New HA Cruiser here and I have questions dear readers...

Sadric

Hello Everyone!

So... We have cruised many times but always seem to be on different lines. We never seem to build up loyalty anywhere. Basically we cruise based on timing and ship/ports. This time it is my wife 43 and me 43. My son 11 and my mother in law (she is like 200 or something). Anyway we were looking at Disney and while there price is ridiculous what turned us off is that we have been on the DCL Fantasy before and the shows hadnt changed. So we were THIS CLOSE to booking on the NCL Escape (we generally like NCL although we have some issues) and were going to book 2 rooms in their Haven class but felt like they were "bait and switching" us as the suites were many decks down from the Haven courtyard. My wife and I decided to look around and came across Holland America. The itinerary was awesome (December 10 Eurodam) and decided to give it a whirl. I was lucky enough growing up to have money (there is no point in lying) and we took a lot of vacations. My grandparents raised me and I went on every cruise under the sun. I learned early that ...

1. Cocktail Hour begins at 4 PM regardless of age (mine or theirs)

2. You dress up . End of story.

3. Trivia...Bring your "A" Game or don't show up. Period.

4. Bingo...Ditto.

5. My grandmother who is german would always say "You don't have to like it but you WILL try it. Jetzt schnell essen! (I learned Escargot is amazing this way but she hated the French so it annoyed her I liked it)

6. When mixing a Manhattan, it is a crime to use anything other than Canadian whiskey . Then you merely wave the sweet vermouth cap over the drink and add more whiskey. For my grandfather's 7 and 7's you can use the same whiskey and then look at the can of 7-up, glare at it and then add more whiskey. Garnishes in both drinks are for weaklings.

7. Tip. Tip more and then add to the tip. Half at the beginning of the cruise.

8. Beware the baked goods as they add odd ingredients that you don't think are in there. A beautiful cake? Flavored with lemon pledge. Stick to the after dinner drinks they would tell me. Grand Marnier is plenty sweet (The fact this was french was ok apparently).

Anyway...We have gotten in a cruise rut and I have forgotten my roots. Too many water slides and bad buffets.

So...

We booked on the Eurodam. We have 2 Neptune Suites.

1. Will there be kids his age? How is the kids club? He is fine with a normal pool. He is a quiet and gentle kid but I want him to feel like he belongs there. He makes friends easy

2. How formal is formal nights? I didn't see if there was one but I saw there might be somewhere. I just need to know tux or dark suit. I have no idea what women wear so my wife is on her own as is my crone mother in law.

3. Are the suites well done? I need coffee for sure.

4. How is the On Demand movie system? We love renting movies

5. I see there is an onboard theater. Do they show good movies?

6. How is the Entertainment on HA? Are the shows good?

Anyway that is all for now. I will be sure to toast my grandparents on board with a scotch . Single malt. High Peat. No pansy water. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Best

Sadric

Edited by Sadric

Hello Everyone!

So... We have cruised many times but always seem to be on different lines. We never seem to build up loyalty anywhere. Basically we cruise based on timing and ship/ports. This time it is my wife 43 and me 43. My son 11 and my mother in law (she is like 200 or something). Anyway we were looking at Disney and while there price is ridiculous what turned us off is that we have been on the DCL Fantasy before and the shows hadnt changed. So we were THIS CLOSE to booking on the NCL Escape (we generally like NCL although we have some issues) and were going to book 2 rooms in their Haven class but felt like they were "bait and switching" us as the suites were many decks down from the Haven courtyard. My wife and I decided to look around and came across Holland America. The itinerary was awesome (December 10 Eurodam) and decided to give it a whirl. I was lucky enough growing up to have money (there is no point in lying) and we took a lot of vacations. My grandparents raised me and I went on every cruise under the sun. I learned early that ...

