visa for Australian/New Zealand cruise

matamanoa

My DH and I are planning a cruise to Australia/New Zealand that includes a stop in Hobart, Tasmania in 2018. Which is the best month to do the cruise in and will we need visas? When we traveled to St. Petersburg, Russis a couple of years ago, we didn't need to get a visa as long as we took shore excursions with Princess. Will that be the case when cruising to the above countries?

Thank you for any advice and information.

Barb

My DH and I are planning a cruise to Australia/New Zealand that includes a stop in Hobart, Tasmania in 2018. Which is the best month to do the cruise in and will we need visas? When we traveled to St. Petersburg, Russis a couple of years ago, we didn't need to get a visa as long as we took shore excursions with Princess. Will that be the case when cruising to the above countries?

Barb

November is pretty good.

December January is major school holiday period.

Now sure about Canadians needing visas but assume so. This site should give you some info http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1

We are Canadian. It may be referred to as a Visa but after filling out two of them I really think that it more closely resembles a pre clearance document.

There are some on line firms that offer the service. Don't bother with them as you will be spending money for nothing.

Go on to the Gov't web site, have you passport and credit card handy. Complete the form, pay the small fee, and you will immediately receive the approval (unless of course you are on THE LIST). Print the page and shove it in your passport. That is it. Not a big deal. I suspect that it is a way for the Australians to offset the cost of their security screening process.

It takes all of about five minutes from start to finish. The Aussies have this down pat. Just wish a few other countries did too.

Two years ago we did not need anything for New Zealand. A word of caution...do not disembark the ship with any fruit or raw veg on your person. Big no no that they take very seriously. Have a great time. If we did not live in Canada Australia would be our number one country on our list to emigrate to. Wonderful country, warm welcoming people.

Edited by iancal

Make sure you go to the official government site. Google spits out lots of others with similar names.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Appl/Electronic-travel-authority

Canada and the USA have a similar online application called ETA (Canada) and ESTA (USA) for certain countries whose citizens do not need a visa to enter Canada or the USA as tourists for a limited time. And again, apply only on the official government site if you need ETA/ESTA.

The last time I looked, I did not need ETA to go to New Zealand (US passport). I will check again a few weeks before we leave. It wouldn't be the first time for us that entrance requirements to a country changed between the time of booking and the beginning of a cruise.

Barb

You can check to see what each Counties requirement are at

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

I would check again at 3- 6mths before the trip things can change

You do need an ETA for Australia

Did the same trip last spring (2016) Nothing required for NZ, but Australia required a Visa. Easy to get online from their govt.

BUT, make sure you get to your airport REALLY early. When we arrived at JFK we were told by the airline (Cathay Pacific) that one of our visa's "did not exist" (Despite the fact that we had the paperwork from the govt website with us)

Turns out it was not a horror show, they can "apply" for a new one at the air port, but it does take about an hour. (And you get to pay again)

Weather wise, we went in late January early February and the weather was absolutely perfect. (Including Hobart)