Just off Freedom of Seas

bubba2012

Just a brief insight from our trip:

Western Caribbean 10/23-10/30.

Overall, the cruise was pleasant although it rained nearly everyday, with Saturday the last sea day being the most. But that can't be controlled.

Sabor - ate there twice and it's was excellent, including the service.

Chops - unfortunately the worst meal and service ever. The steaks were tasteless and the service was horrible. Even had to complain after sitting for 2 hours and only be served 2 salads, and 1 appetizer. We were given the fine dining speech from server and manager, and how busy they were. I understand the process of fine dining but this was not it. Would not recommend nor would go back.

Deluxe drink package - overall, worth the money especially if you drink speciality drinks. At $10-$12 a piece those add up quick. It did include Starbucks from the Cafe Promanade so that was a bonus as there has been some debate about if it was included.

Windjammer - to be expected for crowds, but overall the food was good and a nice selection to chose from. Didn't eat in MDR so no info.

Entertainment - overall good, the show Once Upon A Time and Ice Skating show was really good. The magician/illusionist show wasn't that good. Sat up front on left side and was able to see wires that held people while floating, and parts of act that wasn't concealed very well.

Overall, nice cruise with RC and would travel again.

We'll be sailing Freedom next Saturday and appreciate your comments. We were thinking about Chops on the first night. Do you think your experience was due to an increase in activity because of the BOGO promotion?

We did have the BOGO, but that shouldn't excuse poor service/food. RC offers the deal so they should anticipate higher demand. Honestly, the filet was tasteless so that's really disappointing. We witnessed other tables receive a higher level of service and we felt our server didn't come close. 30 minutes into service I had to ask for a wine menu, otherwise all we were offered was water. When we spoke to the manager he offered 20% off but I explained it was already paid for with offer. His response was "Oh". It just wasn't a good experience for us, and if I were paying list price I would've been even more upset.

Forgot to mention I had wifi "surf/steam" package. It's not worth price as streaming is virtually impossible. I was only able to stream on day 1 while still in Port Canaveral watching NFL. Otherwise it's useless. Surfing the net was not an issue though, only one night it wasn't working at all but it was during storm.

Also, ate at Johnny Rockets and it was a change of pace. Good burgers, and service. It's worth $6.95 for all you can eat but didn't include milkshakes. Those were BOGO, but broke down to $2.25 each.

Wow. That is strange that you had such awful service in Chops.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

It may have been just an unlucky occurrence as I know it does happen, nothing is perfect. But I did expect a better experience. I did witness other tables receiving exceptional service. Maybe ours was having an off night. But more importantly the food wasn't that great. I've had better steaks at lesser restaurants.

I agree with you about the service at Chops. Not good at all. However our food was great. The filet could have been cut with a butter knife because it was so tender. I enjoyed it with the wine reduction sauce that added flavour. Food taste is an individual thing though. So I don't disagree with your view.

Forgot to mention I had wifi "surf/steam" package. It's not worth price as streaming is virtually impossible. I was only able to stream on day 1 while still in Port Canaveral watching NFL. Otherwise it's useless. Surfing the net was not an issue though, only one night it wasn't working at all but it was during storm.

I'm on a Jan 28th sailing, kind of disconcerting about the streaming ability or lack of you had. :( Did you try and voice apps like Skype? Also curious, what video services were you using by chance? I know some are really bandwidth hungry, while others are quite lite and can easily get away with less then 1 Mbps.

Edit: Did they have any other shows or just Once Upon A time?

Edited by Kovster

I'm on a Jan 28th sailing, kind of disconcerting about the streaming ability or lack of you had. :( Did you try and voice apps like Skype? Also curious, what video services were you using by chance? I know some are really bandwidth hungry, while others are quite lite and can easily get away with less then 1 Mbps.

Other have reported that the Stream package download speed can be up to 7 Mbs with variations probably due to demand. It could be that the recent marketing and lowering of package prices have gotten so many folks wifi that the system performance is declining. Freedom does have the new O3B internet so regular surfing should be fairly good. RCI may be trying to rectify some of this by the elimination of all packages for more than 2 devices.

Why do people always pick apart a post. If this person had a bad experience they had a bad experience. Don't try and justify it for them. Not everyone has the same experience every time.Back off and let them tell their truth.

Thank you

The last time we were on Freedom, two years ago, we also had terrible service in Chops. Our waiter only had one other table, a larger family, he was catering to them and practically ignoring us, plus he kept pushing us to buy a bottle of wine even after we told him my DH doesn't drink. It was just the two of us. Haven't been back to a Chops on any ship since.