4. Bingo...Ditto.

5. My grandmother who is german would always say "You don't have to like it but you WILL try it. Jetzt schnell essen! (I learned Escargot is amazing this way but she hated the French so it annoyed her I liked it)

6. When mixing a Manhattan, it is a crime to use anything other than Canadian whiskey . Then you merely wave the sweet vermouth cap over the drink and add more whiskey. For my grandfather's 7 and 7's you can use the same whiskey and then look at the can of 7-up, glare at it and then add more whiskey. Garnishes in both drinks are for weaklings.

8. Beware the baked goods as they add odd ingredients that you don't think are in there. A beautiful cake? Flavored with lemon pledge. Stick to the after dinner drinks they would tell me. Grand Marnier is plenty sweet (The fact this was french was ok apparently).

Anyway...We have gotten in a cruise rut and I have forgotten my roots. Too many water slides and bad buffets.

So...

1. Will there be kids his age? How is the kids club? He is fine with a normal pool. He is a quiet and gentle kid but I want him to feel like he belongs there. He makes friends easy it really depends upon the cruise, but at that time, I would guess yes. In any case, HAL club will be operating and he will have a great time. HAl excels at kids programmes IMO. Club HAL is one of the best kept secrets on HAL :)

2. How formal is formal nights? I didn't see if there was one but I saw there might be somewhere. I just need to know tux or dark suit. I have no idea what women wear so my wife is on her own as is my crone mother in law. formal night on HAL is now called gala. I know, go figure, Gala sounds much dressier than formal, but in reality you can go from anything from a collared shirt and nice pants to a sports jacket, suit or tux. All are fine and totally acceptable. Wear what make you feel good. I have a feeling from your post you will want at least a jacket (as does my DH)

3. Are the suites well done? I need coffee for sure. There is a nexpresso machine in your suite, but my preference is for the coffee in the Neptune Lounge (which you have access to of course). If you like short coffees, you will be happy. Overall, HAL maintains the suites quite well IMO. They are spacious, roomy and very comfortable.

4. How is the On Demand movie system? We love renting movies I haven't been on a ship with on demand yet. That's new for HAL. If you don't have on demand, there are a ton of DVD's you can rent (for free). Just ask your concierge.

5. I see there is an onboard theater. Do they show good movies? Most times yes. Late run movies that would cost $ to rent.

6. How is the Entertainment on HA? Are the shows good? entertainment is debatable. Seems to depend on the ship and the sailing. I have seen some great shows on HAl and some not so great. Entertainment is not one of HAL's strong suits.

Anyway that is all for now. I will be sure to toast my grandparents on board with a scotch . Single malt. High Peat. No pansy water. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Best

Sadric

Your post was a hoot - so I had to try to help. My answers are above in red.

Since you are doing Neptune Suites, you do have a concierge in the Neptune Lounge who will take care of just about everything. No front desk, just go to them for everything from shore excursions, reservations in the specialty restaurants, etc. One stop shopping ;). Oh, and don't forget breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill :). Hope this helped. And glad you recognize the good liquor ;)

Edited by kazu

Hello Everyone!

4. Bingo...Ditto.

So...

1. Will there be kids his age? How is the kids club? He is fine with a normal pool. He is a quiet and gentle kid but I want him to feel like he belongs there. He makes friends easy

Assuming kids are out of school, yes most likely there will be kids onboard. Club HAL is very nice and organized. Plenty to do.

2. How formal is formal nights? I didn't see if there was one but I saw there might be somewhere. I just need to know tux or dark suit. I have no idea what women wear so my wife is on her own as is my crone mother in law.

HAL Formal nights are now called "Gala", less formal but some do get all gussied up. Very relaxed, two on a 7 day cruise. Dark suit is fine but not required, collared shirt and dress slacks work fine.

3. Are the suites well done? I need coffee for sure.

The Suites on the Eurodam were all redone last December to the new HAL standards. Coffee maker in the suite. Interactive TV's, Neptunes are very spacious.

4. How is the On Demand movie system? We love renting movies

Movies can be selected on the TV in your room, no DVD's!

5. I see there is an onboard theater. Do they show good movies?

Movies are not 1st run but they have a nice selection.

