Anthem of the Seas Tips

This is not a review (as everyone has their own opinions), but I think some helpful tips for future cruisers on the Anthem. Some background: This was our 24th cruise (10/20-29/16), we are easy-going and don't sweat the small stuff. Below are some things that I think others may find helpful (or you may not):

Parking at Bayonne: When you arrive at port, if you are able to wheel your suitcase a short distance, do not drive up to unload your suitcases, but go directly to the parking garage, grab your parking ticket (and take with you on cruise as when you return you will need to pay right outside the garage at the machine and you will then put that paid ticket in the machine as you exit with your car). There are elevators to use so you don't have to walk the steps with your luggage.

Dining Reservations: The on-line reservations opened in February for us (~8 mos out). Make your dining reservations right away as you can always change them once on board. If you didn't make these prior to cruising, go to Deck 3 Chic and you can make your reservations for any restaurant there -- they were open from 9am-4pm.

Entertainment Reservations: The on-line reservations opened in July for us (~3 mos out). Make your I-Fly, North Star and shows right away as they tend to close off/on as people book. If you didn't make these reservations prior to boarding, when you board go right to the Theatre to make these reservations as there are dedicated employees sitting these to do this. Also, they can book The Puzzle Room - they do not advertise this at all and it is like an Escape Room where there are a group of people that work through clues to escape from a locked room (I think ours was called Back to the Future).

Bumping Cars: They were not too crowed for our cruise, but on kid intensive cruises I would line up ~1/2 hr prior. The line starts in the corner by the "Giant Giraffe" (but this is outside and only used as a point of reference).

Shows: People started lining up some times up to an hour before a show. Typically the doors opened ~45 mins before a show in the Theatre. For We Will Rock You and The Gift in the Theatre you must have a reservation, but they will let non-resv in ~15 mins prior to show. For Spectre's Cabaret in the 270, seats were hard to come by if you didn't arrive early & they DO come around to check and see if you have a reservations.

Tipping: Even though the gratuities are automatically added to your bill and 18% gratuity for drinks, we didn't add additional tip to the bill, BUT instead gave the waiter $1-2 directly to them as if you add it to the bill, it doesn't go to just that waiter that helped you, but is split among the wait staff. We also tip additional to the room attendant and specialty restaurant waiter. I have been told by employees that they appreciate this much more.

Terry Robes: If you like the white robes but are not at a level to get them automatically, just ask your room attendant and it will usually end up in your room that night!

Staff: Talk to them, ask them how their day is, how long they have been on board, when do they go home, about their family or home country, they love to talk to you about themselves & country as they are proud of them and not many people engage in a conversation with them -- they will forever remember your names and go out of their way to help you.

Dining Room: If you are in one DR and they don't have what you want to eat in there, but it is in another DR, ask if you can get that meal instead. One time our table mates wanted the lobster tail that wasn't offered in our DR and another woman wanted bread sticks and the waiters accommodated both of them!

Debarkation: If you are able to wheel your own luggage, definitely sign up for the self-carry that starts at 7:30am (we stood in line with luggage by the 270 Lounge starting ~7:10am and there was already a long line). We were on the road heading home by 7:45am!

Miscellaneous:

-Don't listen to other people's reviews. Everyone has their own opinion, some are MUCH more critical than others and nothing pleases them. As I said before, do not sweat the small stuff or things that you cannot control (we missed going to Bermuda because of storms, but we were credited back the port charges and taxes).

-There was no Tribute band on our cruise.

-Special Entertainment were comedians Rondell Sheridan and Jim David; Ventriloquist Ron Lucas; Singer Kenny James & Not Really the Three Tenors

-On our 9-night cruise, the shows/times were as follows (these may change for you):

o We Will Rock You - Day 7 8pm; Day 8 2:30pm & 7:30pm

o The Gift - Day 2 6pm & 8:45pm; Day 3 7:30pm

o Spectra's Cabaret - Day 2 7:30pm & 10:45pm; Day 3 9pm & 10:45pm; Day 4 7pm; Day 6 7pm; Day 7 7:30pm & 9:30pm

o Welcome Aboard Show - Day 1 7pm & 9pm

o Comedy Shows - Day 3 11:45pm; Day 7 11:30pm; Day 8 10:15pm;

o Ventriloquist Ron Lucas - Day 5 8:30pm & 10:30pm

o Not Really The Three Tenors - Day 6 8:30pm & 10:30pm

o Singer Kenny James - Day 9 7pm & 9pm

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

We were on the same cruise and loved every minute of it. Since you are giving helpful tips I'd like to add one: if you make a reservation for Northstar and are a no-show they will charge you $25 on your seapass card. I did not see that mentioned in the compass (perhaps I missed it) but we had to cancel a reservation because of a delay with the doors not operating properly and the girl told us she would mark it down that we were there so we would not get charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by riviera

Thanks for the tips. Sailing in January and driving to port from MA. Was going to use top carrier on roof of SUV, but can't find anyone with knowledge of garage. In your opinion does garage fit a SUV with luggage carrier? Because it's January I'm thinking snow could happen before, during, or after our cruise and don't feel like returning from a vacation and shoveling out a car....thanks for one more tip if possible.