The last time we were on Freedom, two years ago, we also had terrible service in Chops. Our waiter only had one other table, a larger family, he was catering to them and practically ignoring us, plus he kept pushing us to buy a bottle of wine even after we told him my DH doesn't drink. It was just the two of us. Haven't been back to a Chops on any ship since.

Similar experience here, also about 2 years ago. Large wedding party together in the center of the room was loud and obnoxious. Made a "date night" for my wife and I about pointless. We don't get time to ourselves much and unfortunately that particular night wasn't any different. Food was average. Nothing spectacular.

Edit: Did they have any other shows or just Once Upon A time?

I did multiple speed test everyday, various parts of ship and it was always between 5-7 Mbps. I tried Directv, ESPN, Netflix apps with no success on any day. Perhaps it needs more, not sure. One evening during a trivia game the staff member running game says if anyone with wifi package thinks they'll be able to look up answers, you won't because it's not good. Kinda made me feel like I wasted my money when a crew member mocks the wifi.

They did have other shows, just don't recall the names and didn't go to all of them. But overall, what we saw was good and entertaining.

I wasn't looking to spark a debate over Chops. I just offered my experience. I read posts prior to my sailing both good and bad. But I still decided to try it, and it just wasn't a good experience. I didn't give a detailed explaination of the dining experience but just a general statement. But I will say this.

The next morning while we were walking into Windjammer for breakfast around 8am. They usually have people from the speciality restaurants drumming up business. Well on this morning we past the server who waited on us. Being early and not really paying attention, I smiled and said good morning not realizing who it was. Well she rolled her eyes and looked away and then it clicked who it was. So the attitude that translated to bad service extended the following morning for no reason.

Just goes to show, Chops is very hit or miss. For $35/pp though, it should be more hit.

Everything I've been hearing and reading about the internet connection has been disappointing. For this so called upgrade in the system, it should be just like Oasis Class and it isn't. Oh well, the recent sale made it worth buying... email, news and weather is all I really want... the stream was bonus.

Thanks for the info you've provided. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by The Grumpus

Just goes to show, Chops is very hit or miss. For $35/pp though, it should be more hit.

Everything I've been hearing and reading about the internet connection has been disappointing. For this so called upgrade in the system, it should be just like Oasis Class and it isn't. Oh well, the recent sale made it worth buying... email, news and weather is all I really want... the stream was bonus.

Thanks for the info you've provided. [emoji106]

You are 100% correct on Chops. The service and food are far too inconsistent. Inconsistency is an indication of weak management in the food industry. Please, I don't need to know if you had a good experience; that is not the issue

Our worst Chops experience was also on Freedom (our favorite ship!) Female maitre'd made it a very unpleasant start to our cruise. However, we did 4 nights in Giovanni's that cruise and it was fantastic every time with impeccable service. Our Chops filet was awful BTW and my dh and I both had filet. We might considerr trying it again on our next Freedom cruise in January but only if the maitre'd is different. I don't get angry often but she pushed all my buttons and then followed us to the table to continue to berate us we couldn't get away from her, it was embarrassing but it still didn't ruin our cruise!!! Love the Freedom and look forward to Jan 7th.

We were on the same cruise as the OP. We had a great dinner in Chops, we never tried Sabor because the menu didn't appeal to us.

I think the problem with the internet service was the same as the TV service -- both rely on satellite dish technology, which was severely compromised this cruise because of the weather.

We just got back from being on Freedom for almost 3 weeks and I agree with the OP. Chops was not good at all, Giovanni's has a new menu...no filet mignon anymore and everything was bland but service was good and Sabor was excellent. MDR was too hit and miss so the Windjammer saved our three cruises...the food was great in the Windjammer!

Still sad about no filet at Giovanni's it was our best meal ever. Might have to stick to MDR this time. We can always find something we like either in MDR or WJ just always like the option of alternatives. Sabor does sound like a good choice though. Never done that one.

So the Deluxe Drink Package includes all specialty drinks from Starbucks?

None of the unlimited beverage packages include any beverages from the licensed Starbucks venues on Oasis class ships.

Thank you for the review, most people are going to pay restaurants because they want or because of a sale but the more people go the better service gets at MDR since the waiter have less tables to take care. I have never purchase a pay restaurant onboard since I prefer to spent that money on land in a restaurant I really like and is not hit or miss.