6. How is the Entertainment on HA? Are the shows good?

Shows in the lounge are very nice plus there most likely will be a magician and/or comedian. The crew does theme shows. The hot spot is BBKings Blues Club!

Best

Sadric

See My answers above. By the way we will be on that cruise but staying until New Years Eve! The Eurodam is our favorite ship! We are HAL cruisers. Any other ?'s please ask, many folks will help! See ya on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will buy you a drink (only the good stuff) I promise . I'm on deck 7. My son and the hag are on 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thx Woodford Reserve, neat! Our favorite spot is the Ocean Bar, Happy Hour 4 to 5 daily! 2nd drink $1. Crows Nest HH is 10 to 11!

Edited by mllewis48

Don't expect the same production values in the shows on HAL as on Disney. I am not saying the HAL shows are bad but I have yet to see a show onboard any cruise line that can compete with Disney. As to the other entertainments (comedians, magicians, jugglers, singers, etc.), they are basically the same on all cruise lines.

Since you have been on a variety of cruise lines, I am sure you will find a number of things you really like about HAL (as many of us have).

Have a great cruise!

Name is Ryan . I'm tall . Blond/brown hair . You'll know be my order ..the high peat scotch

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Mike here, my hair used to be brown but Mother Nature took over, graying now see ya at the OBar!

crude slob!!!

Fear not, dear KruiserKat

My post is in jest. I love my mother in law. I love her enough to take her on good vacations and I just bought her a condo 50 feet from my house. My wife and I have been together since high school so she is like a mother to me and always we will be. She is like 200 years old though

Fear not, dear KruiserKat

My post is in jest. I love my mother in law. I love her enough to take her on good vacations and I just bought her a condo 50 feet from my house. My wife and I have been together since high school so she is like a mother to me and always we will be. She is like 200 years old though

No fear Ryan I caught the "jest" comment. It appears many MIL's would love to have you as their SIL? Look forward to meeting the "old hag" and your family!

Since you are new to Holland America and Eurodam you might want to consider reserving a lido cabana for greater comfort while watching your son swim. We had one when we took our granddaughter on her first cruise. We loved it...very comfortable, an attendant near by, frequent snacks including chocolate covered strawberries and champagne.

There are also Retreat cabanas on one of the high decks. Some people prefer those because they are more isolated.

Cabanas can be reserved for the entire cruise by calling HAL or they can be reserved by the day after you board. For warm weather cruises requests often exceed availability.

Love your post... we too bop around various cruise lines and I am Platinum on DCL. That being said I don't sail with my family on that line: i book with friends who pay their half! I've hauled my kids on all cruise lines including Princess and we did one HAL when they were older than your child. My kids were bored: there was pretty much nothing for them. However they were happy to stay with us in the Family Retreat Cabana we booked and read books and listen to music.

I thought the production shows on HAL at that time were dismal. The performers were far better than the material they were provided. That being said I think they're going after a younger demographic now and I'm hoping its changed a bit. I will find out in a few months!

If your kid has a DS/gaming system and reads, he will probably be fine. He may also make a friend. Do not expect the kids clubs like you have on NCL or Carnival or Royal though. My kids hated the teen clubs once they aged out of the little kid stuff which is why we started doing lines other than DCL. Since they always liked good food and service, they were fine with HAL.

I believe it is only Neptune suites.

Haven't been on the Eurodam since last Christmas but it was our understanding that it was all Suites, is this definite? We'll be in her for 21 days in December so I guess we'll find out then?

Edited by mllewis48

On the Eurodam it's my understanding that only Signature and Neptunes have the Expresso machines, part of the Dec 2015 changes.

I sailed in Signature suites on the Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam in April and May of 2016 and there were no expresso machines in the cabin.

Haven't been on the Eurodam since last Christmas but it was our understanding that it was all Suites, is this definite? We'll be in her for 21 days in December so I guess we'll find out then?

Yes, Neptune Suites + up only. It is one of the new amenities listed under Neptune Suites and PS.