its a really good deal but im leaning towards Brilliance because its so much newer and larger. Anyway, Id like to hear from anyone that has been on Empress and also anyone who has traveled in March since this will be our 1st time cruising at that time. Is it too cold to enjoy pools or walk on deck, do we need pants etc. Leaving from Florida and going to Caribbean, either Key west/Labadee or Cozumel/Grand Cayman depending on which ship we choose. We have already been to these places except for Grand Cayman, another reason I can't decide lol. Thanks for the help and happy cruising :)

We've travelled for the past 5 years in March and never had to wear pants. The one thing that I would caution you about is that March is peak spring break time. There will be lots of families with kids and on the shorter cruises you may find many university students there on their own. Personally I would choose Brilliance.

Oh I forgot about spring break :( Yes I am leaning more towards Brilliance but hubby mentioned to me about an Elvis cruise that is also in late Feb - March on Freedom, he's a huge elvis fanatic and he's been wanting to do that cruise. I have to decide by mon, decisions decisions lol.

Brilliance all the way! If you are looking for a large balcony at reasonable price look at deck 7 before the 1st bank of elevators. Brilliance is such an easy ship and great size. Had a great 14 days last Spring. Staff was awesome.

If you find Key West in the itinerary try to make it first stop. Ended spending too much of the am going through customs for clearence coming back from the Bahamas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ok so we chose the Empress, Hubby's choice so now to find cheap flights to Miami as we have never been there or to that port. Anyone that has been to that port, how is it?

Miami is weird and what airline you fly/via what flies into Miami. I was doing this during the height of the winter from MA, so I wanted direct to Florida. I ended up having to fly into fort Lauderdale and getting transportation down. I took towncar seemed a little pricey, but driver's great and efficient. I end up staying at doubletree decent and they had a shuttle for 15pp to get to Majesty.

Play with flight options on net to find what meets your needs. I ended up swa down, and Delta back, and wished I was on JB the whole time. I hate the SWA games. I have never figured them out correctly, and yes they still have stupid fees, not bag fees.

Enjoy your time on Empress.

I am also booked again this Spring and actually next, but it is slightly inconvenient getting from Vero over. Anything on the same coast is easier. Wished they would have more Radiance class on that side, but love love the class. Although I really enjoyed Adventure this fall.

Miami is weird and what airline you fly/via what flies into Miami. I was doing this during the height of the winter from MA, so I wanted direct to Florida. I ended up having to fly into fort Lauderdale and getting transportation down. I took towncar seemed a little pricey, but driver's great and efficient. I end up staying at doubletree decent and they had a shuttle for 15pp to get to Majesty.

Play with flight options on net to find what meets your needs. I ended up swa down, and Delta back, and wished I was on JB the whole time. I hate the SWA games. I have never figured them out correctly, and yes they still have stupid fees, not bag fees.

Enjoy your time on Empress.

Thanks for the info, we normally fly Southwest but they don't go to Miami from BNA, not sure about JetBlue as we have never flown on them.

Thanks for the info, we normally fly Southwest but they don't go to Miami from BNA, not sure about JetBlue as we have never flown on them.

JB does not go to Miami. It is an AA or United base for the most part. Then Caribbean air in for the islands. Basically it is a hard fit. Requires transport down. I personally wanted transpot on my time. Play and try to find! Florida is not as easy as they want it to be.

Ok so we chose the Empress, Hubby's choice so now to find cheap flights to Miami as we have never been there or to that port. Anyone that has been to that port, how is it?

Enjoy the Empress, but keep the Brilliance on your wish list for a future occasion.

Radiance Class are our favorite ships - they're small enough that you feel as if you're at sea, not on a floating shopping mall. They have great elevators (except that they put the day of the week on the elevator floor so you can't help watching your cruise approach the end).

They always seem to have competent and cheerful crew members, so maybe the smaller size of the ship makes it easier to maintain good morale.

Hope you get to enjoy one of the Radiance Class ships in the future.

Margy

After hubby and I discussed it more, we decided to change to the Brilliance and go out of Tampa, I think we made the right choice and deposit is paid!! We have been to Tampa several times and love the airport but have never been to that port. Thanks for all the input, we are set to sail on Brilliance now and will not be changing it. We will be going back to Cozumel and to Grand Cayman for the 1st time, never been there and this will make 3 times to Cozumel but hubby already said he's not getting off the boat there lol. :rolleyes:

After hubby and I discussed it more, we decided to change to the Brilliance and go out of Tampa, I think we made the right choice and deposit is paid!! We have been to Tampa several times and love the airport but have never been to that port. Thanks for all the input, we are set to sail on Brilliance now and will not be changing it. We will be going back to Cozumel and to Grand Cayman for the 1st time, never been there and this will make 3 times to Cozumel but hubby already said he's not getting off the boat there lol. :rolleyes:

Congrats you'll really enjoy her. All the amazing things she has to offer.

LOVED LOVED LOVED the Radiance OTS in Alaska!! All caps for a reason. There was just so much glass everywhere and the ship was perfect for Alaska. We were booked on the Explorer OTS and I'm glad we switched to the Radiance. Ship was just beautiful. Enjoy it! We sail on the Empress in 2 1/2 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
Oh I forgot about spring break :( Yes I am leaning more towards Brilliance but hubby mentioned to me about an Elvis cruise that is also in late Feb - March on Freedom, he's a huge elvis fanatic and he's been wanting to do that cruise. I have to decide by mon, decisions decisions lol.

My husband and I will be on Brilliance on the March 6, 2017 sailing. We chose that one cause it's early enough the month that there should not be many, if any spring breakers. Either empty nesters like us or honeymooners. Hope this help. Hope to see your there. If you do come, get on the roll call. :)

My husband and I will be on Brilliance on the March 6, 2017 sailing. We chose that one cause it's early enough the month that there should not be many, if any spring breakers. Either empty nesters like us or honeymooners. Hope this help. Hope to see your there. If you do come, get on the roll call. :)

That is definitely a college spring break week.

Thankfully the spring breakers will be more on the Freedoms, Voyagers, Oasis, Empress, and Majesty. Then tend to like more toys, or ultra cheap fares. Thankfully you shouldn't be bombard. You will deal/see it in Cozumel.

That is definitely a college spring break week.

OK. In our area is not spring break to the following week. There is actually a website that tells you when colleges go on spring break ever what I could tell Moews don't go to the following week when we're coming back. i'm actually more worried about families with small kids than I am college students. Very much looking forward to a break in the Midwest winter. Bon voyage

OK. In our area is not spring break to the following week. There is actually a website that tells you when colleges go on spring break ever what I could tell Moews don't go to the following week when we're coming back. i'm actually more worried about families with small kids than I am college students. Very much looking forward to a break in the Midwest winter. Bon voyage

I just know 2 years ago Liberty was taken over by the Florida Gators during that time frame. It was a wild 5 day party ride. The people on Brilliance were glad they weren't dealing, but when you go ashore you may find them. I might suggest in Cozumel to do Nachi CoCom. College kids shouldn't be there.

You have to figure the whole country is staggered from mid Feb to mid April.

Brilliance is somewhat less or more mixed, because Tampa just isn't that easy to get over there. I was supposed to be on that sailing, but bagged it because family is on the other coast. If I found a good deal I would go on East Coast ports. Then I am dealing with school break issues.

For me personally. I am just ditching plans til September now. To many things are just way known.