Thanks for the tips. Sailing in January and driving to port from MA. Was going to use top carrier on roof of SUV, but can't find anyone with knowledge of garage. In your opinion does garage fit a SUV with luggage carrier? Because it's January I'm thinking snow could happen before, during, or after our cruise and don't feel like returning from a vacation and shoveling out a car....thanks for one more tip if possible.

Definitely. Many people had them and the ceilings are very high. If you get a parking spot higher than level "one", when you disembark, pull your car down to level one. There is a large spot where everyone loads and unloads the cars. This way, everyone does not have to schlep all of the luggage up and down the ramps.

This was one of my big hanging questions for our cruise in 2 weeks! I'm so psyched you answered. You really think our Toyota Highlander AND the car top carrier will fit?

Definitely. Many people had them and the ceilings are very high. If you get a parking spot higher than level "one", when you disembark, pull your car down to level one. There is a large spot where everyone loads and unloads the cars. This way, everyone does not have to schlep all of the luggage up and down the ramps.

Questions for my Anthem December 16th sailing I wonder about:

1) If I get a spa treatment am I allowed to use the Spa afterward for free?

2) Would going Solo to specialty restaurant Wonderland be terrible? I think part of the fun might be seeing what everyone gets and I'd be sitting alone. [though hopefully not!]

3) Why is Yoga always at 7 or 8 AM? It's supposed to be vacation! I would do it...but not that early.

Why would you have to schlep luggage up and down ramps. There are elevators.

2) Would going Solo to specialty restaurant Wonderland be terrible? I think part of the fun might be seeing what everyone gets and I'd be sitting alone. [though hopefully not!]

I've done Wonderland solo three times. And Jamie's 5 including lunches. If you want to go for it.

This was one of my big hanging questions for our cruise in 2 weeks! I'm so psyched you answered. You really think our Toyota Highlander AND the car top carrier will fit?

Absolutely!!!! Plenty of ceiling room. Have a great cruise and have a 9am Bloody Mary for me and a couple of lobster tails at dinner!. :):)

What is the difference? It must mean something to you so I shall reiterate. Your family/loved ones do not have to schlep all of your luggage up the ramps/ELEVATORS. Right next to the cash/credit machines is a very large space for everyone to wait while you pull your vehicle up and you can load it up!!!! Better?

1) If I get a spa treatment am I allowed to use the Spa afterward for free?

3) Why is Yoga always at 7 or 8 AM? It's supposed to be vacation! I would do it...but not that early.

Kk

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Forums mobile app

Staff: Talk to them, ask them how their day is, how long they have been on board, when do they go home, about their family or home country, they love to talk to you about themselves & country as they are proud of them and not many people engage in a conversation with them -- they will forever remember your names and go out of their way to help you.

This is great. We talk to many of the staff and try to learn a little about them. What some people forget is the staff is away from their home country/family for sometimes months. Most people in that situation love seeing genuine interest from others. I know I did when I was in the Navy and had to go on deployment.

Do the puzzles in the puzzle room change or are they always the same?

The puzzles do not change. If by chance you can not get a reservation to the Puzzle Room on the Cruise Planner, as soon as you board, go immediately to the Royal Theater on Deck 4, tables are set up with crew members taking reservations for various activities.

• 1 month later...
The puzzles do not change. If by chance you can not get a reservation to the Puzzle Room on the Cruise Planner, as soon as you board, go immediately to the Royal Theater on Deck 4, tables are set up with crew members taking reservations for various activities.

Do they do dinning reservations in the theatre too? Is there a "hub" to view the weeks MDR menus for the week and specialty restaurant menus in case one wants to make some changes? Or do you have to go to each venue to do your homework?

[i know I saw a post about it already, but darned if I can find it!]

HLR

Thanks for the info.

I think that I saw somewhere that there is a wrist band that is instead of a key card. Is that correct? ...

The WOW (wrist) band is in addition to the key card. WOW band use is optional.